It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a Conspiracy site or a Religious debate Site

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Unfortunately this site is dominated by individuals that are not as open to debate and differing opinions and beliefs as they claim.
They are very tolerant as long as you believe what they say is the correct way to believe. Does that sound familiar. Well it is and it is the "Human Condition".
There are too many paranoid delusionists that will take over most if not all threads. I seldom attend this site any more. It is not worth reading the tripe that dominates.
2012 will come and go as will leaders of free and not so free countries. A new day will dawn with the same old problems. Some will see remedies others will not and new ones will be borne.
We are the cause and the cure...
We are our own worst enemies and saviors...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lantian
reply to post by sacerd

I don't see any Religion bashing going on here.. Just a whole bunch of people sick and tired of having threads overwhelmed with religiosity.. which disrupts the original meaning of the post.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Lantian]

Can you link some threads that have been overwhelmed by religiosity. Surely the MODS would have an interest in this too. As it is their role to keep threads on topic. Not the religious bashers.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
What has religion got to do with conspiracies and discussion?

Adam and Eve and the Sepent- Creation vs Big Bang vs Reptilian conspiracy.

Noah's flood - Dinosaurs, Archeology discoveries, Fallen Angels and Women and hybrids. With mount Ararat being hard to get too and Satellite images that could prove Noah's Ark but authorities cover it up.

Science and Historians covering up Biblical accounts vs Science and discovering all the time to confirm events and places.

Is Jesus a conspiracy? Which Jesus is real from all cultures? Was he an Alien?

Angels or Aliens or Ufo's or Eziekiel's wheels?

Man created by Aliens or created by God?

Egyptian history confirmed from the Bible, alot of history of that place and its characters are in the Bible and confirmed as being true including many empires since.

Constellations and its prophecy and star signs telling a forgotton story which is in the bible too plus astronomical events that line up with history in the making.

People, who has the right of land? Who is worthy which bloodline? Isaac or Ishmael? Isreal or Palistine?

The list goes on and you say relgion is just about faith? It's a bigger book that tells history of man and many religions claim that their origin story is more accurate than others so you will always find debate.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Kai Winters brings up a good point here. I am considering doing the same.
Many folks here preach and teach tolerance until someone disagrees with them and then you suddenly find out how intolerant they are while preaching and teaching tolerance.

Originally posted by Kai Winters
Unfortunately this site is dominated by individuals that are not as open to debate and differing opinions and beliefs as they claim.
They are very tolerant as long as you believe what they say is the correct way to believe. Does that sound familiar. Well it is and it is the "Human Condition".
There are too many paranoid delusionists that will take over most if not all threads. I seldom attend this site any more. It is not worth reading the tripe that dominates

I too read the post by Astysyntax. I thought it was made in frustration and in powerlessness....insecurity. It also came across as promoting the very thing they were complaining about in others.
I have read thier posts on other treads before and know Astysyntax capable of very excellent posting. Hence I was surprised by thier desperation.

I would like to make a parallel point here in thinking. To me politics is in fact religion. This becomes obviouis when one observes the zealousness and feverentness of the adherants of the body politic. Politics is also a relgion which operates in the hidden/secret as much of politics is not for public consumption or knowlege and yet it effects the very public with all that it does. The term for this kind of hidden dogma or secrecy is occult. This too is religion.

My point in going on this parallel or tangent is to point out that religion covers much more around us daily than most of us are wont to know or admit. It appears to me that many of you are provincial in your view of religion and only object to one template of religion. Many of you do not see that much of the posting on ATS/BTS/PTS is in fact about religion.
In the same vein Humanism is obviously what is so practiced by many here with the religion being the belief in science and technology. This religion works on the template that Human thinking and human values are the ultimate reallity in the universe. This is obvious to me in many of the posts here on the boards. If this were true ...we would be living in a better world than we in fact are today. It becomes obvious to me that there is another condition happening out here..one undefined by most peoples. Another condition..another set of rules or dogmas. Not known by most peoples.
We are seeing and knowing only parts of the story here. Science and technology are not helping here. Nor are our human traits and glorys.
What kind of religion is at work here where people only get half or less of the story and not enough to make a difference in the big picture. And this happens over and over and over?
This awareness hints at a continuous religion in operation out here. One in which its template is undefined...even unknown.
One of the templates of religion, which is becoming an awareness to me personally, is that certain religions..or dogmas operate in spite of borders..or natiionhood...even within other religions...within governments. In otherwords they are not limited by the usual restraints which many of us are wont to put on them.
I suspect that this is why many of us have difficulty understanding much about religion. I also suspect that this is going to give us great problems here in the USA in the future....if not already.

