It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello? This is Gordon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Brown telephones voters at home

Gordon Brown routinely telephones voters at home to talk about Labour policy, Downing Street has confirmed.

The prime minister is understood to ask the No 10 switchboard to put him through to people who have written to him with questions or concerns.

Picture the scene your sipping your morning tea while reading the paper when the phone rings "ring ring", naturally with a sigh "sigh" you pick up the phone ready to tell the nice man or woman you don't need double glazing, faster internet or a new phone only to be confronted with the gruff voice of our Prime Minister asking you:

"What national issue is playing on your mind?"

Despite what is happening with the economy, the continuing situation in Iraq and worrying whispers from the EU I'd probably talk to him about the energy situation.

In particular why more is not being invested into alternatives such as wind, wave, solar and fusion, why more rules aren't being placed on the automotive industry to produce more efficient vehicles and why exciting new scientific technologies that promise a bright future aren't being pushed more.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You can't knock the guy for trying.

If only all the senior people in our major and influential 'bodies'/businesses (both private and public) were so inclined to seek the views of 'regular people'.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It's a good idea, asking people directly what they feel concerned about and what issues are at the forefront of their mind. How better to listen to people than contact them directly? No need for middle men or focus groups.

I think part of Labour's problem is that people perceive them to be out of touch. When campaigning in Crewe for the recent by-election, Labour discussed rising prices of a barrel of oil and increasing commodity prices whereas the Conservatives talked about rising petrol and bread costs; which sounds more in touch? The Conservative approach. Although Labour may be absolutely correct intellectually, they have to formulate their ideas in a way that people can identify with. The Conservatives seem to be doing this rather well at the moment, and Tony Blair was excellent at this.

I'm sure some people will rant and rave when they receive a Prime Ministerial phone call but I imagine most people, even if they dislike Brown, will try to say something constructive and appropriate. It'd be interesting to hear from someone who he's called...

[edit on 31/5/08 by Ste2652]

new topics

join