It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelgurl RSVP: Re: Comanche Scrapped?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
one time a dod man said on discovery channel that the commanche was the latest of its kind because after that we will see antigravity propelled crafts. well my opinion is that the time has arrived earlier then expected
so they scrapt the commanche project because of that.
now they going to take as much as they can get out of the ah-64 and after that they will have disclosed the propulsion system for the future and they
will have a new weapon delivery craft build around that propulsion system.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
one time a dod man said on discovery channel that the commanche was the latest of its kind because after that we will see antigravity propelled crafts.

It is doubtful that we will see anti-grav anytime soon. In fact the Army is looking to deleop a replacement for its OH-58 Kiowa's and they will be conventional chopers. As a previous poster said, UCAV and URAV will be in our near future

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Yes, the Commanche was nifty. The week before they cancelled the project, I was crawling all over one in West Palm Beach. It was going to be fairly maintenance-friendly, believe it or not.

As was previously stated, the concept was outdated, the battlefield concept has seriously changed the helicopter isn't needed, now.

Another problem they had was that the military continued to add more whistles and bells to their list of requisites, and the airframe is only capable of so much before it has to be rethought.

As far as money going to black projects, I assure, my former employer and Boing are more than capable of blowing big bucks. The number of engineers that was employed for that project was pretty darned big, and you know how much engineers think they are worth!!
Ask a technician, how much the engineer is worth and we'll devalue the "idjoteer" by several thousand bucks/year!!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Up here in Connecticut, we were waiting to start production in the new Bridgeport facility.

From what I remember, my father worked at Sikorsky when the comanche was known as the LHX project. Most of the design goals were meet or succeded. It was a heck of a bird!

=-Rich

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah its so much easier to justify a mistake, when you can say "it looked like a robe clad column of AQ through the camera in the UAV/satalite but when we saw the cake through the TV guided missile camera it was kinda too late".

The present difficulties for helecopters vis RPG, MPADS and small arms fire is largely as a result of ROEs and the apparent insane desire to hover over ambush zones in built up areas.

Just how many helos are being lost and in what circumstances?

How much of this is just another sledge by the R&D backers.

Mk1 Eyeball, and the ever amazing human brain should remain in the cockpit, on the battlefield as close up and personal as you can get, if only to make sure we are not letting some UAV jock looking through a vid screen 50..500...5000km away blow up freindlies.

They still have a battlefield role what ever argument the warrior technogeeks say. People have been promising us Osprey next year for the last 15 years, and now they are talking about anti gravs? please.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
From what i heard from rather reliable sources, sikorsky had 5 commanchies on the assembly line (completed or not im not sure) when the cancel order was dropped... did they ever finish them? If so where did they go... secret black ops squadron? One can only dream :-)~

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealisticPatriot
From what i heard from rather reliable sources, sikorsky had 5 commanchies on the assembly line (completed or not im not sure) when the cancel order was dropped... did they ever finish them? If so where did they go... secret black ops squadron? One can only dream :-)~

the comanche couldnt fire missiles so it only has a chain gun and mabye be super against troops and good at scouting it would die if it met A2A troops or tanks or another helicopter.
it would have been beetter if they encorporated some lynx tech or apache stuff.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealisticPatriot

Well the airframes you are talking about are in the recently scaled back Bridgeport facility. As for finished aircraft, only the test articles survive. In terms of airframes, there were various parts from the suppliers also enroute. 99% of the resources allocated to the RAH-66 are now put towards the Stratford S-92 and Blackhawk/Seahawk production.

Right now the big project Sikorsky is lobbying for is the replacement for the President's Marine One..

=-Rich

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the comanche couldnt fire missiles so it only has a chain gun and mabye be super against troops and good at scouting it would die if it met A2A troops or tanks or another helicopter.
it would have been beetter if they encorporated some lynx tech or apache stuff.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by devilwasp]

Couldn't fire missles ehh?

