It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane watch 2008

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

It will be interesting to see if we get a one two punch from these two systems, anyway things are looking to get rocky for August, and I wonder what September will bring.

Here in Missouri it's unbelievably cool for August highs are in the low to mid 80's, this is kinda freaky in itself.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The storm behind Fay is being sheared apart...

As far as Fay, still forecast to take aim at Florida, just the Gulf coast this time. Still a long ways away and things could change a lot.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
There haven't really been that many hurricanes this season... less I'm not paying attention or they were all really weak.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Worldwatcher (as well as everyone in South Florida), I just wanted to pop in to send you my support and good thoughts.

I know that you are good prepared to face the hurricane, (as you did before) but this way you know that we still keep an eye on you and are worried for this situation.

Please, take care all of you.

Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A hurricane warning was issued Monday for southwestern Florida as Tropical Storm Fay moved into the Florida Straits, the National Hurricane Center reported.

The warning, from Flamingo to Anna Maria Island, means hurricane conditions are expected within 24 hours.

Monroe County emergency officials suspended their evacuation efforts for the Florida Keys and warned visitors and residents to stay off the Overseas Highway and other roads, which already are experiencing freshwater flooding.
Forecasters expect hurricane as Fay enters Florida Straits

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Everyone watch yourselves down there!!!

[edit on 18-8-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A hurricane and tornado watch was just issued for northeast Florida and south east Georgia. I live near the Ga-Fla. state line. Also under a flood watch.

Now getting light rain from the outer bands of the storm.

We'll spend the rest of the evening taking down bird feeders and getting ready for about 75 mph winds. Not bad enough to leave but do need to prepare.

The large amount of rain and tornadoes are the main concern in this storm.

Batten down the hatches......Fay is coming to town.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Good luck to you and any other ATS members in it's path.

So far we seem to have been lucky, no monster storms to this point.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I live down in South Florida and this past storm was pretty much a laughable event as far as south Floridians are concerned. It brought some much needed rain to the area and is being seen as more of a good thing than bad thing. Sure it got windy and rainy and we even had a small tornado or two, which is never good, but over all this was not what we would consider a "bad" event.

A few fallen trees, some people with power outages, some screening for pool areas downed, ect ect.

Compared to Wilma a few years ago, in which I lost power for over a month, this was just another afternoon thunderstorm.

I just hope they stay like this, because quite in contrast, a category 3 and up storm, is no laughing matter.

-xmad

[edit on 19-8-2008 by xmaddness]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Tropical storm Fay is actually strengthening OVER land.. this is comparable to what Wilma did in 05 but Fay is nowhere near the strength that Wilma was at.
Dr Masters, at the weather underground site has even stated that she is forming a complete eye wall over land and there is even talk that she will move over into the Atlantic, reform and then potentially threaten Florida again, or Georgia.
The other scenario is that she starts moving back west, into the Gulf, strengthen a little and hitting somewhere along La area.

Wunderground

Tropical Storm Fay (AKA "The Joker") is pulling a trick that may be unprecedented--significantly intensifying over land, developing a full eyewall. The radar and satellite images of Fay this afternoon (Figures 1 and 2) show a much better-organized storm than the Fay that made landfall this morning. Fay now has a symmetric appearance with a full eyewall, and the winds near the center were sustained at 60 mph this afternoon at Lake Okeechobee. These winds are higher than anything measured at landfall this morning. Remarkably, the pressure has fallen over 10 mb since landfall, and I can't ever recall seeing such a large pressure fall while a storm was over land. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 crossed South Florida and did not weaken significantly, but "The Joker" has significantly intensified. It does happen sometimes that the increased friction over land can briefly act to intensify a hurricane vortex, but this effect is short-lived, once the storm is cut off from its oceanic moisture source. To have a storm intensify over land and maintain that increased intensity while over land for 12 hours is hard to explain. The only thing I can think is that recent rains in Florida have formed large areas of standing water that the storm is feeding off of. Fay is also probably pulling moisture from Lake Okeechobee. Anyone want to write a Ph.D. thesis on this case? Wow.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Another satellite image, I didnt want to stretch the other post out to much with another image on it, so i put it in another post..

