It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish tuna fishermen ram Greenpeace ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Turkish tuna fishermen ram Greenpeace ship

www.msnbc.msn.com

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish tuna fishermen rammed their boat into a Greenpeace ship Friday and pelted it with lead fishing weights, the environmental group said. No one was injured.

The barrage of lead weights damaged a helicopter that the activists had used earlier in the day to document the vessels' activities, Aslan said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Lol... Just had to post this ... for whatever reason. Im not really even sure why it made me laugh..

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I also appreciate it.

Harass the whalers all you want. But leave the fishermen alone until you find a completely alternative food source that is feasable for worldwide consumption.

Asshats.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

it cracked you up

it cracked me up

as the above poster stated harras the whalers but come on
Fish now? i guess they are running out of things to protest against.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
They did say tuna is almost extinct and that if this continues there will be no more in future, is this true?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Has anyone cared to check Google out on the fish stock situation in the Med?

Could there BE a problem with overfishing? I checked and it seems there IS a problem with overfishing.

Are the efforts of organizations like Greenpeace SO despicable that, no matter what they try to bring attention to, they are to be ridiculed out of hand?

Is that denying ignorance? Remember the Atlantic cod fishery? There used to be one once. Now it's gone and, of course, the seals are to blame because it certainly couldn't have been those trawlers from around the globe. Oh, no... not PEOPLE!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Are the efforts of organizations like Greenpeace SO despicable that, no matter what they try to bring attention to, they are to be ridiculed out of hand?

In a word?
Yes.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I wonder how many companies have said "Oh No! Greenpeace said we are doing X and they are right! We must stop at once! All the families that depend on the workers will have to find some other way of supporting themselves. All the people that consume our product will have to find something else to fill this spot, we are simply being too uncaring of the world to continue!"

Mind. Your. Own. Business.

IF there is a problem there are proper channels to go through to get the problem addressed and resolved. Harrassing people AT WORK is simply low class. These people are trying to feed their families, pay their mortgages, etc. They dont make the policy saying its OK to fish (or to do whatever GP is protesting against this time). Take your beef (pun intended) up with the people who make the decisions. Not the grunts busting their butt trying to make a living.

This is about as useful as spitting on troops returning from Vietnam, or protesting at a fallen servicemans funeral, no class and the only person it harms is the little guy.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Green peace is known for ramming other ships so this is just turnabout. I do notice that the don't try this trick with Chinese ships..they carry 20mm cannon on board. Maybe a few more fishing vessels will be damaged by these green pirates. I just hope they don't hurt any fishermen in the process. The retaliation might be more than they could handle!

Zindo

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer

Originally posted by masqua

In a word?
Yes.

Then, by your terse comment, I must assume thatr you are also against the efforts of;

The Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) is a bureau within the Department of Interior. The FWS's mission is, working with others, to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The FWS manages more than 520 National Wildlife Refuges and 66 National Fish Hatcheries. On the FWS website, www.fws.gov... are links and information about all the FWS does and supports from birds, budget, coastal, fishing, grants, habitat, hunting, kids/educators, offices, partnerships, permits, species, and videos. The FWS website is a useful tool to find information about what nature conservation efforts are going on in and around your area as well as nationwide. The FWS website is organized into different categories as listed above and more: contaminants, endangered species, fire, fisheries and habitats, images, jobs, law enforcement, news, policies, and more.

en.wikipedia.org...

The above and ALL OTHERS?

grammar edit

[edit on 30/5/08 by masqua]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Preposterous.

I think the difference here is clear, do we really need to do this?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
you would be a fool to think that humans are not over fishing the oceans

and you would be a greater fool to think that we shouldn't do anything about it...

its so short sighted to say that these people may lose there jobs and you may have to pay an extra few dollars if they stop over fishing. think of the big picture

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If humans stopped eating so much more protien in their daily diet than they really need then possibly the world fishery population might recover, it is indeed unfortunate that while the United States alone seems to recognize the problem, other countries under the guise of cultural or other excuses harvest everything and anything they can. Many of these ships will dump their used nets overboard creating a 'ghostfishing' situation where the nets continue to catch fish and every other thing they can without being harvested. If the chinese ships are equipped with 20mm Cannon then I would gladly pay to have a 105mm Cannon installed on Greenpeace ships. The whalers and factory ships of many nations, Norway and Japan included, should be more tightly regulated and so-called Cultural rights to fisheries should be eliminated. If the Fisherman can't find work, he can always work in McDonalds, or car repair, or even run whale watching tours.

Some of the Who!

The new report, "Illegal Fishing in Arctic Waters," shows that in the Sea of Okhotsk alone, illegal landings of Alaska pollock can reach a value of more than €45 million ($US70 million) annually.

The economic loss to the legitimate fishing industry and public purse is estimated at €210 million ($US327 million).

Barents Sea cod is taken mainly by Norwegian, Russian and European Union fishers, while the bulk of the Alaska pollock catch, fished mainly in the Western Bering Sea and Sea of Okhotsk, is taken by Russian fleets with China the largest buyer.
These would be Fishermen making a 'little extra' in order to pay their mortgages and suport their families.

Learn more here about Black-Market Fishing

[edit on 31-5-2008 by 2stepsfromtop]

[edit on 31-5-2008 by 2stepsfromtop]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
Harass the whalers all you want. But leave the fishermen alone until you find a completely alternative food source that is feasable for worldwide consumption.

Asshats.

Rice and beans... everyday... like clockwork.

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The other nations that are over fishing have signed agreements but ignore them. I have trouble with zealots thats why I dispise the owner-dictator of Greenpeace. He cares little for anything but his narrow agenda. Everyone else who started Greenpeace with great intensions have quit to try to remedy this mans tactics. Just my 2 cents.

Zindo

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

your not confusing green peace and Sea Shepard are you

new topics

top topics

join