It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gee Indiana Jones gets it wrong! Who would have guessed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Fictional movies gets it facts wrong....shocking

Most of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" takes place in Peru, but many Peruvians are suffering heartburn after seeing the movie's many clumsy -- and often insulting -- mistakes about their country.

Yeah you always want your fictional fantasy movies to be accurate......

However I do admit some were really, really bad!

On another subject I found the bouncing irefrigerator completely believable.....

Good movie but a poor source of facts

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

This movie sucked BIG time.

I'm not surprised in the least that they couldn't even bother to get the facts straight either.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Well duh its a movie if you want to see peru for what it really is then dont watch a movie and just go there yourself.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Absolutely!!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
It looked as if it was hastily re written to introduce the idea of Dimensional Aliens to a younger audience.

"Where are they from?"
"The space between space"

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Not to mention when Indy was flying it showed you them passing the country of Belize, the film is set in 1957 and Belize didn’t exist until 1973 (it was British Honduras.)

Oh and yea I agree with the above post, the part with the refrigerator was just stupid.

Mikey

[edit on 31/5/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yeah, and the Communist Party in Russia was pissed off about how they were portrayed too. I'm sure Great White Sharks were upset about Jaws too (not to be confused with Jaws II, which everybody was upset about.)

Who cares. I'm sure Lucas and Spielberg don't care.

I took my kids and we all loved it. I didn't think it sucked at all.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hard to do a fantasy movie without pissing off someone. The munkins were really annoyed by the wizard of Oz - seems it showed them as being a bit to short.

Didn't note the Belize one - good. I only noted the Quechua during the movie.

Yes the refrigerator was particularly annoying

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
oh my god.

seriously.

these people need to stop crying.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The Mayans did use boards to shape the skulls of their children but not to look like aliens or gods but to shape the heads to look like ears of corn which they believe the gods made them from.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
When I go see a movie like Indiana Jones........I know It's a story and I know it's fiction. For people to get so upset about the factual content seems petty. The part with the fridge was humerous but in no way would you live through that.........hence fiction.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
People love to argue about trivia. Errors in fictional movies is one great source of said trivia.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

The movie also shows quicksand, man-eating ants and enormous Hawaiian waterfalls, all of which do not exist in the Peruvian Amazonia.

I find it difficult to believe that quicksand and man-eating ants do not exist in the Peruvian Amazonia for some reason.

The source itself only seems to be serving to spread the flames.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Howdy anti-tyrant

I think in the movie he/thye said it wasn't quick sand. I forget what they called it. Army ants in the amazon will eat anything they can catch - but it was of course over dramatized in the film

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Its a dang-on movie, for crying out loud!!
I enjoyed the movie (probably because of the alien plot)

If you guys have nothing better to do than pick at factual inaccuracies in a fictional movie... I'd suggest a new pastime, cuz to be honest, thats rather sad.

Go outside and enjoy real life. That sounds like a plan to me. That, or stop watching movies.

Whichever.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ha ha we caught you in our maelstrom of trivia.

You know you want to join in.

The interdimensional aliens would want you to!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Ha ha we caught you in our maelstrom of trivia.

You know you want to join in.

The interdimensional aliens would want you to!

oh piddle!

I took it all as I would any other fictional movie (for god's sake, its not a documentary! lol).
I had my laughs, I had my eeks (those ants..)

but damn that alien.. i mean, inter dimensional...being... its eyes could've been bigger. And I think they're shorter than whats portrayed in the movie...

Oh hell. Now you've got me doing it.

but I have to say the ending was pretty neat. Good to see the inter dimensional beings can sense intention...

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Chiiru]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yeah this is a glorious waste of time

Why did the Interdimensional leave after the head was returned? The head would have been there for hundreds or thousands of years before it was removed...

Maybe they felt they had been discovered.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWright
When I go see a movie like Indiana Jones........I know It's a story and I know it's fiction. For people to get so upset about the factual content seems petty. The part with the fridge was humerous but in no way would you live through that.........hence fiction.

You're absolutely correct with those statements. I had fun watching this movie. I went to go see it because I am a fan of the previous ones. I'm surprised people haven't been ripping apart the previous 3 movies. How about we rip apart Lord of the Rings. No wait, how about Star Wars. Maybe the Bourne Trilogy (more fitting for ATS).

I was not dissapointed by spending $8 on a boring Friday night to be entertained by characters I've enjoyed since childhood. I would have went on the opening night, but didn't get paid til Friday. I hope they make a couple/few more.

They never claimed it to be based on factual events. It boils down to personal taste. Yeah, I may be a geek, but I accept that!

Maybe this thread should be moved to BTS.

In closing, I enjoyed how they (in my humble opinion) tied all those topics fitting of ATS into 1 movie. I've heard some critics complain about how the topics jumped from here to there, but I think it worked out quite fine. If you like the 1st three, then I recomend seeing it. Nothing further. Except, the fridge deal was a little bit much. If it was in a bomb shelter to boot, then....idunno. 2 thumbs up for me!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Yeah this is a glorious waste of time

Why did the Interdimensional leave after the head was returned? The head would have been there for hundreds or thousands of years before it was removed...

Maybe they felt they had been discovered.

well Indy and co. did manage to escape the portal, so it's only a matter of time when it'd be found by tourists and other fortune seekers and whatnot. I dunno.
thats just my guess.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join