It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crane collapses in New York City; at least 1 dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Crane collapses in New York City; at least 1 dead

www.huffingtonpost.com

NEW YORK — A construction crane collapsed Friday on New York's Upper East Side, smashing into a 23-story apartment building before crashing onto the street below and leaving at least one person dead.

It wasn't immediately clear whether there were additional fatalities. The Fire Department said it has pulled people out of the wreckage at East 91st Street and First Avenue. Their conditions were not immediately known.

Firefighters and rescue workers were continuing to search through the wreckage.

The accident happened 2 1/2 months after a crane collapsed, killing seven people about two miles south.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I really don't know what to say about this... either the cities saftey inspectors are not doing their jobs or contractors are cutting way too many corners.

Lets hope its just 1 dead... but that is too many.

www.huffingtonpost.com

CX

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This has happened a couple of other times recently, what on earth is going on with these things?

Heres the link to the last time this happened, apparently a city inspector resigned after his arrest on charges of falsifying business records and offering a false instrument for filing.

three missing after crane collapse

CX.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
let me tell you from experience that it's surprising that it doesn't happen more often .
i've been a structural ironworker for 20yrs now and worked with hundreds of different cranes and the tower cranes are by far the most spooky pieces of equipment that there is on a jobsite .
this one i can tell you right away did not fall from the same reasons the last one did in new york . the last one came down while jumping it . thats where they actually seperate the tower or vertical part of the crane just below the house and insert another piece of tower before lowering it back down onto itself and bolting it securely together.
this one you can clearly see that the house separated from the tower . that would most likely be caused from either faulty or improperly securing the house to the ring at the top of the tower or by overloading the crane with to much weight which in turn would cause the failure and seperation of the house and boom from the tower.
i've seen more than one crane fall to the ground and have more than a handfull of close buddies die from catastrophic failers an the job and there is no way to describe the feeling of it no matter how hard i try to.
all that i can say is that the corporate people who are running these companies are far to worried about money and not very concerned about the men and women who are out there risking life and limb to feed their families.

MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL OF THE FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LOVED ONES IN THIS TRAGEDY

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
According to CNN and construction workers, inspectors were on site. It has not been made clear whether the crane was being raised at the time of the collapse.

My first thought was that safety was being short cut but it doesn't, on the surface, look that way.

Edit:

It was stated by a construction worker that the crane had no load at the time.

[edit on 5/30/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
if you look at the pictures of the top of the crane you will clearly see the ring that is still left intact and the house and boom are gone . if you look right below that you will clearly see where they separate the tower to jack it up and if you know anything about tower cranes can immediately tell that is not where the problem occoured.
i have personally jumped several tower cranes and can tell the difference . those reporters have no clue as to what one even looks like up close they can only go on what they are told by others who also dont know what they are talking about. my entire adult life has been spent with tower , crawlers , hydro's , friction and rubber mount cranes . i know them better than i know my ol'lady.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

I don't think that misinformation has been given out by the news. They interviewed two or three workers at the sight (were on the building). One worker stated the boom was over the building across the street. Another stated it looked like the cab and boom separated.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Agreed with Ironman....house and boom are gone...they were jumping and down it came.

Let me say this. The Union's need to get some, a little push back and learn to do their job to protect those of us who pay into it every week.

These deaths are senseless and are caused by greedy contractors who value money more then life.

My heart goes out to the families and the crews.

Remember...THE POLITICIANS DID NOT BUILD AMERICA'S CITIES...IRONWORKERS, PIPEFITTERS, BOILERMAKERS,CARPENTERS,ELECTRICIANS DID. THEIR BLOOD IS ON THE SOIL OF AMERICA"S CITIES.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
if you read closely what i wrote i stated that the reporters are given info from other people who dont know what they are talking about. for instance you can have a laborer or electrician or any other trade person who has worked on jobsites for 20 ,30 or even more years who dont understand the first thing about how a crane even works . unless you are being given info from someone who has first hand knowledge of how they work you might as well ask your sister what happened you will probably get more accurate and detailed info from her .

