It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Support Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There are a lot of Obama supporters who take offense to discussions about Obama's personal life and say we should stick to discussing his policies.

My theory is that the Obama supporters are being totally hypocritical when they tell people to stick to "policy" discussions when in fact Obama's policies are almost identical to Clinton's, and the ONLY reason people support Obama is because he is black, because they don't like Clinton, and/or because of of Obama's inspiring personality.

So here's the challenge to Obama supporters: Explain why you support Obama over Clinton based only on policy differences. Personal traits like honesty, etc., are not allowed to be part of the discussion.

My prediction is there will be few, if any, people who even attempt to take on this challenge.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by jamie83]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I am not arguing with you on that one.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Petrox
I am not arguing with you on that one.

I seriously doubt that any Obama supporters will be able to rationally describe their decision to support Obama over Clinton based on any policy differences. Maybe they'll get busy and start surfing their websites and create some reason after the fact, but I'm pretty sure nobody threw their support for Obama because of the fine details of his policy differences with Clinton.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I would like to see this board continue. You have thrown down the gauntlet, lets see if the many Obama supporters on the site are willing to prove Obama's superiority on the issues.

Everyone should star this discussion to make it more visible.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Er, I mean, flag the thread.

Sorry for the one liner.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Starred and flagged! I agree. I to would like to know the distinctions between Obama and Clinton's policies. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Hopefully people find this thread and post some info.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striker122
Starred and flagged! I agree. I to would like to know the distinctions between Obama and Clinton's policies. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Hopefully people find this thread and post some info.

Either people can't find this thread or the Obama supporters are trying to review the Clinton and Obama websites looking for any difference in their policies.

I can only see very minor differences. I'm betting money they're working on the graphics for the Obama/Clinton '08 posters as we speak.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Great thread. I too would like to see where this subject leads.

*In before the "you are a closet racist" type quotes appear.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wutone

I would love to see a video of Obama supporters being asked about his positions, let alone his accomplishments.

It's really disturbing on a very deep level that millions of Americans are going to support ANYBODY based on how he makes them feel when he talks.

We're in serious trouble....

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
they're working on the graphics for the Obama/Clinton '08 posters

Naaaaaaaaah. Michelle Obama hates Hillary. She'd scratch Barry's eyes out if he picked Hillary. Besides .. Hillary is too qualified to walk behind Barry.

No - I'm not a Hillary fan. I'm just stating the truth.
Try finding someone LESS qualified then Obama to be his VP.
It's a hard task.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

they're working on the graphics for the Obama/Clinton '08 posters

Naaaaaaaaah. Michelle Obama hates Hillary. She'd scratch Barry's eyes out if he picked Hillary. Besides .. Hillary is too qualified to walk behind Barry.

I originally thought this too. But I honestly think that Obama knows he will get slaughtered in November without Hillary. I don't see Obama winning more than 10-15 states. Even California will be in play.

Who else besides Hillary can possibly get him over the top?

And speaking of Michelle, Obama knows her "proud of America" video is going to be played 24/7. It's even more damaging watching it that hearing it. That's why he's trying to preempt the use of it by labeling any future use dirty and evil.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm not actually an Obama supporter, as I plan to vote for Ron Paul, but I do have something to say here. (I reserve my right to change my vote and I just may change it to Obama because of what I'm learning from these discussions)

When comparing Obama and Clinton on a political level, there's not really that much difference. They're both pretty liberal in their politics. In health care, the Iraq war, gun control, etc, they ARE pretty much alike.

So what that leaves is "Which one do you like better"?

I say if you want to attack him personally, go ahead. That's all based on opinion of the man. Just like supporting him is based on opinion of the man. You can NOT like him, but to try to convince someone who likes him that they shouldn't, you're going to have to come up with more than personality issues, because those very personality issues are what many people LIKE about him. THAT'S why we say go after the issues.

If you want to convince people NOT to vote for him, you're going to have to go for more than the personality, because that's what people DO like about him! That's why people insist you (Obama attackers) come up with policy problems. Because if it's his personality you don't like, then we just disagree. Nothing you can say about the man is going to make people turn against him unless it's something concrete, like a political position.

the ONLY reason people support Obama is because he is black, because they don't like Clinton, and/or because of of Obama's inspiring personality.

That may be true. What's the problem with that? Race has nothing to do with it for me (and probably a lot more people than you would like to admit), but if I were going to pick one over the other it WOULD be Obama because I don't like Clinton (probably just as you don't like Obama) and I DO find Obama extremely inspiring. I think, for the most part, that he's honest and trustworthy. I think Clinton is NOT.

What's wrong with that being a reason I would choose one over another?

