It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ghost tried to warn me that night...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I had just bought a house that was located right next to a "not so well known" ghost town that was tucked away in the woods behind my house. According to internet maps and the local library the name of the town was "Colegrave". If you were to walk back into the woods you would find certain things here and there like large stone chimneys coming right up out of the ground. They looked menacing and seemed to be waiting as they stood alone silhouetted against the backdrop of the forest canopy. You might stumble upon the foundations of homes that have now been reduced to timeworn headstones. I have taken many hikes to explore the ruins and have never felt "alone". I dont know about the rest of you but sometimes when Im just out and about I occasionally get a very distressed feeling about certain places.
For instance, I dated a girl once whos father owned a little tail dragger airplane. He made a little runway for it so he could just fly it out of the backyard whenever he wanted. The little airstrip he made was surrounded by thick forest on either side, my girlfriend and I would sometimes take walks down it. I always had gotten an intense feeling of despair when we would reach a certain point and it was always at the same location of the runway as the patch of forest on the right side became eerily dark and unnaturally quiet, it was as if even the birds and animals didnt want to live or play there. When I told her my feelings about it she told me that the farmer down the road had a problem where a off his cattle had gotten sick and he had to put most of them down, she told me this happened before they moved there but in that part of the forest there is a giant hole with countless bones in it. That is where he killed most of them.
Anyway, those were the feelings I would get when I would take strolls behind my house in the woods, a very eerie feeling. I knew there were some powerful unseen forces that dwell there.
A couple years of years ago is when it started... the activity. Doors opening and closing by themselves, the water in the shower turning on, a dog of mine barking at the corner of my living room, on any given night I would experience one or all of the above mentioned oddities or even more. I hated sleeping there alone so I finally found a roomate who took the spare bedroom, I didnt even charge him rent because he worked for me at the store and thought what the hell, maybe I will sleep better knowing someone else is there in the house with me. So he took the spare bedroom.
I had finally been sleeping more soundly than ever before in that house but one night I woke up terrified of the sound that my bedroom door was making. I could hear the door handle being rattle as if somebody was trying to get in but I didnt remember locking the door. I sat there, upright, in my bed basically terrified out of my mind to the point where I couldnt move a muscle. All the while my door rattling and the door handle making that jingling metal sound I tried to rationalize the situation. Finally after 2 or 3 minutes of this I shouted "Joe! Cut the sh*t, go back to bed man!" There was no reply. I convinced myself that it was my roomate. Because he knew about the weird things that have happening there I thought he was playing a mean joke in the middle of the night. I yelled again this time trying to sound as mad and as mean as I could "D*mmit! , if I have to come out there I am going to beat your ass!" Still no reply, the door still being almost rattled off of its hinges. I finally got pissed enough to reach up and try and lock the door... the lock was broken it just kept turning and turning! So, I grabbed the door handle and swung the door open... there wasnt anybody there. I went from angry to scared sh*tless in record time. I reached back to my bed, grabbed my blanket and ran for the living room, grabbing the fire poker and then my cell phone from the kitchen table, I jumped into the chair in the back corner of the room and balled up.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Boruma

Good post, just a suggestion, it would be easier to read if you broke it up into paragraphs.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You titled your post the ghost tried to warn me that night, what was he or she trying to warn you of? Because all I can see is you were scared as anyone would be, but I don't read any mention of why you thought you were being warned.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Continued -
I pulled the blanket up to my chin, made sure my feet were tucked under and that no extremities were dangling over the edges of the chair. I stared down the hallway to my bedroom and watched in horror. The door to my bedroom opening and closing on its own... I could hear it. My heart rate was through the roof. I sat there panting like a dog, I couldn't even swallow. I grabbed my cellphone and dialed my roommates number, he didn't answer on the first ring. I called again and he finally picked up. "Hello...who is this?" He asked, barely audible.
"Its me man, can you please get up? Its an emergency... the house is on fire" It was the only thing I could think of to say that would guarantee that he came out of his room running. I heard some rustling and a thump and he came out running bumping into walls and chairs and everything else. "Relax, the house is fine, can you come out here and sit on the couch? Please I need to talk to you." I was desperate. He gave me the most wretched look and turned around and headed back into his bedroom. (Sh*it) I thought, before I could beg him to come back out he returned, blanket and pillow in hand, slowly making his way to the couch next to me in the living room. He sat down and gave me that look again.
"What the hell was that all about?" He asked puzzled but too tired to be upset. I proceeded to tell him everything that had happened to me in the past 10 minutes. He was kind enough to stay out there with me and talk. We changed the subject to a more regular one, we talked about work. That bored us both enough to fall back to sleep a short while later.
In the morning we both were heading out the door and I offered to drive he said "Sure" and thought it was a good idea he would finish his coffee on the way down the hill. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway I felt my brakes were a bit spongy but it felt there was enough juice left in em to get down the hills just fine and if it came to it, I had my emergency brake but I would never have to use that. We both started talking about what a crazy night it was on the way to work, the car felt fine and it was a beautiful day.
Almost to the store now, I was thinking I would bring my car into the repair shop that was at the bottom of the hill after work. We crested over the top and I gave my brakes one last squeeze just to make sure everything was fine. That was when I heard something pop and we immediately began gaining speed we were at 30mph. I kept my composure, I wasn't about to freak out again, I was already emotionally drained from last nights episode. The car was barreling down the hill at 40mph now. I casually brought my leg up and put my foot on the emergency brake and stomped down, that was when I heard another loud snap! I looked over at Joe. "Did you hear that?" I asked calmly, the car now at 50mph.
"Yeah, that didn't sound too good." He laughed it off. I realized he had no idea what was going on. My heart was pounding I thought it was going to burst out of my chest. Somehow I managed to look calm. I reached up for the gear shift and tried to downshift into 2nd. That was when we heard a loud grinding noise as if it just didn't want to catch. I looked down at my speedometer, 60mph!
"Hey Joe put on your seat belt, we dont have any brakes. " I said calmly, it was a completely ridiculous. He looked at me and chuckled. I started looking for a place to crash safely, there wasn't one. At the bottom of the hill the road turned into a T and you could go left or right or straight which would have been through somebodies house, that was unacceptable. I thought about taking the car to the right which would have been into a forest, I was sizing up the trees to see if they would stop us dead in our tracks or slow us down. I thought about taking it to the left which would have been messy and most likely rolled the car 7 or 8 times. I looked down, 75mph! I had accepted my fate, I looked at Joe "Dude...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Continued -