Be very careful as to what you are calliing religion and of what you object. Religion covers a much wider aspect and thought pattern than what many of us are even trained to observe.

Some food for thought here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I've been on ATS for a few years, and I love to discuss the different topics, etc! Recently, it seems like the atheists, non-believer type people are always trying to discredit God, Jesus, Christians, etc., so, of course, the Christians on the board are going to respond to their nasty, hateful, ignorant remarks, etc. If someone says that God is not real, or that Christians are just trying to control, etc., of course, you are going to start an argument. Do you think we are going to just sit here and take it?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In fact, ATS is an alternative discussion site.

The problem the OP brings up is the same problem I have with posters who happen to mention 9/11 in every single thread.

It can be applied to topics about Israel, NWO, UFOs, religion, War on Terrorism, politics et al. Somehow, no matter what the thread is about, outside information will be brought in and digress to another subject.

It happens. I have been here for five years and I can give you plenty of examples. Yes it is extremely annoying, but we all try to ignore it and maintain threads.

But no one is spreading propaganda on ATS.

Some members may act like a cult but cause no serious harm or damage to ATS.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Religion and Bible Scripture have no place in Threads that are not of a Religious nature. That is my point... Straight to the point to be exact.

To quote a friend here at ATS.. "I'm not here to have an Online Holy War"

Which is what this has become.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'm a little discouraged by this.. It can be any type of thread from UFO's to Contaminated food.. But some people cannot leave religion out of it.. Some topics revolve around Science with individuals always interjecting Gods will into it.. I'm a strong proponent of Free speech and all... But it gets so excessive.

You try to have a nice topic to share and debate but, People start going off topic with it.. and causes a ripple effect that disrupts the whole thing.

I'm not telling people what to do or think... Just stay on topic and not deviate from it.

P.S. I'm not talking about the religion conspiracy threads either.

~L

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Lantian]
You conveniently forgot to mention all the people who take shots at religious people in threads and the numerous threads made just to attack the religious. Its a two sided coin and you and this thread are a part of the problem you speak of.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Reading this thread along with the other "Creationist will destroy ATS" it seems to me that most members feel the way both OP's feel.

Most members feel the same way?

Internet's largest and most popular destination for "alternative topics" where more than one million people a month come to read over 4.2 million posts from our 110,000 members who contribute more than 100,000 new posts a month.

I see a handfull participating, on both topics.

Some pro, some con, you do the math.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Religion and Bible Scripture have no place in Threads that are not of a Religious nature. That is my point... Straight to the point to be exact.

To quote a friend here at ATS.. "I'm not here to have an Online Holy War"

Which is what this has become.

I agree...most of us are not here for an On Line Holy War. I think , however that you meant to say.....

"Religion and Bible Scripture have no place in threads which are not of the same religious or dogmatic nature?"

Thats my point..Straight to the point to be exact. Which is what this has become.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lantian

There is a saying about never discussing religion or politics. IMO, both are used to control and divert focus away from or toward divisive issues, i.e. 'my God's bigger than yours, or my party is better than yours'. I completely agree with you as per this hijacking interesting topics--I find you have to wait longer than a drink (depending on how fast you drink and how large it is). I've returned to a post the next day and still see them going at it. I want to read comments about the topic posted, and if I wanted to read about religion I could find any number of posts here on ATS or anywhere else on the internet. I have been guilty of straying OT (not with religion, usually with a closely related topic), but catch myself quickly and return.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR

reply to post by dunwichwitch

I myself have wondered if ATS promotes This contamination of Christianity
Into most Threads.. Lol.. It is like a Disease..
On another note
Could you imagine if the Dark ages would have never happened.. And an Intellectual renaissance had been pursued..

Where would we be right now?

I wonder the same, I also wonder about the future if we all escape from this planet and into the stars will it truely be the end of civilisation as no one will be able to keep each other in check.

Each religion will still maintain it's the true one and go around converting everything that comes into contact. We could possibly end up with seperate galaxies for each religion.