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am right on the coast in Brevard county, FL. and we are getting absolutely pounded right now.....

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hang on people

FORT PIERCE, Florida (CNN) -- Tropical Storm Fay moved just off Florida's east coast early Wednesday after spawning at least seven reported tornadoes that ripped across sections of the state, the National Hurricane Center said.

The storm is expected to hug Florida's Atlantic coastline and strengthen slightly before making a hard left back into northeastern Florida, according to the hurricane center.

"This storm is going to be with us for a while," said Florida Gov. Charlie Crist. "Looks like it could be a boomerang storm."
Fay looks like it could be a 'boomerang storm'

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Nope, someone be ready to play taps, Fay is dying

Forecasting the intensity of Fay continues to be difficult. Last night, Fay moved very slowly, and at times was almost stationary. The result was that Fay's center never emerged fully out into the Atlantic. Instead, Fay continues to weaken as a storm normal should over land. Winds have fallen, central pressure is closer to tropical depression strength, and there is no eye structure left.

wunderground

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Tropical Storm Gustav formed Monday in the central Caribbean, the National Hurricane Center said.

The NHC warned the storm could produce more than 2 feet of rain in some areas.

At 2 p.m. ET, Gustav had maximum sustained winds near 60 mph, the NHC said in an advisory. It was centered 225 miles southeast of Port Au Prince, Haiti.
Tropical Storm Gustav takes aim at Haiti, Dominican Republic

This is the seventh named storm of the hurricane season.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Looks to me as if Gustav's COC ran the length of Jamaica, from East to West. No news so far on how they fared. General model agreement with the NHC tracking takes it towards GRand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

I was looking at the trough in the WV view, and thinking that it was moving somewhat SE; if that is true, there might be a possibility of Gustav moving more easterly, toward the Sister Islands. I'd expect it to intensify once clear of Jamaica, as it's getting into decreasing shear, and warmer waters.

Conditions here this morning: Rain, BP 29.62 and falling, wind 15 mph from the NE, choppy seas -- whitecapped, with 3-4 foot swells.

Hannah looks to be getting sheared... outflow looks rather ragged, and general model probabilities carry it toward the Bahamas.

I'll check in later. I wanted to talk with OZ about this as well, but getting a little lightning now.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

There saying that Gustav could grow into a monster storm, the memory of Katrina still has people spooked and with good reason.

Gustav becomes hurricane after blasting Jamaica

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This is not looking good at all

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Gustav's top winds got up to 115 mph (185 kph) Saturday morning, raising the storm to Category 3 status, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricane Gustav is expected to pass over the western tip of Cuba later Saturday as it moves into the northwestern Caribbean.

Forecasters warn Gustav could grow to be a Category 4 hurricane as it barrels toward the U.S. Gulf Coast for a landfall late Monday or Tuesday.

Gustav is the second major hurricane of the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season.
Hurricane Gustav intensifies on its path to Cuba

And we also have Tropical Storm Hanna and two more systems not far behind, things could get out of hand really quick.

Tropical Weather Outlook

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
All these storm systems really have me a bit nervous. The Gulf is about an hour South of my current location. I have already stocked up on batteries, water and food that wont spoil when the power goes out. My plan was to ride it out, but if this storm hits a Cat 4 I will begin to seriously reconsider. It was a Cat 1 when I went to bed and over night went to a Cat 3, so needless to say I am a bit on edge. There is supposed to be a decision later today if Mandatory Evacuations will be placed into effect. For those wondering, I am in Louisiana an hour N of the gulf and about 25 miles from the Texas boarder on I-10.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Gustav

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Gustav swells to dangerous Cat 4 storm off Cuba

NOLA weather radio for Louisiana

This is the main site for NOLA

Hearing the radio, it just announced that after passing Cuba it could get to a cat 5.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join