we dont have any brakes... if we die I am sorry, please forgive me!" His face went white, his jaw dropped and he death gripped the door.
"Stop f*#kin around man this isnt funny at all, slow down now!" He pleaded, but his words fell on deaf ears. I gently put the car into the other lane, into oncoming traffic but luckily there wasnt any traffic. "What the hell are you doing?!" Joe screamed at me. I didnt even turn to look at him, there was no time. We were about 500 yards to the end of the road, literally and quite figuratively. I took a deep breath and jerked the wheel to the right, back into the correct lane, the car went sideways at about 75mph down the street. Not a word from Joe, he knew the truth now. The car made the most horrific sound as the tires screeched and cried out for mercy. I looked behind us, which was actually just over my right shoulder, there was a gigantic plume of smoke covering the road in our wake.
I tried to straighten the car back out and accomplished that feat pretty effortlessly. Now we were going down the road at a much more comforting 40-45mph. Still not a word from either of us. I looked around for a place to crash again, still nothing looked good. (Well, it worked the first time.) I thought, I guess I give it another go. I was lucky there was still an empty oncoming traffic lane. I gently pulled the car into the other lane again and then jerked the wheel to the right again. This time the tires roared with a low bellow that could probably be heard for miles in every direction. We were about 50 yards from the stop sign at the end of the road. I tried to straighten the car out again but this time the momentum shifted to the rear of the vehicle and we started rolling backwards, but at a very comfortable 5mph at the most. The car backed itself into a ditch and we both let out a sigh of relief. "That was awesome dude, you did a f*#kin awesome job, wow I can't believe..." Joe went on singing my praises. I knew something was wrong I should have just listened... to my house the night before.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Not trying to accuse you of anything but is this a story you are writing? The detail you use seems like the kind of detail for a story someone would write. Is this real or a story?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by screamo

LoL, its odd, when this happened to me I was traumatized by it for quite a while to say the least. Im still not sure sometimes if I in fact died that day. Really tho, how would I know. Heh, its definitely real, I have played this day over and over in my head hundreds of times at least. I drive like an old lady now because of it.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Sorry it took me so long to get that experience out to you guys, I just thought it would be better to start from the relative beginning. For the record, this is a very true story. The car was a 99 Ford Taurus and cant help but think the wide wheel base is what kept it from rolling. Gotta love them cars, they run forever as long as you maintain them... which I apparently didnt do lol. Hope you enjoyed the story.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I hope people respond to this, it would make me feel better about spending all of that time writing, lol. Well, if anything at least I have a documented account of a once in a lifetime scenario. Thanks for reading my story if you made it all of the way through.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thank you for telling your story. I enjoyed the read, you are a good story teller. I do believe you and that makes it even more enjoyable. I am glad that you made it through fine. How do you know a ghost was trying to warn you though? It gave no specific info to avoid the brakes problem. Maybe it's just me, but I would be inclined to think that the ghost or whatever in the house extended it's reach to your car.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Maybe it would help if you went and got yourself a 12 gauge shotgun, loaded it, stand with it in a really menacing pose and announced to the house and everyone/thing in it that the next time funny stuff happened, you were going to @#$% something up.

new topics

top topics

join