It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Wing in Nuclear Goof has more Trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Air Force Wing in Nuclear Goof has more Trouble

www.cnn.com

BISMARCK, North Dakota (AP) -- The Air Force wing blamed for a foul-up in which a bomber mistakenly flew to Louisiana armed with nuclear missiles will have to be retested after coming up short in an inspection.

The Air Force Times said inspectors saw a security forces airman playing video games on his cell phone while standing guard at a restricted area. Another airman nearby was \"unaware of her duties and responsibilities\" during the exercise, the newspaper said.

The 5th bomb wing was recertified in the handling of nuclear weapons in late March. It had been decertified after a B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed last August with six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles in Minot and flown to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.

Ortiz said Friday that the base\'s B-52s would continue to be armed with nuclear weapons.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS Premium: Barksdale Missile Number Six: The Stolen Nuclear Weapon

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Seems like the folks at Minot AFB are a bit slow to learn from the past.

Their "What, Me Worry?" attitude with regards to securing some of our Nation's most deadly weapons appears to border on a lackadaisical "It's not My Job, Man" carelessness.

Or could it be that they all believe in the ability of a "Higher Power", perhaps operating out of the current White House, to protect and provide for them?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Bhadhidar]

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Bhadhidar]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You know that is really some scary stuff
We already have somewhere between 4 to 6 nukes they have lost do to accidents now we have them flying places and nobody is paying attention shhhheeeeeeshhh!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
First of all, it's an AP piece, which means it's there for a reason, probably to make it seem like the missing nukes/equipment or some future event was just due to incompetence (which they'll say they need more money to fix, of course) instead of orders from rogue elements.

My two cents.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This kind of "chronic" disregard for basic security procedures (Playning a video game while on guard in a restricted area!) speaks to something seriously amiss within the command structure.

Remember, this is the Second commander, in a row, at this same base, under which such lapses have been discovered.

That we know of.

And if a US nuke ever does make its way into "terrorist" hands, I hardly think the Air Force will be much esteemed for claiming that "It was just incompetence. We could have prevented it with more money".

Something is smelling distinctly rotten in the state of Minot.
And it would seem that nobody wants to admit they smell anything but roses!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
All kinds of these sorts of stories have been leaking out lately..
Like these..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of all the threads that discussed the nuclear weapons flown over the U.S. story this one was by far my favorite:

But, in general, I do think these issues are caused by a combination of our military stretched thin, global military commitments with no end in sight, and the government in general not being able to keep them under wraps whereas they probably would have been able to keep this stuff hush hush in the past. This type of thing isn't anything new..although the technology is different and the date has changed.

-ChriS

[edit on 31-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

We already have unaccounted for nukes... From decades of nuclear weapons mishaps, some of which involved lost nuclear weapons altogether....

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
"Ortiz said Friday that the base's B-52s would continue to be armed with nuclear weapons."

I had to laugh at that.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Something funny to add to this. It was scary as hell at the time but funny now. A certian ship in a certian port that I was working on was onloading cruise missiles of an atom splitting nature and I was watching from the bridge while working on radar, (leaning on the captian's chair drinking coffee while everyone was on deck) when I noticed the nice expensive onloader had a malfunction. A nuclear tipped cruise missile fell 15 feet, broke wide open around midsection and about 5 morons walked up and started poking around at it. Radiation never even entered into their mind. The next 14 hours were spent running proper drills and getting our butts rammed over proper procedure. You would be shocked at some of this stuff that goes on. Then again, you would be amazed at some of the precision talent that is produced in the military.

All I can say is you see stupid everywhere. In every branch of service and every line of work.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Roughly 20 years ago my friends, I personally knew the guys watching the goodies. These were some top-notch absolutely dedicated people! Sorry to see that somehow the 'training' or 'personnel selection' methodology must be very flawed.

Also, CNN, I can't help but notice, fails to address, even in a cursory manner, the fact that there ARE missing nuclear weapons. It seems a highly relevant point to raise in such coverage. Or have I been misinformed?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This isn't a conspiracy, but a failure in basic leadership. There are a bunch of Senior NCOs and officers that should be taken out and shot over this. Failure of an NSI was never taken lightly in the pass. This isn't like an ammo locker being left open; the SPs are guarding weapons that can turn a city to ash in a microsecond.

This never happened when we still had SAC. LeMay is rolling over in his grave about now.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I thought minot was decommissioned?

new topics

top topics

join