It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have an obligation to follow threads that you create?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I have a question regarding threads.

Do you have an obligation to follow a thread that you have created? Should you follow it daily until it dies a natural death? Or is it OK to abandon it, like a mosquito does to it's eggs?

I don't think the T&C say anything about this. If I missed something there, I'm sure someone will point it out.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Interesting question, I can only answer with my own personal experience on my own threads.

I only follow the threads as long as they are active, when they die that's it, is nothing else to add to it unless you are updating information pertaining the thread.

If somebody revive the thread, then I feel oblique to follow up but that is just my choice.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If you are not going to keep an intrest and follow "your" thread; why create it in the first place?

But when intrest of a particular thread lags; I do feel a little bump could be in order to possibly revive it.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
For me it depends. I usually follow them until they either die or are completely changed by the responses. After a few pages they usually take on a life of their own, so I just tend to let nature take its course.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
well since half of the time I consider myself a thread killer, I usually let the threads just die off until someone else takes interest... Unless it is a thread discussing something I feel strongly about.. then those I might update with new information on the topic as it becomes available regardless if other show interest or participation.

IMO Nothing wrong with bumping or reviving an old thread if you have a new outlook, information, idea or renewed interest.

However I would not support random bumps of "why is no one answering me" or "No one is reading my threads" though

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Originally posted by whaaa
If you are not going to keep an intrest and follow "your" thread; why create it in the first place?

Maybe you're a points junkie? I've seen several instances of people with many threads created and no contribution beyound the OP. And they have tons of points.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My take:

I'll follow my threads if they stay interesting. As soon as it becomes a "nah uh", "yeah, huh" thread, I bail.

Kind of like Budski's avatar.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Maybe you're a points junkie? I've seen several instances of people with many threads created and no contribution beyound the OP. And they have tons of points.

Thats true. But I dont know what they get out of ATS other than points.

As toy our OP: Of course there´s no obligation to stay with a thread unless its interesting.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Jeez, have I become famous?

I like to follow threads that I've done, as they are usually subjects that I'm interested in - but as soon as it flies off on a tangent, I usually bail, unless the tangent is worth pursuing (to me at least)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I wish my threads went on long enough that I needed to follow them.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I agree with marge,

The author of a thread is obliqued to follow up on a thread.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
in my view,
a thread is not a thesis or a position paper,
a thread is only making an utterance, or perhaps publically belching...
or maybe its like tagging a subway car or a toilet stall with graffiti and 'words of wit'...

If one has a worldview that a thread is the humble origins of a book or philosophical tenet... then that person has a overinflated, passionate, psychological quirk.

my 2 bits, and quite content with myself & my career statistics,
as unspectacular as they are

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sometimes I make a thread just because I want make a point and I want the rest of the world to hear it...

Sometimes I want a discussion and I'll start a thread to invite discussion on the topic...

Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't...

As for the OP, I don't feel any obligation...

Semper

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well no one ever responds to my threads, which is why I never make threads.

But the ones that I do start I follow religiously.. else why would I have made it? I also make it a personal goal of mine to respond to every response that is directed at me, or asking about the OP.

Then again, as I said my threads suck anyways so if I DO make one I did so because I thought it was important and meaningful.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I wish my threads went on long enough that I needed to follow them.

Your probably the best at following up on your own threads, posting in them several months after they died even. I always read them if I had responded and it pops up on My ATS.

Of course, none flaming threads that deal with intelligence and real topics with real discussion .. tend to die. Fast.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well since most people create threads because they are interested in that topic, they would naturally follow them all the time.

I doubt there needs to be a T&C clarification on this.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't think your under any obligation to stay with a thread till its death, natural or otherwise. Old threads are not delted, but remain burined in whatever forum they resided in in the first place.

There are several valid reasons why an OP may not be involved as much:

1) The ebb and flow of the discussion may take the thread into differnt areas that the OP did not consider or want to venture into, while staying on topic.

2) The OP, may have had an epiphany and moved on

3) The OP's questions, thesis, etc may have been answered, or debunked etc.

4) Following up above, the OP's thesis may have gotten soundly beaten (politley of cource) and he/she has moved on. (nobody likes being a whipping person)

etc.

However, if the OP makes an outrageous claim / statement that is contreversial in nature, then fails to participate in the ensuing discussion, I would take issue with that.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Threads do not die, they just fade away.

If its an intelligent thread with substance,then stick with it,

If its foolish, shut off your monitor for a few days and when you come back everyone will have forgotten about it.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
jsobecky, are you still following this

I'm a buzzkill when it comes to threads.

Watch. Noone will respond after me. But I chalk that up to my sharp skeptic skills.

My threads are like going to Vegas. I've got all this enthusiasm and great expectations only to feel empty and used once it's all over.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
However, if the OP makes an outrageous claim / statement that is contreversial in nature, then fails to participate in the ensuing discussion, I would take issue with that.

I would equate this to thread trolling. If done many times.

I do try to keep up with threads I've made but sometimes it gets overwhelming also. Just my 2 pence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join