You say honesty is not allowed to be part of the discussion? Too bad. I think Clinton is a liar and I think Obama is about 98% honest. Whether or not you like that is irrelevant. If I were choosing between the two, that would weigh heavy in my choice. Here's why. If I agree with Clinton's position on the issues, she could be lying. I don't trust her not to take a bribe or change her position on something once she gets in office, OR to be saying what she thinks the people want to hear. I don't trust a liar.

There are so many things I like about Obama, but I'm not going to convince you to like him. So don't. Don't vote for him.

I do wonder why there's such a push to get people to vote for Clinton over Obama, then I find out that these people are going to vote Republican anyway... I suspect people who are voting for McCain think he can't beat Obama and that's why they don't want Obama to win the nomination. That right there is enough to convince me to vote for Obama! LOL Because I don't want 4 more years and that's what McBush would be.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't trust her not to take a bribe or change her position on something once she gets in office, OR to be saying what she thinks the people want to hear. I don't trust a liar.

I do agree with you that most people will vote based on their like or dislike of either candidate. But what I would like to know more about it the above statement, if you don't mind. What sources, aside from the media and political rivals, do you have that Senator Clinton has ever taken a bribe? I think it's harsh to call someone a liar, especially if you don't know the person and they haven't lied to you directly. My opinion of course.

Do you not consider Obama's reason for not portraying himself as a bi-racial man instead of a black man somewhat dishonest? And then there is the Muslim questions he runs from. Don't you think the people of this country need to know whether he is Muslim, has been Muslim, is supportive of Muslims, etc.?

I find that the media has taken every advantage to tear Senator Clinton down based on whatever means they can, yet they do not push these issues with Obama. It's all very suspicious to me and I fear that those hardcore Obama supporters will get the shock of their lives IF he gets into office and is not the person they thought he was!

I suspect people who are voting for McCain think he can't beat Obama and that's why they don't want Obama to win the nomination.

If Obama gets the Democratic nomination, McCain will have no problem beating him. I, along with millions of other Clinton supporters, will never vote for Obama. His policies may be like Senator Clinton's, but her experience far exceeds his, and McCain's!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucien
What sources, aside from the media and political rivals, do you have that Senator Clinton has ever taken a bribe?

I don't know Senator Clinton personally, so what sources. other than the media, WOULD I have?
And I don't know of any bribe she has taken.

What I do know is that she agreed not to campaign in Florida and Michigan because they broke the Democratic Rules and then she did it anyway. Source She broke her agreement for personal gain.

I think it's harsh to call someone a liar, especially if you don't know the person and they haven't lied to you directly.

It might be harsh. It's not the first time I've been called harsh. And while she hasn't lied directly to my face personally, I have seen her proven in lies. Yes in the media, but it was her talking and I saw proof that what she said was a lie. Several times. I was just as upset when her husband lied right into the camera. I don't have any reason to believe that she is any more honest or trustworthy than he is.

Do you not consider Obama's reason for not portraying himself as a bi-racial man instead of a black man somewhat dishonest?

No. Almost every black person in the US has some "white" in their heritage. I believe it's a person's OWN choice as to what they call themselves in this kind of situation. I have seen people who LOOK totally white and they call themselves black because of a black ancestor. Obama has NEVER been secretive about the fact that he is biracial. It's not a secret and he doesn't deny it. He doesn't deny being biracial. He is black. He is biracial. He is both.

If he said both of his parents were black, that would be a lie.

And then there is the Muslim questions he runs from. Don't you think the people of this country need to know whether he is Muslim, has been Muslim, is supportive of Muslims, etc.?

He has not "run from" this question. He has answered it. Clearly and straightforwardly. Just because some don't believe him doesn't mean he's lying or running from the question. I don't care what religion he is, but he says he's a Christian and I have NO reason to doubt that. I certainly hope he is supportive of Muslims here in America. As well as other Christians, Jews, Buddhists and Atheists, etc.

I find that the media has taken every advantage to tear Senator Clinton down based on whatever means they can, yet they do not push these issues with Obama.

Have you heard of Reverend Wright? Have you heard how "unpatriotic" Obama supposedly is because he didn't wear a lapel pin or put his hand on his heart? The items you bring up (his race and religion) are stupid "issues" in the media that attempt to tear him down. If you don't hear the media ripping up Obama, you're not listening.

That's politics.

If Obama gets the Democratic nomination, McCain will have no problem beating him.

Then I wonder why so many Republicans are so strongly opposing an Obama nomination... Just a curiosity.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I support Barack Obama for President because of his ability to actually speak intelligently.

I feel like we are not offered real choices as to who our leaders should be, but I am tired of having leadership for the past 8 years that cannot speak well publicly, will not speak to our enemies, and does not speak truthfully to the American People.

