It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the origin of the word Sirius?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I have been thinking alot about this lately. About the Sirians and Sirius Star System, and my question is simple. How do we (as humans) know that Sirius is called "Sirius?" How long has this star been called this? Who were the first people to call it that?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum. I wasn't really sure where to put it.

[edit on 6/1/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Sirius

Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky with a visual apparent magnitude of −1.47, almost twice as bright as Canopus, the next brightest star. Pronounced /ˈsɪɹiəs/,[15] the name Sirius is derived from the Ancient Greek Σείριος.[16] The star has the Bayer designation α Canis Majoris (α CMa, or Alpha Canis Majoris). What the naked eye perceives as a single star is actually a binary star system, consisting of a white main sequence star of spectral type A1V, termed Sirius A, and a faint white dwarf companion of spectral type DA2, termed Sirius B.

Sirius is bright due to both its intrinsic luminosity and its closeness to the Sun. At a distance of 2.6 parsecs (8.6 light-years), the Sirius system is one of our near neighbours. Sirius A is about twice as massive as the Sun and has an absolute visual magnitude of 1.42. It is 25 times more luminous than the Sun[7] but has a significantly lower luminosity than other bright stars such as Canopus or Rigel. The system is between 200 and 300 million years old.[7] It was originally composed of two bright bluish stars. The more massive of these, Sirius B, consumed its resources and became a red giant before shedding its outer layers and collapsing into its current state as a white dwarf around 120 million years ago.[7]

Sirius is also known colloquially as the "Dog Star", reflecting its prominence in its constellation, Canis Major (English: Big Dog).[17] It is the subject of more mythological and folkloric tales than any other star apart from the sun. The heliacal rising of Sirius marked the flooding of the Nile in Ancient Egypt and the 'Dog Days' of summer for the Ancient Greeks, while to the Polynesians it marked winter and was an important star for navigation around the Pacific Ocean.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yeah, but did the Greeks create that name? Or was the name given to them?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Considering that the greeks took a lot of their stuff from the Egyptians they might have that from ancient egypt. I siriusly dont know.

Maybe beings from sirius wanted us to take it siriusly so they let us call it that.

Lets see what others say.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Sirius was astronomically the foundation of the Egyptian religious system. It was the embodiment of Isis, wife and consort of the god Osiris, who appeared in the sky as Orion.

Ancient Egyptians called Sirius the 'Dog Star', after their god Osiris, whose head in pictograms resembled that of a dog. In Egypt, Sirius shines for most of the summer, and since it is such a bright star, the Egyptians actually believed that the additional light from this nearby star was responsible for the summer heat. This of course is not true. However the origin of the phrase 'the dog days of summer' comes from this ancient belief, the 'dog star' being the root of this common saying

www.crystalinks.com...

[edit on 1-6-2008 by clay2 baraka]

[edit on 1-6-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

wow, thanks for that info. I think you should put the other link you had back up too before you edited it. they both contain great information.
So I guess Sirius has many different names, none of them bieng technically correct???

I just wonder what the "Sirians" would call it themselves...if they do exist.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
if you look up...i think they are called the dogon tribe, its a tribe in africa who supposedly for hundreds of years have known not only about sirius but also about sirius' sister star which we havent been able to see until we invented powerful new microscopes. According to their legends, lizardmen came from the sky and said they were from a dual star orbiting with sirius, and gave the dogons specific information which matches the path and trajectory, and even type of both stars. check it out, its some crazy stuff!!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Osiris...right. Forget all about that.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

In Mali, West Africa, lives a tribe of people called the Dogon. The Dogon are believed to be of Egyptian decent and their astronomical lore goes back thousands of years to 3200 BC. According to their traditions, the star Sirius has a companion star which is invisible to the human eye. This companion star has a 50 year elliptical orbit around the visible Sirius and is extremely heavy. It also rotates on its axis.

This legend might be of little interest to anybody but the two French anthropologists, Marcel Griaule and Germain Dieterlen, who recorded it from four Dogon priests in the 1930's. Of little interest except that it is exactly true. How did a people who lacked any kind of astronomical devices know so much about an invisible star? The star, which scientists call Sirius B, wasn't even photographed until it was done by a large telescope in 1970.

The Dogon stories explain that also. According to their oral traditions, a race people from the Sirius system called the Nommos visited Earth thousands of years ago. The Nommos were ugly, amphibious beings that resembled mermen and mermaids. They also appear in Babylonian, Accadian, and Sumerian myths. The Egyptian Goddess Isis, who is sometimes depicted as a mermaid, is also linked with the star Sirius.

