It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw Video: APD officer confronts KOB photographer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by InsiderInfo

He did overreact and didn't act correctly, but I wouldn't call it an "attack". Plus he is a rookie, and has never been in the situation before.

If I came over and slammed you into the side of your car, I think you certainly would be calling it an "attack." I've seen people go to jail for less violent attacks.

How do you know he has never been in that situtation before?

What difference does it make if he was a rookie or not anyway? He is supposed to be a professional regardless. Did he not pay attention in class? Was he taught that now that he has a badge he can do whatever he wants to someone who bothers him?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

The police do not prevent crime. They might invent one, but they don't prevent them. They are there to react after the crime has already been committed.

Alright. If there were no police, that means no one to catch lawbreakers and bring them in. That also means, no one would obey the law since no one would be getting caught for it.

Do you obey the law? If you do, it's because of police. If there were no police, what would honestly compel you to obey the law? If there were no police, you could walk up to someone, shoot them, take all their money, and then walk down the street announcing you just killed someone and took their money, while holding it in the air. And since no one has the job of brining you in, since there are no police, the law saying you can't shoot someone and take their money is kind of useless, huh?

Try calling the police and telling them that someone is coming to your house with a gun to kill you. They'll tell you to call back when the person actually shows up.

That's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. Why don't you experiment for us? The local PD is only a call away. Record the call too as proof. But we know you won't do that, because you are pulling this stuff out of your hat.

Rest assured, I've been in 2 different departments so far, and both we take calls like that seriously and dispatch immediately. In fact, there's a crazy old woman who is known of making fake calls, everyone in the department knows her. One time we went to her house because she saw strange lights in the sky. We told her "Maam, we call that the moon." But you know what? Even though everyone knows she's crazy, and just about every call from her will be a hoax, we still dispatch and show up. Because it's our job, and our duty.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If I came over and slammed you into the side of your car, I think you certainly would be calling it an "attack." I've seen people go to jail for less violent attacks.

I don't see anyone getting slammed into the car until he shoved the officer back. Watch the video again, first the officer just hits the camera to get it out of his face, then the cameraman SHOVES the officer, where you can see the officer lose his balance and fall on his hands and knees, THEN he gets up and tries to tackle the cameraman, shoving him into the car. Shoving an officer is considered assault on an officer, which is a felony. The cameraman is lucky he was released with no charges.

How do you know he has never been in that situtation before?

I don't. Innocent until proven guilty is how I thought the law worked. Or does that only apply to everyone but police? I thought police were citizens of this country too. Do we not have the same rights as you do? According to some of the posters here, it seems like we don't, and it seems people feel we should be able to be harassed with no repercussion.

What difference does it make if he was a rookie or not anyway? He is supposed to be a professional regardless. Did he not pay attention in class? Was he taught that now that he has a badge he can do whatever he wants to someone who bothers him?

Are you for real? Being a police officer is a job. Have you ever worked a job where you received training? No matter how good you did with training, someone with 20 years of experience on the job is always going to be better at it than someone with 1 year of experience. No matter what the job is. It's common sense. Something a lot of posters on here seem to be lacking.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I just wanted to throw in this little experience I had with a camera in the car. Actually, there were four of us in a van. My young female cousin was the designated driver this particular night, and a friend in with us was a film-school student who had been rolling most of the night.

We got stopped by the State Troopers, who are supposed to be the most professional and well-trained of all law-enforcement. They gave no reason for the stop, and kept badgering my cousin about drinking. She hadn't had a drop, but they remained un-convinced. The poo-poo hit the fan when they decided to get everyone out of the van and they found the camera recording.

The footage would have showed that they had no reason to stop us to begin with. My friend was ordered to stop filming. He set the camera on the floor after pretending to shut the thing off. A few seconds later the Trooper saw a light on the thing, and knew that the camera was still on. My friend wound up eating gravel, and the camera was destroyed.

Luckily though, we were all allowed to leave without any charges.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I can't believe that the photographer would be so stupid as to tell the officer, after having been told to leave the area, that he would turn off the camera when the officer leaves.

The photographer was ordered out of the area because there was a shooter on the loose. The cop shouldn't have to provide a detailed explanation to citizens when they are executing their duties and just because a citizen happens to have a press card (or whatever) and a $50,000 camera doesn't mean that citizen is above the law.

I think the whiny little twerp got what he deserved.

Clearly, he was interfering with an investigation. He was given ample opportunity to comply with the officer's command and he refused to do so. Then when the officer forcefully puts him under arrest, the photographer starts whining about his camera.

Boo hoo!

[edit on 2008/5/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Do you obey the law? If you do, it's because of police.

Hardly. My own morality is based on how I was raised. If anything, I would be more inclined to exhibit criminal behavior as a result of abuses against my person by the police on a number of ocassions.

