It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How effective is Prayer…..Really?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
greeneyedleo,
Thank you

Incarnated,
Well put. I have said before many people think they practice Christianity but instead they practice Churchianity. So many people need to stop and THINK about what they belive, not what they are told.

Andre,
You have in the past made well put comments and ask good questions. This is not one of your better moments...sorry. efer Alcove and others. I wont go on about what has already been said.

Skyfloating/Bandit.
I totally agree. However, if they prayer in not for yourself but others are you at risk of harming them? What if your health is required for assisting others? I have 5 kids (6 and under) I need my health to work in order to feed and educate them so they can hopefuly do good things (including for God)

Doctorex,
I was hoping you would show up. You forgot my all time favourite.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see

I still seem to get the feeling from others that prayer is a feel good act with a placebo effect giving a warm and fuzzy feeling that all is right with the world. We need to know there is more to it to know it is worthwhile.

[edit on 1/6/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Prayer does work, all good in faith.

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
I have said before many people think they practice Christianity but instead they practice Churchianity. So many people need to stop and THINK about what they belive, not what they are told.

I totally agree.

Where/Who are the real church? The answer is what some believe to be an idol or never was, The Son Of Man.

Originally posted by Incarnated
rI believe 89% of christians are blind selfrightous fools. I know christianity is a religion based upon an idol of "( J E S U S ! ! ! ) ".

But in a "sense" i do agree with your 1st sentence as with many of your posts. Many Christians are self righteous and need help, but so are people from any religion or no religion at all. We all are human, flesh, we are hardheaded and stand firm in our ways in which we believe or think is true.

God didn't create a caste system, so why have we? We must stop being like ducks who need feeding and go and find food.

Originally posted by andre18
There is a test that you can do to try the existence of god.

Pray and ask god to provide you with clear proof for he’s existence. If you have proof that god exists after praying post back at tell me, if not, there are only three reasons that are plausible – god does not exist – god does not want or – god can’t give you this evidence.

If god can’t give you the evidence, god is certainly not omnipotent for that is something god can’t do. Which means god does not want to give you this evidence, if god chooses not to then why prey?

"Prove All Things; Hold Fast That Which Is Good" (I Thes 5:21)

Testing God, won't work but The Supreme does invite us to prove ALL things.

Doubt and prayer, not buddies. You use "If Not/Not" in your post enough to make a point, it is a negative point. Believe and it shall be, and not according to my religion alone. Faith is needed to "prove" Him, not test Him. The proof will be on the Spiritual side and on a personal level, to each for themself. The Supreme God will make known to the person that request with faith and perseverance, that is the feeling of Awesomeness, The Holy Spirit personally.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Opinion:

Prayer of Thanks is more effective than Prayer of Please.

My opinion as well. A person who gives from the heart will be blessed and receive all needed and more.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Skyfloating/Bandit.
I totally agree. However, if they prayer in not for yourself but others are you at risk of harming them? What if your health is required for assisting others? I have 5 kids (6 and under) I need my health to work in order to feed and educate them so they can hopefuly do good things (including for God)

Stop needing your health and claim it as yours already. Be grateful that you already have health. That's how it works. God has no morals and no judgements (IMO) he will only give you what you believe in your heart to be true. When you say you need something, it's the same thing as saying you don't have it. When you are grateful for something, you are actually broadcasting to the creator that you have it already. To which the creator/God/everything that exists will reply by giving you more of what you are grateful for.

Needing is just another form of lack. Feelings of lack will only give you more reasons to feel that you are lacking.

I hope this helps...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The one thing I hate more then steamed beets is the very idea that prayers don't get answered because of our lack of faith.

The answer to this idea of prayer answering is pretty hard to prove one way or another. Some people can argue that it can take years for God to answer a prayer, so just because it has not happened right away does not mean that the answer isn't coming. People might also read into a wonderful looking sunset as an answer to a prayer for peace of mind...was it there anyway or did God make that particular sunset a touch prettier just for the prayee.

Nobody will ever really know. I do like this classic C.S. Lewis line though:

"We don't pray to change God. We pray to change ourselves."

