It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says biotech key to easing food crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

US says biotech key to easing food crisis

rawstory.com

The United States will propose biotechnology as a strategy to boost agricultural production at a UN global food crisis summit in Rome next week, the top US farm official said Thursday.

Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer, who will lead the US delegation to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) world food security conference that opens Tuesday in Rome, said he would deliver a "straightforward" message.

With the United States contributing more than one-half of all the world's food aid, he said, "the world's other developed nations have an obligation to provide food efficiently without obstructing access to it or limiting safe technologies to produce it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This was entirely foreseeable; the US, where huge agribusiness corporations like Monsanto have been pushing their highly profitable GM foods upon consumers, is using the nascent food crisis and it's position as world leader in agricultural aid as wedges to open and expand markets for these corporations.

rawstory.com

[edit on 31-5-2008 by gottago]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It is insane to think we can modify natural plants and our food. This will be a disaster, no doubt. This is simply an effort of corporate power to control a commodity. The spin, of course, will be that it will save lives just like the war on drugs or the war on Terror.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Mmmm.... putting 2 and 2 together making 5, this makes me wonder if the plan all along was to increase the GM share of the food markets.
I also saw a report a while ago stating that many of the GM crops were also producing about 10% less yield than their natural counterparts. I'll see if I can dig something up later.

I think this is a very worrying development, putting the the farmers, and thus the consumers, at the mercy of large agricultural corporations.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Dont forgot Morgellons disease that recent study link to GM food !

(Search ATS for all articles and theory)

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I too foretold this move a while ago.

this development makes me wonder if this isn't the main reason they brought corn ethanol into being:

GM crops and famine

if GMOs are really adapted the result will be devastating, there is plenty of experience and most if not all is fully negative.

as i wrote in an old thread on Argentina's agriculture:

me, many months ago

A Field test of GM soya has proven a complete failure, the use of such crops will leave the landscape of Argentina permanently scarred, if enough countries follow suit, i presume the naive notion of 'combating world hunger' by genetic engineering will inevitably be turned on its head!

remember how BIOFUEL was the latest and greatest as little as half a year ago?

Do not fall for this agenda, our survival is at stake, this shortage has no natural cause it is the result of bad decision making by corporations and states and there is no reason to assume they magically sobered up during the last few weeks.

---------

Originally posted by Britguy

I also saw a report a while ago stating that many of the GM crops were also producing about 10% less yield than their natural counterparts. I'll see if I can dig something up later.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

GM soybeans' lower yields are explicitly adressed, but if you have more links they're of course very welcome!

[edit on 31.5.2008 by Long Lance]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheObjectReport
It is insane to think we can modify natural plants and our food. This will be a disaster, no doubt. This is simply an effort of corporate power to control a commodity. The spin, of course, will be that it will save lives just like the war on drugs or the war on Terror.

Amen to that. Here we are on this planet, that has sustained life for millions of years, yet we seem to think we are the ones who know best and need to change things through genetics? Have you ever noticed that everything on this planet that is ugly is man made, from the projects to Pamela Anderson's tits, we thought we were doing the right thing and clearly we ballsed it up big time. I don't think we should be playing that kinda game with our food!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago

This was entirely foreseeable; the US, where huge agribusiness corporations like Monsanto have been pushing their highly profitable GM foods upon consumers, is using the nascent food crisis and it's position as world leader in agricultural aid as wedges to open and expand markets for these corporations.

rawstory.com

[edit on 31-5-2008 by gottago]

Completely agree, if you take a look at the price of foods between march and dec 07 then compare it to their stock numbers you are looking at one happy coincidence. It's hard getting complete numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics but there could be a conspiracy.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I agree that corrupted corporate America is pushing the deadly GM foods to developing countries with food crisis, until now it has been a death wall when it comes to this countries accepting GM foods.

They may be starving but they are not stupid and they know how dangerous this altered foods can be.

In our nation corporate ruled government is open door to what it can be experimented on American citizens, after all when you get sick there is big corporate pharma to take care of your health needs.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
US says biotech key to easing people crisis.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Minor fun fact: Donald Rumsfeld once ran Monsanto, before he ran Iraq into the ground. Go figure.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
Minor fun fact: Donald Rumsfeld once ran Monsanto, before he ran Iraq into the ground. Go figure.

You have got to be kidding.

Go figure all right.......

Cheney and Halliburton and Rumsfeld and Monsanto. I guess war is a big business, as is world economy.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My bad: for the record, Rumsfeld ran Searle, which created Aspertame, and resigned when it was bought out by Monsanto for over $12 billion. Rummy pocketed over $12 million in the buyout.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Oh, great, another venue to show to the world how greedy and foolish our gov't is.

With right hand held to the heart at Pledge of Allegiance, the left hand is on some corporation's portfolio, pledging allegiance to it. With hands held in prayer, they say, Oh, Great Corporation, show us the folly of our ways and help make us into your image, to spread your message to the World.

The third measure, he said, will be a US proposal "that all countries consider strategies that expand research, promote science-based regulations, and encourage innovative technology -- including biotechnology.

Whose science? The corporation or corporation-sponsored study? Have these people no shame? A lab rat cares more about science than this administration! To them, science is something that gets in their way, unless they can exploit "discussions" about it to their way.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
US says biotech key to easing people crisis.

Brilliant!

With a combination of lower yields, poisonous properties, and damage to crop lands and non GM crops, GM foods are guaranteed to lower the population dramatically, and so solve the worlds hunger problem. All while producing incredible profits for the occult elite. The perfect combination.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Look, its simply true that the US does provide 1/2 of the world's food. They are able to be so productive in part because of wheat and grain that is resistant to pests, etc. I am sure that the rioters in teh streets of Alexandria a few months ago would take the risk of Morgellon's diesease, they were probably more concerned with giving their family food. But what do I know. I only eat probably 2500 calories a day due to the hyerproductivity of American farms.

If there is a choice between (1) pricing the developing world out of food or (2) giving GM seeds that result in higher cropyeild even if there is a non-prooven risk for a non-prooven diesease, then you know what, I'm going to chose the second one every single day.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The way i read the article made be nudge towards a different scenario.

The western world a few few years from now :

The biotech companies are providing 75% of the meat and veg we consume each year. Even the largest of farms succumbed to the financial pressures by being priced out of the market by the big biotech/pharmaceutical companies.

This allows any government/terrorist to use this as a vector for disease, control or killing agents to the popn.

ohh and the added by product of this.........you would be able to buy your milk with birth control added instead of the nasty old vitamins.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by juggle]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Instead of manipulating genes of the plants, why can't we try something else, like vertical gardening?

There must be better ways of growing organic vegetables (and meat for that matter) without resorting to the use of chemical and genetic warfare on the stuff we ultimately put in our bodies.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Yeah, that sounds like a plan to push GM food. Wonder which Monsanto shareholder pushed this idea through?

Don't paint all Monsanto employees with the same evil brush, though. I know one person who does the 'evil' work, and she's anything but evil. If anything, she believes that what she does is benevolent and a benefit, and I've heard her go on hilarious rants about the attitude toward GM food around the world. Me, I'm a little more cautious, but I figure she knows more about it than I do

Anyone have a source on there being lower yields, though? If so, that's troubling.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

They may be starving but they are not stupid and they know how dangerous this altered foods can be.

Source please? People in the USA are living longer than ever?? Although all the chemicals we ingest through food might not be "nourishing," do they really do that much harm (generally speaking)?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join