It is also fitting here to point out that civilization existed for thousands of years without the police. The first police force was established in London less than two-hundred years ago.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsiderInfo
And it gets worse, politicians are now wanting to chip/implant officers with cameras built into THEM, and a tracking system.

Heh, citizens think they have to deal with big brother and being controlled/spied on - trust me, police officers do to.

I would say the police brought this on themselves. Had they weeded out the bad ones to begin with, then the citizenry wouldn't have to "spy" on them.

As I keep saying: Police your own before I trust you to police me.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Long time lurker here posting anonymously because I really don't want to sign up. But this issue is one that has had my attention now for some time. Police cars at one time had the words."To protect and Serve" painted on the sides of the vechiles. I'm not certain that they still do.

Twenty or more years ago a friend from college decided that he was not going into secondary education after obtaining his degree but instead decided to attend the State Police Academy and become a state trooper. He was married with kids on the way and saw the cop job as bein
g a secure livelihood. As things go we went our separate ways over time.

Meeting up again several years later,my friend was still a state trooper. He had but one regret. The circumstance of the job had changed him. He soon realized that the only people that he associated with were other cops and criminals. And that he was caught in a reaffirming loop of conditioning....us and them.

It seems to me that this attitude is something that has lead to the situation that can be seen in the police force of today. Except the the "them" has become anyone that is not in law-enforcement. And that those who are not in law-enforcement are all potiental criminals and are treated as such.

In this country there seems to be an ever growing separation between people. Those that have and those that don't. And at the bottom of the pile in the "haves" are the police. Who will either through a sense of doing what they think is up-holding the law or through a sense of elitism only serve to widen that separation.

And people who have will always want to hold on to what they have, turning a blind eye to any inaproperate action by law enforcement. And whatwith the enviroment created by the present cabal in Washington all that law enforced has to do is apply a few choice labels to an individual,"person of interest","terrorist", "drug addict", "mental" and their actions are acceptable.

So understand that this opinion that some people have , "If you are an innocent ,you have nothing to be concerned about" can keep repeating this mantra as they are tasered,cuffed,sprayed and haul off for simply having a camera out in the presence of law enforcement.

We the People have loss control of our country.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

We got stopped by the State Troopers, who are supposed to be the most professional and well-trained of all law-enforcement.

Heh. State Troopers are overpaid. They make double what a local officer will make, while at the same they basically only enforce traffic laws and never do anything really dangerous (except in the rare instance they deal with a lunatic behind the wheel). If a bank robbery is in progress, who gets called? Deputies or City police, never State Trooper unless State Trooper is the closest one there. Same goes for domestic disturbances.

And the ones here are real jerks. They write speeding tickets to the other smaller department officers, and brag about it. I got stopped by one for going 5 over on the highway in my vehicle on the way home from work, and even after showing my police ID and letting him know I was carrying, he still gave me a ticket for 5 over. And he did it with a smug look on his face.

As a general rule of thumb, cops don't write cops. It doesn't apply to state troopers though.

I just wanted to throw in this little experience I had with a camera in the car. Actually, there were four of us in a van. My young female cousin was the designated driver this particular night, and a friend in with us was a film-school student who had been rolling most of the night.

They gave no reason for the stop, and kept badgering my cousin about drinking. She hadn't had a drop, but they remained un-convinced. The poo-poo hit the fan when they decided to get everyone out of the van and they found the camera recording.

The footage would have showed that they had no reason to stop us to begin with. My friend was ordered to stop filming. He set the camera on the floor after pretending to shut the thing off. A few seconds later the Trooper saw a light on the thing, and knew that the camera was still on. My friend wound up eating gravel, and the camera was destroyed.

Luckily though, we were all allowed to leave without any charges.

I want to throw in this little experience I had. One time I was at the grocery store, and I bought a lotto ticket. I went home, and turned on the news, and my number was called! I won 200 million dollar powerball lottery, and I moved to beverly hills.

I no longer have to put my life on the line to save your ungrateful butt, and all for mediocre pay. The health benefits were great though! I'll miss those.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

That's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. Why don't you experiment for us? The local PD is only a call away. Record the call too as proof. But we know you won't do that, because you are pulling this stuff out of your hat.

Is it now? This actually happened to me. The man was arrested when he did actually show up at the house, with the gun in hand.

A few years later he was shot and killed by police in his front lawn after he doused his mother in gasoline and tried to set fire to her. He lunged at a Deputy with a hatchet when they arrived.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Carrying spears? Sounds more like a palace guard or imperial forces than elected officals running a competent organization of intelligent individuals hired to protect and serve the people who pay them.
I don't mean to infer that all police are of this disposition.There are many fine human beings that don the uniform.It's the few that we have to worry about.The old excuses that"Oh he must of had a bad day" doesn't hold water.If you can't maintain objectivity on the job stay at home.Not every citizen is a potential criminal just as not every officer is a paragon of virtue.The whole point is that an officer should access not harrass.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

And it gets worse, politicians are now wanting to chip/implant officers with cameras built into THEM, and a tracking system.