How do religions justify the conversion of other species in space when by their own admission God made everything in the universe..what if these aliens have their own religions. The potential troubles that could be caused.

If a crusades type scenario breaks out amongst the stars between planets as well then argghhh the destruction to the beauty of our universe is not worth thinking about.

Some people, think we have been not only monitored over thousands of years, but most likely are quaranteed to low earth orbit (with only a few exceptions, and even then are watched like a hawk) until human beings work out their "god" issues.

If space, on the other hand is religiafied like here on earth, it sort of dashes all hopes for a peaceful universe. From my vantage point, it would seem logical for advanced and peacefull races to work to maintain that peace and purity in the heavens by keeping religiosity out. Therefore, Earthlings would not be permitted to branch out and settle if it means the spreading of degenerative religious beliefs like a cancer.

I think it may also be because of political and socio-economic issues as well, but religion according to this theory, is a big reason humans have so much conflict with one another. It's at the heart of destruction and the creation of discontent and a very effective tool for mobilizing people, why would a super advanced, intelligent, and powerful speacies, assuming they exist and are here watching us, allow our types of civilization to flurish beyond? I think we still have a lot of growing and evolution to go through first, but that we are getting closer.

It's an interesting theory and may help shed light on why we haven't gone back to the moon, and why so many of our probes to mars had failures early on...may also account for a lot of the black ops and secret space program and development of HARP and weopons in space etc...

[edit on 1-6-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The thing that irritates me the most is not that people consistently throw religion into discussions that have nothing to do with religion, or that the forum is potentially being flooded by religious topics, but what makes me irate is that people choose to respond to these posters.

There is an easy way to derail a thread, it is not the presence of a religious poster, it is responding to one.

I have no problem with religious discussions, in fact it is probably the thing that I discuss and debate most amongst my friends, but unfortunately religion is simply not something that lends itself to discussion on the internet. You will never be able to have a cordial and intelligent discussion about religious matters with someone on a public internet forum.

My advice to those irritated by such matters is to merely not reply to off-topic posts, by replying you only contribute to the problem.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

But some people cannot leave religion out of it.. Some topics revolve around Science with individuals always interjecting Gods will into it.. I'm a strong proponent of Free speech and all... But it gets so excessive.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Lantian]

So,

what you're really saying is,

you are closed minded,

and hate being reminded of that fact,

whenever your focus gets disrupted by a God comment, eh?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I usually add a Biblical persepective to give people some knowledge that I feel is becoming lost in poltical correctness and the average joe forgets or is never going to be taught it.
We need to keep the other historical persepctive alive too as evolusion pushing out religion and saying keep it balanced is doing the opposite in putting the shadow over the another unproven view.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

Closed minded you say.. Well I say NO! Just tired of BS religious interjection where it doesn't belong!

It's a valid observation of what goes on in other threads..

Poke it with a stick, Step on it, Burn it.. yea.. That's a good one..

I SEE MOB RULE HERE... AND YOU ALL ARE IT.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lantian

I really haven't noticed because I have not participated in the topics , but I do think everyone have a right to express their opinion, if it pertains to the converstaion.

I havent' been overtly religious on this forum.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Modulus

So let me get this straight.. people preaching where preaching does not belong doesn't bother you (because it's in line with your views,) but if somebody defends their own position against that preaching (which is not in line with your views,) that's when it becomes a problem as an off-topic post?

Talk about double standards...

"We're allowed to butt into your conversations with our Jesus mumbo-jumbo but you better just read it and like it and not make any attempt to address it, or YOU'RE DERAILING THE THREAD!"

^^Basically, that's what you just said.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

reply to post by sacerd

I don't see any Religion bashing going on here.. Just a whole bunch of people sick and tired of having threads overwhelmed with religiosity.. which disrupts the original meaning of the post.

originally posted by atlasastro
Can you link some threads that have been overwhelmed by religiosity. Surely the MODS would have an interest in this too. As it is their role to keep threads on topic. Not the religious bashers.

I'll ask this question again as you have ignored it the first time. Can you please link to the threads that have been Overwhelmed by religiosity.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Sigh
This post is a fine example of getting off topic it's not a religious debate or deferences in views on this faith or that it's about "getting off topics"

Example Topic "Purple alien Chickens!"
20 replies later down we find George W caused 9/11

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join