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

So do you believe it is more likely a structural failure of a crane part/material or that it may have been assembled incorrectly. I certainly hope human error is not involved. i understand can cannot state this with 100% certainty. Just your gut feeling knowing the business.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i highly doubt that it was human error as per forgetting to stick a pin or tighten a bolt but if it were as some say an accident with no load on the hook then it is most likely failure of a part wether it be a crack in some metal part or something like that.
you have to understand that not only are the ironworkers trained for the assembly and disassembly of cranes there is also a crane tech there working side by side with them with his spec book in hand so all tolerances of that particular rig are not over loaded or over looked while it is being assembled.
as an ironworker myself i know that not just any ironworker is allowed to participate in the erection and lowering of these types of cranes. only the best ironworkers are invited to participate because it is considered the most dangerous job on the site.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Again...I agree with Ironman. Find the Operator or any operator on the job site (guys who work the cranes) and you can get better info.

I often work as a rigger and I have my fair share of closecalls because some nut wants the job done faster. Screw them...take two for safety..so what if the job takes a extra week.

The Union's have been so trampled down by the lawmakers, politicians, media and big money that they have forgotten who flips the bill! The guys that hang steel are caught in the middle and they pay with their life while the BIG MONEY goes to the bankers and politicians.

AMERICA IS UNION BUILT! IF RATS ARE ALLOWED THE JOB IS NEVER DONE RIGHT!

[edit on 30-5-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Companies are more worried about losing they're performance bonds and they're Finish times than safty on the work place. Its the 'time is money" factor in all instances. You literaly have to put your job on the line most times to get your immediate supervisors to do they're jobs correctly and get safety in your work place implemented. Its mostly lipservice any more. You'll see signs everywhere that say "Safety First". Thats all it is though, just signs!!!!

edit for spelling!!

Zindo

[edit on 5/30/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Thanks. I suspected that those involved were quite careful given their own life could be on the line working around the equipment.

May be it is not the case here but some businesses are known to cut maintenance corners to save a buck. They can put a cost on a life, pay out and still make a good profit.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
you are correct when you say it's only signs.
every estimate given in my industry has an estimated # of deaths included in the price. it's cheaper on a jobsite to have a man die than to have him survive a major accident .

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I really don't know what to say about this... either the cities saftey inspectors are not doing their jobs or contractors are cutting way too many corners.

Lets hope its just 1 dead... but that is too many.

www.huffingtonpost.com

How do we know it's not sabotage?

An accident like this can break a developer and make the property being worked on come up for sale. You would be surprised how easy it is to remove some bolts int he middle of the night, even in NYC.

Just a thought.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
How do we know it's not sabotage?

An accident like this can break a developer and make the property being worked on come up for sale. You would be surprised how easy it is to remove some bolts int he middle of the night, even in NYC.

Just a thought.
Thats avery good question. Other than an act of nature cranes don't crash on they're own.

Zindo

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone thought of the Bridge Collapsed and the Many Pipelines that are Bursting in NYC. I live in Queens so we get the local news. My opinion is that the Earth is Shaking, all the time. I think the increase of earthquakes is just the Noticeable diffrence, i think there are unnoticed tremors. If you shake anything just a Tiny amount all the time or even frequently, then it will eventually give way. After the First crane fell 2 months ago there has been SO many new rules put in place to avoid this. The water pipes bursting threw the streets two Cranes fall, and the bridge collapse, and im sure there is plenty more that i am not remembering. Please feel Free To DIG!

I think it is Literally Deeper then we think, but then again, i think that with everything.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Itbecause so much of your infrastructure is 200 years old. Some of the water mains that have broken are made literaly of wood from the 1800's.
your politicians have taken the money for improvements and squandered it to special interests and not bothered with the complicated logistics of any major project needed to fix the problems!.
Zindo

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Thats not True, all the pipes were solid metal, i saw them for my own eyes, the one that gave the old women a Heart Attack was Fairly new. Sorry bud, but there isn't "wood Pipes" in NYC, haha.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join