It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Hebrides sighting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
hi there,

As many people on here know, i work for QinetiQ on their UAV programs,

i can assure you it does NOT look line any of our current programs,However it does look like a UAV that is being designed by a joint European program,

i will be showing the image to our senior engineer tomorrow , so hopefully i can get some more info.

As for the location it is very possible, the main places used for testing UAV`s in the UK are:
The Western Isles, South West Scotland, North Northumberland, South Lincolnshire /Cambridgshire border, and South West Wales.

i will try to get some info back to you in the next few days.
take care

snoopyuk

Ps. Intelgurl please get in touch, i have tried U2U`ing you but to no avail.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
Below is 'extras' added in to explain what she saw.

One thing that is odd not to the point that I completely discount the image is the fact that what your wife saw and the labeling of a right light on the left wing which is incorrect in any sense of aircraft lighting according to international flight laws.

-just a first observation with more to come.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Canada,
the origional is winging its way across the ether right now.

That still stands for any one else. You want the origional I am happy to mail it to you.

Its poor quality, low resolution, but free to any one who asks for it.

Regards, Dan.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I got your image Dan and ran it through a hex and yes the original claims to have not gone through photoshop. out of interest why did the first ones posted say they had?

Just another observation on the build of this UAV. I really see shapes/ideas from other UAVs and planes like the rear section and wings of say the Polecat and the front end of a F-117 ish plane intakes etc.

I looked up Intelgurls mention of the Bae Taranis but that seems to be at least the versions I'm finding much more along the lines of the X-45C and in some cases having the 2 concepts mislabeled. the models in those images (if they are correct) don't lead me to believe this is the Taranis or 45C. In fact it looks more like the 45A version

X-45A (no longer flying)

X-47B (first flight planed 09)

Taranis (first flight planed 2010)

X-45C (never completed)

*on a side note the first metal was cut for the Taranis in Nov 2007 I don't think its had its first flight yet
www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I sent the origional to some one who is in magazine editing (pictures) because i wanted it blown up or made sharper to see if more details could be gleaned from it.

I had to re-upload the origional from the camera because like a numpty I deleted the origional and used the one I sent to lee. Had it been earlier and I not been so keen to get it onto the web page I would of noticed that A) the colour looked weird and B0 the file name was an extra digit.

As soon as i had it pointed out to me by intelgurl I reloaded the origional and made my apologise feeling VERY sheepish.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Dan Tanna,

good effort, but you can still tell its a fake. the focus is out. Although it is a better fake that the pic you supposedly took over Afghanistan of the stealth bomber.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Dan tanna...

looks very fake to me. focus is out. Although it is a better fake that the pic you supposedly took over Afghanistan of the stealth bomber.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk

i can assure you it does NOT look line any of our current programs,However it does look like a UAV that is being designed by a joint European program,

Hmmmm... You hinting at the Dassault Neuron by any chance...?
Does fit the wing shape etc. but i thought it hadn't gotten off the drawing bord yet

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Polskoo24]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Can I suggest you create a photobucket account which has built into it a function to shrink the size of you photos you upload.

On the subject of focus there isn't mush he/ his wife could of done to fix it though I don't completely disagree that this could be a fake.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
First off, its no fake. Second off, I have been shy with the exact location because other combat aircraft make sharp low level turns around the particular location - Tornado bombers and eurofighters in particular and its a location i plan to go back to very soon due to its inaccessability and overlooked nature.

Nimrods often pass over at very low levels and if you have ever seen one of those at 100 feet its a sight to see, and no, flight limits around this area go right out the window and people aren't really supposed to be there but wild life watchers risk it as the whales / dolphins and seals use it as a transit point.

Secondly, look at all the other contributions I have made to ATS threads - why in hells name would I want to get banned when i am enjoying the site so much and learning new things ? I have posted the two photos of aircraft that are unknown to me in good faith -

And as for my first photograph you can be assured that it is solid gold, solid 18 carat gold pic.

The second pic comes right out of a camera memory card - EXIF data and all....

So i'll just go back to enjoying ATS and remember your login name, because if your still about when they get rolled out I want an apology.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Looks very avian to me
Given the clarity of the picture it's either a blown up crop from a much larger picture or else the original was very poorly focused - in which case possibly resulting from using a telephoto lens to try and capture a distant seabird in flight?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I have been shy with the exact location because .... its a location i plan to go back to very soon due to its inaccessability and overlooked nature.

I thought the picture was taken out at sea?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Dan please try to understand the ingrained skepticism that I and many others deal with on these forums and realize that I'm picking away at this photo as much as I can to either prove or disprove it and I can't take sides due to otherwise missing information.

I'm aware of the low level flight areas in the UK that are used for training purposes. I'm not familiar enough though to be able to tell you if some exist over bay/water areas for training etc. I understand your wanting to keep this fact on the down low since you technically shouldn't be there but I'm sure its not a sensitive as you may think. Location is key in order to pin down the location that this plane could of taken off from and returned to and the range involved.

Also does anyone else have ideas into the company making this or capable of making this plane etc? Bae is the one that has jumped to mind but the fact is they aren't in at least the white able to have a jet UAV operational at this time.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Canada,
I am not having a moan about people being sceptical as thats what being on ATS is about - trying to get to the bottom of things.

I don't mind people wanting the image to look at, heck I even sent you the origional - why on earth would i do that if i didn't have a genuine photograph with all data intact to send you ?

Heck - i'll come back and post a smiley face when these two get outed into the white world.

To be blunt i know that these are the very first photographs the white world has seen of both these systems and look forward to them being rolled out.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

I have been shy with the exact location because .... its a location i plan to go back to very soon due to its inaccessability and overlooked nature.

I thought the picture was taken out at sea?

Dude have you ever beed to the west coast of the Hebrides ? you either take a plane or ferry, then a drive down the island, then another smaller ferry and then if your friendly with the locals they will shuttle you to this point or near it and watch the whales and dolphins / other wild life with you for a small fee.

The Hebrides are hardly London city centre with good transport links.. and as for getting a boat to get you out to places, well good luck if you don't know any one there.

as for its over looked nature, most people wpould say your barking mad to be sat there with the currents and tidal shift of nearly 12 feet and the rocks and such like..

Thats remote, thats inaccessable, thats overlooked.

Clear enough ?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You said that this is a crop of the original picture. Can we see the full pic? and any others of the area? I live not that far from the Hebs, and am familar with some of the aircraft (and UAVs/Drones) that fly from there. I'd certainly give you an aoplogy if it turns out that this pic is real.... but I stand by my original in that it 'looks' fake... for the following reasons...

1) large focal difference between the object and background
2) Sharpness of contrats around the leading edge of the aircraft
3) foward leading edge of starboard wing is not straight, suggests a hand-drawn mask tool has been used
4) Light differences between object and background.

These are only my observations and i stand by to be proven wrong...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Dude have you ever beed to the west coast of the Hebrides ?

I know the Inner Hebrides very well
Not been out to the Long Isle though.

Anyway, so you're saying the picture was taken in a boat, just off shore of an uninhabitated stretch of coastline? I would guess somewhere around Harris? (The west coast of the Uists and Benbecula is mostly just machair, not particularly remote, plus there's the RAF missile testing range there)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Polskoo24

hi there,

As i have said on other threads on this subject i am not willing to name projects that i know are still not openly public.

sorry

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
To the OP, DAN TANNA .... ....

Please get in touch mate,
U2U me if you can.

thanks

snoopyuk

[edit on 4-6-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link