It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jailed for Protesting Gitmo: 34 Convicted for Demonstrations Outside Supreme Court

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

We are breaking the law. Jailed without charges. Our country's founders fought against the ability of a monarch to detain individuals without charges. Not to mention torture.

This is against the law and it is wrong.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Gotta love people who preach about their "founding fathers" yet they do nothing about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Yeah, free spech seems like it's getting to be about as free as "Free Credit Report .com", where you have to pay to get a free credit report

I bet "Bill O'Really?" will probably label them as terroists on his show and flame anyone who disagrees with him on that (that ball sack face, with vagina eyes).

One of these days this wonderful site will be gone, probably for multiple "laws" it will break in the future, after all we bunch here at ATS are a bunch of terroists...
To the vilotalers of the Constitution, Bill of Rights.

-Jimmy

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOOmOO

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

We are breaking the law. Jailed without charges. Our country's founders fought against the ability of a monarch to detain individuals without charges. Not to mention torture.

This is against the law and it is wrong.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Gotta love people who preach about their "founding fathers" yet they do nothing about it.

And what are you doing about it, mOOmOO?

-Jimmy

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Another example of how we have crossed the line, the point of no return. There is nothing that can be done now, but wait, militantly.

[edit on 6/1/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is absolutely depressing. I feel everyday the very ideals that brought me here are soon to be nothing more than a memory that will fade into the backdrop of war. Where the only thing anyone remembers how to do anymore is live silently, and kill.

I wish there were words to express how this truly makes me feel. It's as if the Earth has been pulled like a carpet from underneath my feet, replaced by something utterly unrecognizable yet so obviously ugly. I fills me with rage to think that people will just accept high treason as "business as usual."

I don't know what more to say. There isn't anything in this article that I can understand as a Just and Constitutional action. Welcome to America, formerly Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, to become, Land of the Secure, Home of the Scared.

I never thought, nor was I aware, that there was such a thing a "Criminal Free Speech", what the hell kind of oxymoron is this? Who the hell came up with this linguistic garbage? And by who's authority did this take place? These people committed no crime and yet would be found guilty of committing a crime usually reserve for slander cases. There's no slander here, there are no lies. Just a small demonstration.

Welcome to the Fascist States of America.

We'll all be chanting FSA! FSA! in short order.

Good luck to all of you.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Not buying anything American

What are you doing about it?

I also profit of American companies and taking my money out of America and not paying US taxes on it.

It's so great to not be in America, now I wish America would get out of my country and take their bases with them, they are putting us in danger by their actions.

How about we go and set up our bases in America? I bet you wouldn't like that but you seem to think you can put them up in ours.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
First, it does not take a genius to see that allowing people to demonstrate anywhere, even in places that would disrupt or make impossible other peoples activities, is a violation of other peoples rights. When people do that they are saying that their rights are more important than other peoples rights, which reveals their true intent and personalities in my opinion. I doubt these people give a damn about the Detainees. They just want attention and they are barely out of puberty.

"Unlawful Freedom of Speech" is not a law, it is a quote an attention seeking attorney, acting as a witness, got into his dialog during the trial. The author of the article the OP linked to skillfully presented it as though it was a law.

These protesters were free to protest all they wanted on the sidewalk in front of the building. That was not good enough for them, because they intended on being arrested from the outset. They instead opted to protest in the plaza were they interfered with the rights of everyone just trying to do their jobs. If this were allowed, due to the insane number of causes and protesters, it would shut the whole government down. Only an idiot would defend that behavior. But then these are kids we are talking about here; barely out puberty and egged on by a radical History Professor.

A Better Source

During a three-day trial, prosecutors presented a videotape that showed several officers warning the protesters to remain on the sidewalk, where demonstrations are legal, or risk arrest.

I think it is clear that these people decided in advance not to protest, but to knowingly violate a reasonable law and to force the Police to arrest them. They succeeded. Don't boohoo them now as they got exactly what they wanted, including the publicity that I think was their real purpose. I don't believe these kids care about the people being detained at all. If they had not done this, they would have picked another cause out of the hat and gone with it.

Do you suppose they have even considered that when these detainees are released they would just as soon kill them as look at them? After all these protesters are Infidels in their eyes.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Where are you from? You've never said where you are from, so I suspected you are from the US. I believe we should get our bases outta other countryies, when did I ever say otherwise?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I find it rather refreshing to see the majority of posts here aren't by rednecks (except one)...