If at the very least prayer gives a person a sense of comfort, peace, and hope then it is a good thing. I kind of hope that prayers don't get answered. Because that means that the God who hears them makes judgements on who gets their prayers answered, and who does not.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
johnbigjohn,

People might also read into a wonderful looking sunset as an answer to a prayer for peace of mind...was it there anyway or did God make that particular sunset a touch prettier just for the prayee.

Yes God made the sunset and yes it is there every day, but the person making the prayer may not have noticed it until he/she prayed and God may have, through the movements of a tree branch or a bird flying by, brought the attention of the person towards the sunset….

Bandit,

I hope this helps...

Kinda.

Stop needing your health and claim it as yours already. Be grateful that you already have health. That's how it works. God has no morals and no judgements (IMO) he will only give you what you believe in your heart to be true. When you say you need something, it's the same thing as saying you don't have it. When you are grateful for something, you are actually broadcasting to the creator that you have it already. To which the creator/God/everything that exists will reply by giving you more of what you are grateful for.

I do understand what you are saying. It’s a matter of semantics. I don’t need MY health but I do need to be healthy. Otherwise what good am I to God or others. On the other hand, one could argue that in sickness I may be able to do good for god. EG, If I were hospitalised, I could be of comfort to someone worse off or I could meet someone needing to know god.

With that line of argument, you only need to pray “God, Thank you for my current situation no matter how crappy it might seem to me right now”

Needing is just another form of lack. Feelings of lack will only give you more reasons to feel that you are lacking.

We all NEED something. Air to breath, food to eat, warmth etc…
It is right to thank God when we receive these things but we also need to ask for the things we need as opposed to want.

We all know the lords prayer (or have at least heard it at some stage in their life). As you it comes from the disciples asking Jesus HOW to pray so he gave them (and us) a format, or template if you will for prayer. Lets break it down.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
(Adresses God and acknowledges is holiness)
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
(Recognises that things will be done is accordance with his plan)
Give us today our daily bread.
(Asking for what we NEED)
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
(Signing off and reaffirming his greatness)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I dunno about the whole Lords prayer being a template idea man, I kinda think that the message intended in the Lords prayer is top be "spontaneous" when speaking to God and not to be ritualistic in your approach. After all God is supposed to be your buddy as well as your superior.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sacerd

That is exactly the point. People recite the prayer as if it holds magical powers, but it is a reminder of the fact that we should pray and gives us a guideline of what we should pray for and how to pray.

After Jesus taught the ‘Lords Prayer to the Disciples, he then went on to say

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

So in essence, we are meant to ask for stuff. Just not ridiculous stuff we don’t need or with selfish motives.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

reply to post by sacerd

That is exactly the point. People recite the prayer as if it holds magical powers, but it is a reminder of the fact that we should pray and gives us a guideline of what we should pray for and how to pray.

I must not of understood what you meant by your post then, I was reading it as if you thought that the Lords Prayer was a template that you say before dinner or bedtime. My mistake.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I've always wondered why good, pious, Christians in some third world countries; end up starving to death. Surely they must pray for sustenance, for themselves and their children. Still they starve.

Apparently there must be some variable that I can't understand as to the effectiveness of prayer.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I guess that is part of what I am asking. Sorta like the War stories my Granfather used to tell me and the reason he had no belief in God.

He said he would hear soldiers near him in the middle of gunfire etc praying for god to save them. My Granfathers thinking was why would god save one man and allow the man next to him to be taken even though they were both praying.

My Grandfather on the other hand never prayed yet made it through the war to tell me the stories.......

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i'll take will power over prayer any day.

didn't "god" make us in his own image apearently? so why do we need to prey when we can get through the hard times ourselves ?

praying is like degrading yourself as what you really are and relying on something else to do the work for you. if you really want something to change in your life you need to focus on it and work on it yourself.

positive thoughts and kindness will take you a long way.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

Isn't prayer essentially will power and positive thought?
We may be made in Gods Image but if Jesus WAS god and he prayed should we also not pray?

Positive thoughts and kindness does little but give you warm fuzzies, as does prayer in some respects.

Just a thought.....

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
God does answer prayers and even sometimes we have to be careful what we pray for cuz God will get what we ask for to teach us a lession. But God does answer to our will or when we want them. God works on his own time and his own will.

And I think we should remember that the bible says to have answered prayers that we must follow the laws of God the ten commandments. For why would God answer if we are not faithful and not working.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join