The Nommos, according to the Dogon legend, lived on a planet that orbits another star in the Sirius system. They landed on Earth in an "ark" that made a spinning decent to the ground with great noise and wind. It was the Nommos that gave the Dogon the knowledge about Sirius B.

The legend goes on to say the Nommos also furnished the Dogon's with some interesting information about our own solar system: That the planet Jupiter has four major moons, that Saturn has rings and that the planets orbit the sun. These were all facts discovered by Westerners only after Galileo invented the telescope.

The story of the Dogon and their legend was first brought to popular attention by Robert K.G. Temple in a book published in 1977 called The Sirius Mystery. Science writer Ian Ridpath and astronomer Carl Sagan made a reply to Temple's book, suggesting that this modern knowledge about Sirius must have come from Westerners who discussed astronomy with the Dogon priests. The priests then included this new information into the older traditions. This, in turn, mislead the anthropologists.

This is a possibility considering Sirius B's existence was suspected as early as 1844 and seen was through a telescope in 1862. It doesn't seem to explain a 400-year old Dogon artifact that apparently depicts the Sirius configuration nor the ceremonies held by the Dogon since the 13th century to celebrate the cycle of Sirius A and B. It also doesn't explain how the Dogons knew about the super-density of Sirius B, a fact only discovered a few years before the anthropologists recorded the Dogon stories.

It is also important to remember that although many parts of the Dogon legends seem to ring true, other portions are clearly mistaken. One of the Dogon's beliefs is that Sirius B occupied the place where our Sun is now. Physics clearly prohibits this. Also, if the Dogon believe that Sirius B orbits Sirius A every 50 years, why do they hold their celebrations every 60 years?

Sirius A is the brightest star in our sky and can easily be seen in the winter months in the northern hemisphere. Look for the constellation Orion. Orion's belt are the three bright stars in a row. Follow an imaginary line through the three stars to Sirius which is just above the horizon. It is bluish in color.

Sirius is only 8.6 light years from Earth. Astronomer W.Bessel was the first to suspect that Sirius had an invisible companion when he observed that the path of the star wobbled. In the 1920's it was determined that Sirius B, the companion of Sirius, was a "white dwarf" star. The pull of its gravity caused Sirius's wavy movement.

White dwarfs are small, dense stars that burn dimly. Sirius B is, in fact, smaller than the planet Earth. One teaspoon of Sirius B is so dense that it weighs 5 tons.

So did alien fish-men pay a visit to ancient Earth and give the Dogon their knowledge? Or was the Dogon's culture contaminated by western visitors? Or could the Dogon's have had ancient technical or non-technical means to find this information out? Or is the whole thing just a matter of coincidence?

The question maybe settled as larger and more powerful telescopes take a look at the Sirius system. According to the legend there is a third star: Sirius C, and it is around Sirius C that the home planet of the Nommos orbits. Most scientists do not consider any part of the Sirius system a prime candidate for life, though.

When Temple first issued his book in the 1970's there was no solid evidence of a Sirius C. In 1995, however, two French researchers, Daniel Benest and J.L. Duvent, authored an article in the prestigious journal Astronomy and Astrophysics with the title Is Sirius a Triple Star? and suggested (based on observations of motions in the Sirius system) there is a small third star there. They thought the star was probably of a type known as a "red dwarf" and only had about .05 the mass of Sirius B.

So has the home star of the Nommos been discovered? Or is this just another strange coincidence?

MOD-Note: You need to put stuff you havent written into EX-quote-Tags. I put it into external quote tags. Taken from ufoevidence.com.

Thanks.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

So which civilzation came first I guess is the quesion. I am aware of the Dogon tribe having knowledge of it though. Clay gave a great link into the origins of the word from different civilzations and what they called it. I'll see if I can find it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
www.halexandria.org...

Here it is. I think this is interesting:

Sirius has been identified by some as the Biblical star Mazzaroth (the Book of Job, 38:32). The Semitic name for Sirius was Hasil, while the Hebrews also used the name Sihor -- the latter an Egyptian name, learned by the Hebrews prior to their Exodus. Phoenicians called Sirius, Hannabeah (“the Barker”.), a name also used in Canaan. Meanwhile, The Dogon Tribe, from the Homburi Mountains near Timbuktu (West Central Sahara Desert in Africa), have an apparent lock on traditions as they were able to describe in detail the three stars of the Sirian system.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
"The Barker"? Thats another addition in a long list of DOG-relations to this star.