Seems there's a plague of them on ATS these days...

The "right" to peaceful protest with a minimal disruption to the rest of the populace should be a given, IMHO...

If some disruption will occur, then the relevant authorities should ALWAYS approve such protests, and organise law inforcement or whomever to control traffic, clear roads, etc...

Anyone who thinks otherwise will likely be the first to the labor camps...

Peace

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Rilence]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What nonsense I'm emailing......100 media outlets now.

Wish me well.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antmax21

Antmax....

ENGLISH, pleeeeeaaassse

What is it you are doing right now ?

We're not mind readers

Peace

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
These protestors were definitely trying to get attention for their cause I think that is why they were "protesting". It is up to you to decide if attention is warranted. Many people are not even aware of this issue and it's importance. "Unilateral executive determination" in the hands of "The Decider" George Bush.

and moomoo I am glad to hear you are not buying american...neither are we.

This is fromThe Nation.

There was an immediate tidal wave of protest--and not just from the usual suspects. John Hutson, a retired rear admiral and former judge advocate general of the Navy, not only protested but organized 60 former military officers to object. The National Institute of Military Justice, the organization of military lawyers, denounced it. High-powered legal scholars like Judith Resnick of Yale Law School, David Shapiro and Frank Michelman of Harvard Law School, and Burt Neuborne of New York University Law School circulated a letter describing the legislation in the starkest of terms:

"The Graham amendment embodies an effort to alter fundamental precepts of our constitutional order. It consigns the protection of fundamental human liberties to unilateral executive determination."

An editorial in the New York Times concurred: "History shows that in the wrong hands, the power to jail people without showing cause is a tool of despotism."

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You keep on posting what you post, Leo...

Anyone except the rednecks on this site (and we know who they are) will either agree with you or stay silent...

The thing is to ignore the rednecks

Peace

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Do you suppose they have even considered that when these detainees are released they would just as soon kill them as look at them? After all these protesters are Infidels in their eyes.

Ahh I get the name now, you are a mind reader eh? Well, since you can obviously read the minds of these detainees why don't you pick their brains for useful intelligence on the war on terra like the location of OBL?

Vas

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Vasilis Azoth]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This seems to have been going on for quite some time now...

Check out this video, this kid gets arrested and tasered for asking John Kerry some questions:

www.youtube.com...

And then all of the people in the audience sit there and act like sheep, completely ignoring the fact that that guy's right to freedom of speach was being trampled by fascism.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Yeah, if I were there, those punk cops would have had to call for back up and an ambulence, I would have went to town on them, cops are getting way outta control, I'd just return the favor. I don't advocate violence, but these a-hole cops are getting to me.

-Jimmy

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

I couldn't agree with you more.

They are quickly turning into fascists.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
This seems to have been going on for quite some time now...

Check out this video, this kid gets arrested and tasered for asking John Kerry some questions:

www.youtube.com...

And then all of the people in the audience sit there and act like sheep, completely ignoring the fact that that guy's right to freedom of speach was being trampled by fascism.

They're just responding to the "Programming" they've received thru the media and teevee shows and the federal school system [ brainwashing camps ].

We're in some seriously deep doodoo.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

some people take "freedom of speech" too litearlly

Read this article in its entirety if you want to support your own ideals, then you must also be well versed in the counter-agrument, and this article here covers that better than anything i've ever read.

Your freedom of speech is contingent on the freedoms of others. When you violate someone else's freedom in an attempt to exercise what you feel is your own - you have ruined the actual meaning of freedom of speech, and you are not entitled to it in this manner.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
wow..if I thought I was depressed when I woke up today,
well now I`m just...................lost...............................
almost outside of my body.........separated....alone......

I feel like a criminal..... a renegade........but I`m not .......its so strange...
scary......

I feel like my thoughts are being monitored....but I know there not...
(I hope anyway)

you know?... like... BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING......

WTF ..... Justice is......... forgotten.......replaced with.........Control..

RULE..........RULE..................RULE....................RULE

I`m actually becoming afraid to care...... afraid to care?

the mindf*^k that "THEY" are doing on us is extreme to say the least.

afraid that my caring thoughts ,words and actions will
make me a criminal in the eyes of the so called "LAW".

is that insane? or what?

afraid to go to a protest because I might get ,tazed, arrested, kicked,
struck with billy clubs, gassed, mased, convicted, injured , ect,ect,ect.

these are the rewards for CARING... and LOVING...

WOW.............................

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join