It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Television Finally Began Ruining Something I Love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Alright guys as some of you might know i'm a mixed martial arts fighter. If you didn't know you do now. Well, I just barely tonight watched the cbs fight night thing they had. And it pisses me off! They totally made mixed martial arts fighting look like the wwe! I'm so frustrated mixed martial arts is not about half naked girls, fancy entrances, or corporate America! Their main event was Kimbo Slice. Granted he has fist of steel, a huge lean build, and is skilled. He is not deserving of a main event. He is brand new at the sport and is just barely learning to use ground games. There are LEGENDS that have earned main events of that magnitude that have never recieved one.

Cbs is just using Kimbo's internet fame to call him a good fighter. God i'm pissed off. They are going to ruin the image of the sport and leave a bad taste in my mouth. If I could punch the man who came up with this idea of putting MMA on primetime cbs, I would. Someone ease my pain, wipe my tears away, GIVE ME A HUG. :bnghd:

[edit on 1-6-2008 by USMC-oorah]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I watched this last night and intended on posting my own rant, but I'll just contribute to yours.

If EliteXC wants to go "mainstream" with MMA, then they need mainstream to accept MMA for what it is. After watching last night, EliteXC changed what MMA is in order to suit what CBS wanted. The stoppages last night with Kimbo and in the first fight of the night were blatant early stoppages of fights that probably would have ended anyways. But why stop it when they did? Because CBS doesn't want some guy on the mat with his eyes rolled back in his head. So what they did was take the fighters opportunity to recover and call it a fight before anyone has been put out.

Thompson was still on his feet last night and Miragulotta called it a fight. Disgusting.

And how about Lawler vs. Smith? They called the fight?

If the doctors and referees would have stayed out of the way, they could have put on a good show.

Fight of the night? Gina Carano.

At this pace, EliteXC will be gone by this time next year. Had Kimbo not been the headliner, I wouldn't have watched and I wouldn't have missed anything.

I'm frustrated as well after having watched that last night.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I feel your pain...

While I'm not a huge MMA fan, I couldn't name more than two or three fighters if my life depended on it, and my knowledge of the sport is miniscule...even I know this was a travesty. I tivo'd it, so I could watch it, and I wasn't impressed in the least.

So, I feel your pain...and here's a big manly hug.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thank you for all the back up on this. I have been reading around and it seems alot of people think the same as us. I've listened to a couple local sports announcers completely rag on my sport and call it "barbaric,disgusting" yadda yadda F**KING hell. I want to just slap some people sometimes.I believe that a sport like this is not meant for the mainstream. It's a sport you honeslty have to get into. Corporate television can't shove this one down your throat like they want to! And I completely agree the fights were pathetic and I couldn't bear watching them.
corporate television DIE!

And thank you for the manly hug. I needed that.

new topics

top topics

join