I guess if Stinger, Starstreak or Mistral air-to-air missiles or TOW II, Hot II or Longbow Hellfire air-to-ground missiles aren't missles, then I would have to agree with you.

The Comanche carries its weapons internally and has a weapons bay on each side of the fuselage. The missiles are mounted on the weapon bay doors which open sideways. The internal weapon bay can be fitted with Stinger, Starstreak or Mistral air-to-air missiles; TOW II, Hot II or Longbow Hellfire air-to-ground missiles; Sura D 81mm, Snora 81mm, Hydra 70 rockets; or the Army Counter Air Weapon System. The number of missiles on each door mounting varies, for example each door will hold three Hellfire or six Stinger missiles. The helicopter can be reconfigured with optional stub wings fitted with multiple weapon pylons which carry an additional four Hellfire or eight Stinger missiles.

www.army-technology.com...

Please, the next time you are going to talk about ANYTHING make sure that you know what the hell you are talking about. DENY IGNORANCE!

[edit on 21-10-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ugh, AMM I hate that ugly ass muck up, the Comanche was a good lookin helo, but that pic says otherwise.

The Configs:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I agree - it looks much better in it's 'clean' configuration, but I needed a pic that made it obvious the Coanche could carry and fire missles.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

I guess if Stinger, Starstreak or Mistral air-to-air missiles or TOW II, Hot II or Longbow Hellfire air-to-ground missiles aren't missles, then I would have to agree with you.

i never said it couldnt carry them just that it couldnt FIRE them.
now , from sources here (abovetopsecret) , weapons of tomorrow (gd tv show) and from a mate who researched for ages because he loves it the comanche cant fire its missiles because when it does the helicopter spins out of control and crashes.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
there is the french version called the tiger, the only helicopter that can do a full loop...and there is the attach troop transport called the NH90...both are fully carbon fiber and the only ones to date to use fly by wire controls.

www.eurocopter.com...

www.robert-stetter.de... (video of the tiger doing loops)

hope you enjoy

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

i never said it couldnt carry them just that it couldnt FIRE them.
now , from sources here (abovetopsecret) , weapons of tomorrow (gd tv show) and from a mate who researched for ages because he loves it the comanche cant fire its missiles because when it does the helicopter spins out of control and crashes.

You know, it would be somewhat understandable if you thought it couldn't cary them, because the missles are in internal bays - but saying that they can't be fired??????

Give me a break dude! So it can cary them just not use them?

That makes a ton of sense

I think that the US military can make a helo that can fire missles without crashing, despite what your friend and some tv show said.

Nevermind the fact that I have seen video of the Comanche firing a hellfire.

But if you want to keep on believing that, go ahead.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I tried to find a piture showing it firing a missile but I found nothin. Some sites say it has fired a missile, but thats just words with no proof, I think the whole "If you fire it you will crash" is a bunch of BS, I do believe it has fired a missile, but a picture goes a long ways.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
There was some prelim testing of weapons fire on one of the test articles. Hellfire tests were conducted both in a live fire, and in a test opening of the weapons bay, all systems functioned normal.

However, the 20mm turret was never live fire tested. Just before cancelation, tests with a live 3 barrel turret were planned.

To my knowledge, Stinger Air to Air weapons were never tested.

=-Rich

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceghost
there is the french version called the tiger, the only helicopter that can do a full loop...

the lynx can do it and used to be the only one that could.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   

You know, it would be somewhat understandable if you thought it couldn't cary them, because the missles are in internal bays - but saying that they can't be fired??????

Give me a break dude! So it can cary them just not use them?

That makes a ton of sense

I think that the US military can make a helo that can fire missles without crashing, despite what your friend and some tv show said.

Nevermind the fact that I have seen video of the Comanche firing a hellfire.

But if you want to keep on believing that, go ahead.

well im only repeating whats i have heard.
so can i ever heard of the apache? who ever said they couldnt i just said That prototype screwed up when fireing.
what do you mean makes a load of sense ? things dont always make sense!
send us a link of the video.
they might have solved it but from what i heard they didnt solve it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join