It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jailed for Protesting Gitmo: 34 Convicted for Demonstrations Outside Supreme Court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Jailed for Protesting Gitmo: 34 Convicted for Demonstrations Outside Supreme Court

www.alternet.org

"Article 6, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution states that any law or treaty that the US is party to is the supreme law of the land and binding on all U.S. courts (including this one). As has been stated in our opening statement and by defense witnesses, including Father Pickard, the Geneva Conventions, which the U.S. signed, has been, and continues to be blatantly violated. The Nuremberg Principles, which the United States helped write, state that individuals have a duty to prevent crimes against humanity from occurring and that if people don't act to prevent such crimes, they are actually complicit in them. We, who are on trial today, along with many friends, refuse to

be complicit in these crimes.

"We ask: Where are the judges and the legal professionals when it comes to confronting the criminal acts of our government? Will we be here five years from now? How many more people have to suffer before we end this horror?

"This is an historic moment. If justice is to come for the prisoners and Guantanamo, and all secret US torture centers are to be closed, it will happen because judges like you spoke out and people from across the political spectrum took nonviolent action to petition our government to make this a reality.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
We are breaking the law. Jailed without charges. Our country's founders fought against the ability of a monarch to detain individuals without charges. Not to mention torture.

This is against the law and it is wrong.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Protesters were convicted of "unlawful free speech" for peaceful demonstrations on behalf of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

Unlawful free speech? Oh what a wonderful world........

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Are there any people left who still believes the US is a free country?

I remember facing them a few times, recently, they've all gone silent.

This situation has gotten out of control. There is a breaking point, I don't know where it is, or when the citizens of the US will finally attempt to stand up for what used to be their freedoms... but unless something is done (government wakes up / judges wake up) before that breaking point is reached, the only way to re-gain freedom afterwards would be a revolution. Revolutions often involve some form of civil war.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I had not even heard about this protest until I saw this article on ATS tonight. More of us should do it. But what I find odd is that the media has not jumped on this. Even Keith O hasn't said anything about it. Oh, where are the media when they are truly needed? This should have been breaking news--like a shot heard round the world. Freedom of speech is gone.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged.

Unfortunately, there are STILL quite a few on this very site who will defend this and tell us all how we're "america-haters" for speaking up about it. According to them, we're all just delusional about the markings of fascism creeping up all over the place...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Wasn't it Jefferson who said,

that to stand up and protest a wrong doing was the act of a real patriot?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

How can people say we no longer live in a free country? We still have free speech "zones". These filthy criminals chose to participate in ILLEGAL free speech. Had they just used the proper permits and politely held their protest inside the giant cage, they would have been just fine.

[edit: I thought it was apparent but I guess not. ^This was sarcasm.]

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This is really getting scary. What the heck is "unlawful free speech?" Either it's free speech or it's not free speech. Call it like it is. To me, it looks like there is no such thing as free speech anymore.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by toasted
Wasn't it Jefferson who said,
that to stand up and protest a wrong doing was the act of a real patriot?!?!?!

Well, I'm not certain about your quote here, but I'm certain that he was quoted to say, "The People...are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberties."

So, yes, people who do this are the real patriots in the USA, not the blind/deaf flag waivers who accept every word of the government as absolute truth (because it isn't the truth at all).

However, not only have the people mentioned in the article have been violated of the Right to Free Speech, but also the Right to Peaceful Assembly. Even the Right to Petition for Redress of Grievances is under fire, right now as we post our concerns here!

Originally posted by Karlhungis
How can people say we no longer live in a free country? We still have free speech "zones".

The so-called Free Speech Zones are nothing less than an "abridgement" of our Rights under the Constitution...And as stated in the First Amendment (bold emphasis is mine):

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Merely establishing such Zones is an abridgement of those Rights simply because there is no such thing as "illegal free speech" defined anywhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights!

What irks me most is that, in the Constitution, all government Officials in all three Branches, at both State & Federal levels must swear/affirm a legally-binding Oath to obey the Constitution (Article 2, Section 1, Clause 9 & Article 6, Clause 3) & yet very nearly all of them (with the rare few exceptions, like Ron Paul) violate those Oaths as soon as their butts hit the Office chairs. And it's the "reasoning" of people like Karlhungis that lets those criminals in government get away with with their crimes!

[edit on 1-6-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

I was laying on the sarcasm pretty thick in my post. I guess some people really feel that way, but I doubt they would actually vocalize it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I was laying on the sarcasm pretty thick in my post.

Ooops! I had to do a quick edit because I posted before I'd typed a reply...

Considering that this forum is text-only, I missed the sarcasm in your "tone of voice." I apologize if I offended you.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Karl was being tongue-in-cheek there midnight. He's mocking the fact that in order to legally protest, people are now being herded into "free speech zones" which are usually blocks away from the intended target they are trying to give a counterpoint to, essentially silencing them.

This crap is sickening.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is sad and sickening. I would suggest that everyone Flag this thread. There needs to be more attettion brought to this. Unlawful Free speech????? Isn't that like saying "free sample" but it'll cost you a nickel!

That is the sound our your rights being flused down the toilet in the name of a safer america against evil-doers.

edit- speech is not spelled speach. :bnghd:

[edit on 1-6-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So I take it from the article that these geniuses decided to march into the middle of the Supreme Court's proceedings to air their feelings?

I'm sorry, but if that's the case, they're idiots. What did they expect to happen? Free speech is one thing, but you cannot interrupt the proceedings of government in order to do so. In doing so, you are actually violating the free speech rights of all the people that are represented BY that government. Guess they didn't think of that.

Ultimately, laws such as this serve a purpose. If you let EVERY protest group do this, the place will be nothing but a circus (of course, whether it already is can be debated lol). NOTHING will ever get done because you'll constantly have some group of morons interrupting the proceedings.

Maybe next time, they can try marching into the Oval Office and exercising their 'free speech' there, too. I'm sure that'll go over real well with the Secret Service.

EDIT: Never mind. This is what happens when you wake up and start posting too early in the morning. In this case...Oops. Reading comprehension sometimes doesn't kick in 5 minutes after I wake up.
It looks like they were outside the SC, which makes this quite a bit more dubious. I'm pretty sure that there are laws against protesting on the SC steps, but this is a much lesser problem than what I had originally thought they'd done. Still, if there are laws against it, they should've been aware of that. I'm not in favor of any jail time or anything like that, however.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
So I take it from the article that these geniuses decided to march into the middle of the Supreme Court's proceedings to air their feelings?

Can you show me the part where they marched into the middle of the Courts proceedings? I read they were praying on the steps in an attempt to petition the court. I read nothing of marching into the court. Did you gather this from a different article? If so can you please link it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Read my edit. I misinterpreted the article. Too early in the morning.

Crap, I can't even get THIS right yet and had to edit it! lol.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by this incident. We've seen this many times before. I suggest we continue to educate the constitutionally illiterate on their responsiblities as U.S. citizens.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Starred and flagged...this is sickening!

How many more straws must be piled on before the camel's back breaks?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

welcome to the new America
where everyone has the right to freedom of expretion

Terms and conditions apply

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join