It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to REAL Apologies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I noticed a trend that's been going on for quite some time -it's the "I'm sorry IF I offended anybody" trend.

The latest example is the priest from the Catholic Church in Chicago who mocked Hillary. Here's his "apology":

"These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama's life and message and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them," Pfleger said.

Read Entire Story Here

Note to Father Pfleger... YES you offended people you dumb a$$! Why the heck do you think you needed to say anything if you didn't offend somebody!?

P.S. I'm sorry if I offended anybody with this post.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I`m outraged........how dare you sir.

Do you know how many dumb a$$`s you`ve just insulted?

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
You're absolutely right. Here is my written apology:

"My post here on ATS was entirely inconsistent with Senator Obama's long-standing relationships with any number of dumb-a$$es that he has chosen to associate with over the years. I deeply regret if I offended any of you dumb-a$$es."

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
That's politics for you. Only exacerbated by the trends of sound bites and attention-grabbing headlines. Parsing formal responses until they're 'technically true' from each angle really squeezes out the appearance of genuineness, doesn't it?

But if that's the worst example you can find, you're not looking hard enough! For example, in the article you link, look at this little syllepsis from the Clinton campaign, a mere two paragraphs down:

Divisive and hateful language like that is totally counterproductive in our efforts to bring our party together and have no place at the pulpit or in our politics

Yeah, I'm sure they're very "disappointed" to have to respond to such "despicable comments".

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This trend has been getting under my skin for a long time now. It seems to be happening in pretty much everywhere that famous people (celebs, politicians, athletes, etc.) are involved.

I think the politicians use it intentionally though because of how the media swarms to cover these remarks, and then the apology gets very little attention. But after the fact, because of how the potentially offensive sound bites are repeatedly drilled into the minds of the main stream media audience, the message is planted. The apology does very little to change the mentality that was created as a result of the heavy bombardment of the original statement.

Ever heard the saying, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission." That seems to apply to this in some twisted sort of way.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama
This trend has been getting under my skin for a long time now. It seems to be happening in pretty much everywhere that famous people (celebs, politicians, athletes, etc.) are involved.

That's why I was totally shocked when Hillary apologized about lying about the sniper fire. I couldn't believe she actually said she was embarrassed or ashamed or whatever she said.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
it's the "I'm sorry IF I offended anybody" trend.

That's not really admitting that you are wrong, is it? It puts it upon the person who was offended .... it isn't saying "I was wrong'.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Honestly, I find the constant "apologies" you refer to as obnoxious. Enough already! He’s not sorry he said it and I if you (the royal you) are offended by something someone else says, get over it! I find the “offensive” card being used, more and more, as a tool to enforce someone’s arbitrary definition of political correctness.

IMO, being “offended” is the tool liberal fascists use to quell opinions or ideas they don’t agree with. Shame on them. What’s worse? People who are so lacking in spine, and intestinal fortitude, giving in to those who get “offended” by mere opinions.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
First I wold like to apologize if the following appears to be off-topic or in any way offends anyone to any degree whatsoever, I would also like to extend this apology to any person that is not aware of this thread or the topic at hand or even aware of this board.

If the Churches are going to get involved in politics then they should be Taxed! These morons in white collars need to stfu and go back to preaching the gospels, if they want to be in politics then put away the collar and run for office. They really are the same sort of social pariah these so-called holy-men and politicians. Keep your churchand your gods out of my government and I'll keep my government out of your churches.

Now having stated the above I wish to fully recant any and all apologies to any persons or entities listed above ... Thank You

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If y'all are talking about what seems to be the words of a rabid coc aine induced priest in that church (?) I never saw anything like it and hope i never see that again anywhere.
Where the hell does he get off? He's the pesonification of EVIL
if i ever saw one, and there is no excuse for him- ever. I dont care what he says, or for any apologies. He is an evil evil man, i dont care about his white collar or his credentials which he probably got on the Internet.
That's not a man of the "cloth" as they say,
He's a F@#$% A @#$%&.
I'd have him checked for child molestations.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It is the trend in a litigeous society.
It starts with us.
If you have a car accident, emphasis on accident, 'they' still tell you not to admit liability.
Nothing peeves me off more than someone refusing to accept responsibilty.
Sometimes the word sorry goes a long way.

top topics

join