It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Art of Survival: Richard Proenneke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Anyone who has heard of Dick Proenneke can not help but feel attracted to who he was and what he did. His is the story of someone who forsook all else to pursue his dream.

In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a backcountry cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude. Proenneke was a wonderful journalist and recorded most of his life at Twin Lakes in film, photography, and written record.

He spent May, June, and July of 1968 building his cabin by hand and with nothing but hand tools. The cabin was complete with windows, furniture including chairs, tables, a desk, and a bunk; a log cache built up on poles to store food and goods that needed to be kept away from wildlife; a stone and mortar fireplace. Proenneke died of a stroke April 28, 2003. He left his cabin to the parks service and it remains today as a popular visitor attraction in the still-remote Twin Lakes region.

Watching someone work with simple hand tools and build a cabin is is simply amazing! Everything Proenneke does seems like magic in this day and age. He was certainly a maser of a lost art. We are lucky to have his documentaries around to study. I guarantee you will be impressed by them: survival enthusiast or not.

Documentaries-
Alone in the Wilderness
Alaska Silence & Solitude
The Frozen North
One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey
Alaska off the Beaten Path
Ghost of the Forest
Arctic Dance

[edit on 30-5-2008 by METACOMET]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My husband and I have watched that documentary twice on PBS. It was fascinating. I only wish I were skilled to that degree in carpentry and wilderness survival. I'm betting that sometime in the near future, we'll have to stop wishing and start learning.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Same here. I have watched it many times over and learn something everytime. I think what he did was so extraordinary. Mind you he just had practical implements and tools - no fancy gear. Just brains and hard work. I wish my husband and I had the time and discipline to try it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I just ordered the book about his life- thanks for the information

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I found this story amazing. I have watched it twice and I am amazed.

Good post.

top topics

join