It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know where citric acid comes from? hint: not lemons or limes. [processed foods]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
First of all, citric acid can come from lemons and limes (well, it's already inside thanks to nature), however for the majority of mass produced foods that list citric acid as an ingredient, does not come from either of these sources.

I came across the following bit of information while I was doing research on the effects of phosphoric acid (used in soda) on the human body and plants compared to rust - both concentrated and diluted.

Anyhow, this is some interesting info I came across in regards to "citric acid:"

en.wikipedia.org...

Processed food use

Food-grade phosphoric acid is used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas, but not without controversy regarding its health effects. It provides a "tangy" taste, and, being a mass-produced chemical, is available cheaply and in large quantities. The low cost and bulk availability is unlike more expensive natural seasonings that give comparable flavors, such as ginger for tangyness, or citric acid for sourness, obtainable from lemons and limes. (most citric acid in the food industry is not extracted from citrus fruit, but fermented by Aspergillus niger mold from scrap molasses, waste starch hydrolysates and phosphoric acid.)

This is where it gets interesting.

en.wikipedia.org...er

Some strains of A. niger have been reported to produce potent mycotoxins called ochratoxins

Citric acid is used heavily in the medical field for sterilization and other purposes as a substitute for other acids, however I believe that medical supplies come from sterilized and quadruple-quality checked factories using safe sources... but apparently the food industry does not.

Not implying anything, as I would imagine the sources these factories get their citric acid from are extracting and packaging everything properly, but it does seem like cutting corners that could create problems in the future.

Maybe I'm just paranoid - or the fact that I'm a picky eater is fueling most of this. Either way, I see it as yet another reason to avoid processed foods.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by scientist]

Admin edit to fix code glitch.

[edit on Thu, Feb 19th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
And that's not all... GMO FOODS!!!!

What is all around you, but is hidden in plain sight?

Genetically engineered (GE) food, which is also known as genetically modified (GM) food, genetically manipulated food, genetically altered foods, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and "Frankenfood."

Did you know that you eat genetically modified foods every day?

This novel technology has virtually invaded the grocery store and taken over the food on our shelves. An estimated 70-75% of processed foods on supermarket shelves-from soda to soup, corn chips to veggie burgers, pizza, and even baby food and infant formula-contain GE ingredients.

Why should you care?

Whether you’re “into health” or not, you eat three meals a day. Genetically engineered foods have never been proven safe for human consumption. This is personal.

Nearly every independent animal feeding safety study on GE foods (not funded by the biotechnology industry) demonstrates adverse or unexplained health effects. We’re eating GE food, too. What is it doing to us?

There are many documented health risks associated with GE food. According to independent scientists, human health effects of consuming GE foods can include toxic and allergic reactions, antibiotic resistance, immune suppression, and even cancer.

Dr. David Suzuki, scientist, geneticist, and environmentalist recently commented about GMOs:

“Any scientist that tells you they are safe is either ignorant or lying to you.”

SOURCE

(they are advertising a book "shedding light on gmos"; I strongly recommend you read it)

OK, so GMO foods can cause cancer and immune suppression. But could GMOs also be responsible for the recent explosion in cancer? (1 in ~30 got cancer in the 60s; 1 in 3 adult will get it by the end of their lifetime).

Also, according to an independent study I read about a few months ago (forgot the link; sorry), GMO foods begin causing numerous physical and mental health only in the second generation of consumption.

Basically, experiment was on lab rats who were fed GMO soy. The controls were non-GMO soy and normal rat feed. The GMO soy batch was the only one that developed obesity, suicidal behavior, and other negative health effects by the second generation

So, if the study was indeed true, and it also affects humans, then the human species can become extinct or severely handicapped in less that 30 years!

Could GMOs be a form of eugenics population control? Are we eating ourselves to death?

give this post a star
posted on 24-5-2008 @ 03:24 PM single this post "quote"REPLY TO:
DIGG ATS

for original
content
more info
GMO foods: Are we eating ourselves to death?

What is all around you, but is hidden in plain sight?

Genetically engineered (GE) food, which is also known as genetically modified (GM) food, genetically manipulated food, genetically altered foods, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and "Frankenfood."

Did you know that you eat genetically modified foods every day?

This novel technology has virtually invaded the grocery store and taken over the food on our shelves. An estimated 70-75% of processed foods on supermarket shelves-from soda to soup, corn chips to veggie burgers, pizza, and even baby food and infant formula-contain GE ingredients.

Why should you care?

Whether you’re “into health” or not, you eat three meals a day. Genetically engineered foods have never been proven safe for human consumption. This is personal.

Nearly every independent animal feeding safety study on GE foods (not funded by the biotechnology industry) demonstrates adverse or unexplained health effects. We’re eating GE food, too. What is it doing to us?

There are many documented health risks associated with GE food. According to independent scientists, human health effects of consuming GE foods can include toxic and allergic reactions, antibiotic resistance, immune suppression, and even cancer.

Dr. David Suzuki, scientist, geneticist, and environmentalist recently commented about GMOs:

“Any scientist that tells you they are safe is either ignorant or lying to you.”

SOURCE

(they are advertising a book "shedding light on gmos"; I strongly recommend you read it)

OK, so GMO foods can cause cancer and immune suppression. But could GMOs also be responsible for the recent explosion in cancer? (1 in ~30 got cancer in the 60s; 1 in 3 adult will get it by the end of their lifetime).

Also, according to an independent study I read about a few months ago (forgot the link; sorry), GMO foods begin causing numerous physical and mental health only in the second generation of consumption.

Basically, experiment was on lab rats who were fed GMO soy. The controls were non-GMO soy and normal rat feed. The GMO soy batch was the only one that developed obesity, suicidal behavior, and other negative health effects by the second generation

So, if the study was indeed true, and it also affects humans, then the human species can become extinct or severely handicapped in less that 30 years!

Could GMOs be a form of eugenics population control? Are we eating ourselves to death?

I recommend you watch Future of Food, The World According to Monsanto, and Seeds of Deception.

So, any thoughts on GMOs? And how could one avoid them?

P.S. GMO is not the only food problem in the US, www.abovetopsecret.com...

P.P.S. Alex Jones has a few books and vids on his site about GMOS; GO LOOK FOR IT.

Good post, but it ain't getting any publicity!

join