(And who called the DOGon that name?)

Any connection to Dog-Headed Egyptians or the fact that DOG is the reverse of GOD?

Maybe, maybe not.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

hahah...oh lord...this just gets more and more complex doesn't it??
Time to buckle down and do some more reseach into this. It's hammer time.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
skyfloating are you following me?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

I follow what you're saying. The Egyptians came long before the Dogon's or so I think. Not 100% on that but I'm about to look it up and find out. I've considered also the legend about the "dolphin people" coming to earth and teaching them everything they know.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
"The Barker"? Thats another addition in a long list of DOG-relations to this star.

(And who called the DOGon that name?)

Any connection to Dog-Headed Egyptians or the fact that DOG is the reverse of GOD?

Maybe, maybe not.

I looked but everything I have read suggests that the origin of the word "dog" is unknown.

dog (n.)
O.E. docga, a late, rare word used of a powerful breed of canine. It forced out O.E. hund (the general Gmc. and IE word; see canine) by 16c. and subsequently was picked up in many continental languages (cf. Fr. dogue, Dan. dogge), but the origin remains one of the great mysteries of English etymology. Many expressions -- a dog's life (1607), go to the dogs (1619), etc. -- reflect earlier hard use of the animals as hunting accessories, not pampered pets. In ancient times, "the dog" was the worst throw in dice (attested in Gk., L., and Skt., where the word for "the lucky player" was lit. "the dog-killer"), which plausibly explains the Gk. word for "danger," kindynas, which appears to be "play the dog." Slang meaning "ugly woman" is from 1930s; that of "sexually aggressive man" is from 1950s. Dog tag is from 1918. Dogs "feet" is 1913, from rhyming slang dog's meat. To dog-ear a book is from 1659; dog-eared in extended sense of "worn, unkempt" is from 1894. Dogfish is first recorded 1475; dogwood is 1617, earlier dog-tree (1548).

Source: www.etymonline.com...

And I also found this which suggests that the Dogon's learned everything from the Egyptians and were decended from them, hence the Egyptians would have used the word Sirius first and would have given the knowledge to the Dogons???

Allegedly, when the Dogon left Egypt, they brought with them sacred knowledge in the form of oral traditions, perhaps handed down by the ancient priests of Egypt.
The Dogon creational tale is laced with metaphors that are similar to other legends of creation throughout the world. One need only compare them and understand their metaphoric content, to understand the nature of our reality, past, present, and future.
According to Dogon mythology, Nommo was the first living being created by Amma, the sky god and creator of the universe.
He soon multiplied to become six pairs of twins. [This is a metaphor for one source/soul splitting into two - yin /yang, when it enters into the electromagnetic energies of third dimension. See twin flames] [Also see 12 Around 1]
One twin rebelled against the order established by Amma, thereby destabilizing the universe. [The focus in our duality has always been to restore balance, through healing, especially as many myths foretell that at the end of time there will be a judgement day.]

Interjection....Lucifer anyone?

In order to purify the cosmos and restore its order, Amma sacrificed another of the Nommo, whose body was cut up and scattered throughout the universe. This distribution of the parts of the Nommo's body is seen as the source for the proliferation of Binu shrines throughout the Dogon region. (This is similar to the story of Isis -- Osiris -- and Horus.)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
skyfloating are you following me?

If you look carefully, I posted here and in that other thread before you did, so maybe you´re following me?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

If you really want to get into this, I recommend "The Sirius Mystery" written by Robert Temple. It was written a few years back so you'll probably be able to find it really cheap on amazon.com or even free at your local library.

I read it a few years ago and it explores the relationship between Egyptian culture, Dogon legends and the Sirius star system. I believe there is even a chapter that contrasts Babylonian/Egyptian/Sirius links.

Good luck!

[edit on 2-6-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think some believe that ancestors or "gods" were from Sirius.

I think it is also linked with water deities. I will try to back this up with some links.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yes, that is what I thought, originally that the Sirians themselves gave us the information, but the problem is proving it, obviously.
I know in my gut that this is the case though. I just wanted to try and pinpoint which civilization they gave this information to. So far the earliest I've come across of the Sirius star system being called Sirius is by the Egyptians. Anyone wants to prove me wrong, please do. I'm interested to know.

As a side note, sorry to get off topic, but I watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy recently and that is what got me thinking about this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join