It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas children roped into Islamic tranining

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
reply to post by bodrul

Faith is not something that can be taught..however the history of a particular religion is. Preaching should never be allowed in a school.

I disagree. From my experience, I find faith is taught, but not in the classical understandings of education.

Faith is taught through one of two means, or a combination of both. Fear of punishment, or promise of reward.

Children have very susceptible minds. They will believe almost anything you tell them if young enough. Should you introduce the idea that they will go to hell if they don't believe in "insert god here", then they will believe through fear.
If you tell them they will go to heaven if they do believe, then they will alter their understanding of their world so that they believe.
With both those notions in place, it becomes a very hard task for a child to rid their mind of the concept of a god... they want to go to this "heaven" place you promised them... and they really don't want to burn in hell as you threatened they would.

This is why I agree with one of the other posters... religion, of ANY form, should not be introduced until the children are of an age to decide for themselves. 21 seems to be the best age in the US, as it's the age at which they are trusted with a few other adult materials... In Canada, I'd say the age would have to be 19.
Age of mental maturity essentially.

Any age before that, and they won't be mature enough to make the decision for themselves.

Besides, if you believe your religion is there to teach people to remain "pure"... whats the point of teaching the innocent?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

so your saying a kid should remain ignorant of other religions apart which one he/she is born into? untill they are 21

i dont see how teaching kids on other religions effects them badly in the long run. but would have the positive effect of not knowing about others and like some fearing others

thats just my opinion

[edit on 1-6-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't really understand the title. How is this 'Islamic Training'?

But, I believe there should be some discussion of the worlds religion in schools. It would help prevent ignorance and bigotry in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The only reason I can see to teach about Islam is from an historical stand point. It was, and is, a major force in the social/political climate of many regions. For example, Christianity was influential in the development of Manifest Destiny in this country. Other than that, religion has no place in a publicly funded school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join