It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameras on Billboards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Do You Want To Be On Camera While Driving?

A new plan by start-up companies to install cameras on billboards to get a better feel for who their target audience is has some privacy advocates steaming, The New York Times reported.

Fox Story

NY TImes Story

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Sorry mods if this is not a good place for this thread, move if you like. _javascript:icon('
')

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't be that comfortable knowing billboards could be staring back. In the NYT article, the point was made that "Hey, it's no different than someone looking at you and taking down information", and "Cameras are everywhere - what's the difference?"...

The difference is, well, I am in my car, minding my own business. Even with the people around me in other cars, or those walking by, I am in a private area. Most people don't go out of their way to stare down everyone around them (most). Even if someone does make eye contact with me, I am not freaked out or upset because the moment lasts for second and then I will likely not see that person again. Then again, it is fun when you see someone at a red light on a nice night and start up a conversation...
But of course all this is voluntary.

The biggest problem I have is the potential criminal use of my image. Who knows what will ultimately come of this technology? Anyone ever see Minority Report?

I am the last one to ever criticize technology. I am a network and hardware engineer, and love new tech. But I also understand the motivation of humanity and the use much of it can come to when certain people have too much power.

new topics

join