It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Really Proud??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I heard James Carville on the radio the other day defend Michelle Obama by vehemently claiming that she said for the first time she was REALLY proud of her country. The point being that she always said she was proud, it's just now she's REALLY proud.

Just a heads up, this is the Democrats plan to diffuse this issue, along with disparaging anybody who brings it up as playing dirty. You're going to hear them talk about the "REALLY" thing a lot.

When you do, think back to this video you're about to watch and remember how Michelle Obama added the word "really" only after they realized what how bad she looked the first time she said it:

[edit on 31-5-2008 by jamie83]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
As an over 50, Caucasian US citizen, I can certainly understand how some took sincere offense to Michelle Obama's remarks. I think it also important to admit that there have been many times in my life when I wasn't particularly proud of the manner in which my beloved country was conducting itself.

I would also ask that those who took offense also consider that growing up as an African American would certainly provide one with a different view of the US than those who have never suffered the humiliating experience of racism.

We have made great progress but we are hardly free of racism today. We have a long way to go and forward looking thinking is required. That said, we cannot simply expect our African American brothers and sisters to simply forget the terrible injustices they and especially their ancestors have faced. They cannot allow those memories to get in the way of future progress but we have no right to ask them to erase the pain from their collective memories.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night WatchmanThat said, we cannot simply expect our African American brothers and sisters to simply forget the terrible injustices they and especially their ancestors have faced. They cannot allow those memories to get in the way of future progress but we have no right to ask them to erase the pain from their collective memories.

You are correct in everything you said, up until the point where I quoted above, especially in reference to Michelle Obama.

Michelle Obama went to Princeton and Yale. I would be hard pressed to find any terrible injustices which she has endured. And I'm not buying into the concept that they have a "collective" memory. Michelle Obama has her own set of life experiences, and her own set of memories, and yet somehow she was able to speak the words, "For the first time in my life I am proud of America."

In case you missed it, there is an entire group of people, most of whom came of age in the 1960's, who HATE America. Hyde Park seems to be a hot spot. This is why Obama's associations with Ayers, Dorhn, Wright, and even his own wife make people pause and wonder if Obama himself doesn't harbor the same antipathy towards America as those around him.

And if he does, it will be a disaster for the U.S. if he is elected President. Watch the video where he says his plan is to weaken America's military. He comes across as being on the side of those who are AGAINST America, not for it.

This is why it IS a big deal when enemies of America endorse Obama. Who's interest will he REALLY be serving if he is elected?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Michelle Obama went to Princeton and Yale. I would be hard pressed to find any terrible injustices which she has endured. And I'm not buying into the concept that they have a "collective" memory. Michelle Obama has her own set of life experiences, and her own set of memories, and yet somehow she was able to speak the words, "For the first time in my life I am proud of America."

Yes she went to Princeton and Yale. I fail to see how that precludes her from having suffered injustices in both her childhood and adult life. Are you attempting to make the case that a degree from an esteemed University shelters one from injustice or prejudice?

And even if you could make that case, which of course, you cannot, please provide supporting evidence for your assertion that her college degrees retroactively protected her and her family from being discriminated against?

As someone who voted twice for George Bush, I can tell you that I am sick and tired of those who use fear to affect voters. It's not going to work anymore.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
"really" ... the true story ...

On that fateful day - in her first speech she said - 'for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country.'

A few hours later she gave the same speech and added the word 'really'.

Someone coached her between speeches.
And yes, it was a prepared speech.

[edit on 5/31/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And so, posting an unflattering picture of Michelle Obama is meant to do, what, exactly?

top topics

join