It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have an obligation to follow threads that you create?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
yes IMHO you do have a duty to your threads , ATS is a DISCUSSION board , if you just want to post your musings and walk away - start a blog

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I am terrible at replying to my own threads, mainly because if anyone adds anything then usually all I have to say to them is, "yes, that is a good point. Thanks for the reply". There's usually different variations of that sentence posted all over my threads, by me.

I DO love it when I get replies to my threads though. A nice little buzz, just knowing that something you have written has been read and has inspired someone, sometimes on the other side of the world, to respond. And if one of my threads "fades away" (which they all inevitably do) then I go back to skulking around this place, reading everyone elses ideas and thoughts and occassionally contributing my 2 cents wherever I see fit.

It's good fun being a lurker

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I prefer to respond to my own threads, but they often don't last that long anyway. However I will tend not to reply if it's almost as old as my membership. I said some really naive and stupid things back then, and really don't want to see them again, for the most part. I think the thing was that at the time I didn't really think I would be on here much.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

As much as I would like to follow up all my threads, I cannot find them. I have been on ATS a while now, and it is one of the most complicated sites I have ever used. I still cannot, unless I remember the whole thread name and search for it, I cannot find them. I also hate that I cannot return to a thread exactly where I left off, instead of the very beginging or the end.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

As much as I would like to follow up all my threads, I cannot find them.
I have been on ATS a while now, and it is one of the most complicated sites I have ever used. I still cannot, unless I remember the whole thread name and search for it, I cannot find them.

i use that box at the bottom of ones every post - the one that looks like this -> [posts]
if you click it more than half of your searching troubles will be solved...

unless of course your looking for something +3 months old.

for the threades that are foggy memories, i usually look into my own archive where i print a single post of something which i felt my reply was superiorly pertinent or enlightening...and i file it in a hard copy manila folder which merely serves as a collection file for now,
but can be used as a citing reference whenever the rest of the group comes around to that viewpoint of the issue at hand. ~ which is just another way of recalling poingent topics/threads ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

top of of Page 2, by ignorant_ape;

Discussion, Forum,
a 'discussion' includes the opportunity to present one's viewpoint period,
interplay by presenting other viewpoints does not require one to reply to every or any post.
the Forum is not exactly a Caucus, and its not exactly a chatroom...
ATS has seperate locations for those activities,
Even the blog has a response section following the blog presentation,
so the 'post your musings and walk away' analogy is not that correct an example.

etiquette does not require one to continually reply, respond, keep attentive of an OpeningPost or Thread starter either,
you may see it that way, i do not...
in the broad sense discussion is not debate (which requires response &/or retort)

thanks,

[edit on 31-5-2008 by St Udio]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

My ATS is there to see all active threads. No sense "following up" on a thread that has not had a response in 6 months ya know?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It depends on the nature of the thread. I think if someone shares an interesting article, or other information, the fact they shared it shows they have contributed.

Now if they ask for advice, if they had a weird experience and want feedback or whatever, that is different and they should make a strong effort to followup and thank those that offered feedback/advice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join