Heh, citizens think they have to deal with big brother and being controlled/spied on - trust me, police officers do to.

I would say the police brought this on themselves. Had they weeded out the bad ones to begin with, then the citizenry wouldn't have to "spy" on them.

As I keep saying: Police your own before I trust you to police me.

Heh! Do you have any idea what kind of a hiring process officers go through? Trust me, they do weed out the bad ones, and you have to practically be a saint to get the job. It takes on average 12 MONTHS of background checks, interviews, oral boards, tests, lie detectors, voice stress analyzers, and psychological tests, from when you signed up, till you get the job. If you ever get it. That doesn't include Academy training, which 40% of people drop out of.

The NY State Police get on average 20,000 applicants when they hire every 3-4 years. Out of those 20,000 only about 100 get the job.

Sure, police can go bad after being on the job. They are exposed to a pretty bad atmosphere after all, they see things average citizens will never see, they are exposed to a life and a group of people that average citizens will never see. But the officers that go bad, are few and far between.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by InsiderInfo]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Heh. State Troopers are overpaid.

Around here Troopers are well-respected. They are in fact the ones who get called in on almost all bank robberies for instance. They are also required to have four years of college, and military experience is preferred.

I also have been extended a professional courtesy by Troopers, but my last ticket came from a local in a department that I used to work with. Go figure.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's when Law Enforcement says there are up holding the law but give officers the right to enforce or not enforce the law, based on the officers judgment of the situation the bothers me. We have become a nation of laws and how to successfully break those same laws. The word lawyer comes to my mind.

I have had few bad experiences with LE. But I will share one.

I got a call while at work saying my 17 year old daughter had collapsed to the floor while getting her hair cut. I didn't know what to make of it over the phone so I left work to be with her.

As I got on the 4 lane express highway to get home there was a wreck. An over turned dump truck was blocking the highway. The accident was just after an exit to get off so I took it. No LEO in sight.

My view of overhead signs was block by a tall truck in front of me. At the end of the exit I turned left onto the new road. I then immediately saw an on ramp to this 4 lane highway that would get me past the wreck. There was a newly arrived LEO there and I thought he was there to help me get back on the highway. Wrong. He right away pointed to the ground. Meaning stop. I had broken the Law.

Mind you I was driving an assigned state vehicle registered to the state of O**O for my use as I travel a lot for my job. He asked for proof of insurance for a state vehicle?? I gave him that. I explained my situation with my daughter but he was not interested. Maybe he thought it was a lie.

I accepted my ticket after a discussion with LEO. Two weeks later I got certified/registered mail from OBMV (O**O bureau of motorized vehicles) saying the were going to revoke my driving license if I did not provide proof of insurance.

After looking at the ticket a second time I could see he did not check the proof of insurance box even though I provided it. I was the only vehicle there that he had to deal with. I have his last name and badge number because I ask him for it. Maybe that made him mad.

InsiderInfo. Where did I go wrong? He made a bad day even worse.

Sorry to be off-topic with this rant...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I thought it was the job of the news reporters to report the news?

I wasn't aware that putting yourself in danger for your job was an offense that constitutes being jack-booted and arrested.

If the cameraman wants to put himself in the line of fire, that's his peragative.

Or is it illegal for the news reporters in Iraq to report the news in Iraq because they "might get shot"?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

And the ones here are real jerks. They write speeding tickets to the other smaller department officers, and brag about it. I got stopped by one for going 5 over on the highway in my vehicle on the way home from work, and even after showing my police ID and letting him know I was carrying, he still gave me a ticket for 5 over. And he did it with a smug look on his face.

I'd have to say...good. Now you know how we feel.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It all comes down to this. The police are in charge, you have no rights. End of story. This is yet another example to illustrate that fact. Don't worry about what might happen if martial law were to be declared. We live in a police-state right now, and there is nothing that you can do about it.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is just another classic example of a green officer on a power trip. In this particular case I don't think it was a conspiracy of any kind to hide the truth of the incident being covered. It was a case of an individual officer being a bully.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I beg to differ. I believe these "green" officers are taught this. That is the problem.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

In this particular case I don't think it was a conspiracy of any kind to hide the truth of the incident being covered. It was a case of an individual officer being a bully.

While you may be correct, the reaction of this officer raises some serious concerns. Perhaps the police did in fact do something very wrong that they didn't want captured on film.

It's not like police haven't shot innocent people before, or "fixed" a crime scene. And I would need little convining that a cop like the one on film here might be involved in something like that. Obviously it wouldn't take much for that cop to put a bullet in you when no one was looking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join