I don't know if Obama will be any better than any of the politicians who we are allowed to choose from, but at least he will speak well doing it.

My question to the OP, why did you join a conspiracy forum to only post negative diatribes against Obama? I find it strange that you think Paul McCartney is the leader of the Illuminati, but your three days of membership you have devoted most of your time and resources cranking out anti Obama Propaganda. Why if you believe Sir Paul is the top of the food chain, why you spend all your time attacking the Junior Senator from Illinois?

It leads me to believe that you are actually one of John McCain's 'McCainiac web trolls' or are a paid propagandist for John McCain's campaign. So I ask you, Why You Support John McCain? Is it his marital fidelity? Or his keen ability to flip flop on issues? Or is it the excitement of his old age combined with his medical history, and you are really hoping for Romney or Jeb Bush to be his VP? I guess that would be an exciting campaign... waiting for your candidate to keel over...

DocMoreau

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

reply to post by wutone

I would love to see a video of Obama supporters being asked about his positions, let alone his accomplishments.

It's really disturbing on a very deep level that millions of Americans are going to support ANYBODY based on how he makes them feel when he talks.

We're in serious trouble....

I would love to see a McCain supporter asked about HIS positions, let alone accomplishments. Oh wait... what are his positions? I can only name that he wants to spend at least 720 billion dollars over the next 5 years, maybe more and for longer, on a war that we were lied to about from the start, has continued long after they said 'Mission Accomplished'... without ever providing an exit plan.... The only other thing I know about McCain is his constant flip flopping on issues, and his constant screw ups saying that AL Qaida is in Iran.

What is even more disturbing is the number of American Citizens willing to 'choose' a candidate based on their political party, or their color, or their sex, or because the voter is bigoted towards someone sex, or race or even political party.

DocMoreau

[edit on 31/5/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You say honesty is not allowed to be part of the discussion?

Very well said and thoughtful post!

The only reason I said to keep honesty out of the discussion is because every Obama supporter I talk with insists that only the ISSUES are fair game to be discussed. Everything else is off limits.

I think this is the point of Obama's interview the other day when he declared that criticizing Michelle Obama's "first time I'm proud" comments was unacceptable.

Of course there is a great irony here. Obama beat Clinton almost exclusively because he was far more likable than Clinton. Now that the tables are turned, and the Republicans are tearing down his likability index with his associations and his and his wife's own words, Obama is crying foul.

In any case, I agree with almost everything you said about Obama. He is inspiring to listen to. But that only counts for so much. I'm hoping McCain wins and their will be gridlock for 4 years.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't support Obama per say...

I much preferred either Edwards, Clarke or Richardson but since he has gotten the nod from the status quo over Hillary, I am I guess defacto in favor of him...

more to the point I feel deeply that another Republican administration at this time would be a major disaster for this country... especially one committed to continuing the failed policies of uncurious george.

I don't dislike Hillary either really, certainly not because of her gender.

I just feel that there isn't another candidate out there who can so divide the left and unite the right as her and to nominate her would be a fiasco for the party...

also we simply have to stop this bouncing back and forth between this two family power base that has evolved over the past 20+ years... to continue it is an invitation to a train wreck for the republic.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
I support Barack Obama for President because of his ability to actually speak intelligently.

First, that isn't an answer to the question. The question is about policies, not anybody's ability to speak intelligently.

Second, are you serious??!!!

My question to the OP, why did you join a conspiracy forum to only post negative diatribes against Obama?

Wow.... I hope you keep posting on this thread. This is going to get good!

Now asking people to explain in terms of policies why they picked Obama over Clinton is being characterized as a diatribe against Obama. Classic.

And people wonder why Obama supporters are perceived as whiny babies all the time. First it was, "If you don't vote for Obama you must be a dumb racist white guy." Now we can't even ask about his POLICIES without being considered going off on a negative diatribe against Obama.

Keep 'em comin'!

It leads me to believe that you are actually one of John McCain's 'McCainiac web trolls' or are a paid propagandist for John McCain's campaign.

This is turning out better than I could have imagined... now asking people to express why, based on policies, they support Obama leads to accusations of being a paid McCain supporter. Classic.

If asking about Obama's policies is now considered a form of McCain propaganda, Obama is in DEEP trouble come November.

So back on topic, I'm still waiting to read which of BO's policies you found made the difference between wanting BO or HRC to be the next President.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Then I wonder why so many Republicans are so strongly opposing an Obama nomination... Just a curiosity.

I don't know ANY Republicans who oppose Obama as the candidate. They are salivating at the prospects. Having Obama as the candidate, according to them, is the ONLY perfect storm type of scenario that allows McCain to win. That's why the nominated a liberal, white, older, war hero.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join