It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Is Changing Our DNA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Your ignorance is silly. Light is a kind of EM radiation, as are radio waves. Visible light has a MUCH higher frequency and way more energy than the radio spectrum. Gamma rays are a kind of light too, way higher than visible light.

Open up a textbook.

Mod Edit: No need for the insults. Keep it clean.

Peace,
ALIEN

[edit on 4-8-2008 by alien]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Your ignorance is silly. Light is a kind of EM radiation, as are radio waves. Visible light has a MUCH higher frequency and way more energy than the radio spectrum. Gamma rays are a kind of light too, way higher than visible light.

Open up a textbook.

Ok let me open a text book that I recorded into my mind. I know a lot about EM radiation.. probably more than I should know...

Did you know that radio waves have a much longer wavelength? And light has much shorter wave length? Do you know what this means? It means that radio waves can pass through objects much more easily, and even travel farther.

Longer wavelength radio waves penetrate through water more easily. This is why the U.S. Navy uses low frequency radio waves to communicate with submarines.

Did you know humans are created with about 60-70% water?

Light however, since it is a much shorter wavelength, it doesn't pass through mediums as easy as longer wavelengths...

This is why radio waves can travel through walls better than light.

In terms of energy, a couple seconds of high frequency is the same energy as a couple hours of low frequency... The only difference is time.

So what is more dangerous?
A: Hours and hours of radio waves right next to your ear, penetrating your body/head made of water?

B: A dim light source (lamp) that can't even pass your skin?

I believe A, is the best answer.

Also, the Sun emits radio waves, and radio waves is one of the only other frequencies that can pass through the atmosphere.

Originally posted by Johnmike
And way to revive your own thread like a dick.

I don't know if you noticed, but I was replying to someone that made a comment. It was not me that "revived" it, it was someone else who probably just made a new tag and it brought it back up. So kindly remove your uncivil remarks from this topic. Then go read a better book than the one you have been reading.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Avast, scoffers!

First: sunlight contains ultraviolet light - high-frequency, highly energetic electromagnetic radiation.

This light is energetic enough to alter the structure of complex, delicate molecules, DNA among them. This has now been observed in the laboratory.

In fact, mutation caused by UV radiation from the sun is one of the prime causes of skin cancer.

The OP, then, is right. The sun is changing our DNA.

The Sun is responsible for evolution. The Sun is our father.

This, also, is true. Without sunlight, life as we know it could never have come into existence on Earth, nor could it have evolved into such a multitude of forms. Energy from the sun powers these processes - not by changing the DNA of sex cells directly, but by its effects on the environment, which in turn drive both mutation and natural selection.

Of course there are other agents of mutation besides ultraviolet light. Still, the OP is correct as far as these statements go: the sun is indeed our father.

The kind of radiation given off by mobile phones doesn't act the way UV does. The person who worries that 'radiation going right through you' need not; the worst it can do is warm up a few water molecules in your skin. If radio waves contained enough energy to do you any damage, you'd be dead as a doornail already, because there is not a moment of the day when radio waves are not passing through your body - waves, moreover, of just about every wavelength you can imagine, including microwaves.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm going to reply, but first I need to go bash my head into a brick wall. BRB.

Ok, right...

Where was I? Yes, does the sun drive evolutionary processes. Short answer, no. The sun has no direct effect on evolutionary process. Genetic mutation and propagation is what drives evolution. Now, what we're talking about is not any residual effects the sun may have on the environment, the OP specifically states and effect of changing DNA. So this is the topic of discussion and what needs to be addressed.

As was stated previously, the energy received by the sun is insufficient to affect the genetic structures of cells within the reproductive organs. As was also mentioned, cells repair themselves, so even if one stray wave damaged one strand of DNA out of billions in the reproductive organs, this would still be insufficient to drive any evolutionary changes.

Again, for clarification as to the topic originally posted, this is in regards to a direct effect of the sun on cellular DNA as a driving force behind evolution. If you wish to refute that, then refute that aspect of the topic originally posted and not bring in other indirect effects in an attempt to postulate your own opinions and derail the original message of the thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
You seem a little agitated, sirnex. But then, I suppose I would be, too, if I'd just bashed my head against a wall. Did it hurt?

Originally posted by sirnex
Does the sun drive evolutionary processes. Short answer, no.

I don't recall saying that it did. What I said that energy from the sun powers the living environment, whose multitudinous and ever-changing attributes are among the primary drivers of natural selection. A somewhat more subtle point.

So this is the topic of discussion and what needs to be addressed.

I beg to differ. The topic under discussion is 'the sun is changing our DNA', and that, quite clearly, was the burden of my post.

As was stated previously, the energy received by the sun* is insufficient to affect the genetic structures of cells within the reproductive organs. As was also mentioned, cells repair themselves, so even if one stray wave damaged one strand of DNA out of billions in the reproductive organs, this would still be insufficient to drive any evolutionary changes.

Indeed this was previously stated. No need to state it again. As far as my post is concerned, it's irrelevant.

(Don't) bring in other indirect effects in an attempt to postulate your own opinions and derail the original message of the thread.

I fear the living of moderator is not in my gift, but I could write you a reference if you like.

*I think you mean 'from the sun'.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Blah blah blah about DNA. It is a new age cult type thinking and nothing more. Remember when Wicca could change your life drastically? Or when everyone wanted to be a wizard and could see auras?\

As I recall, the most harmful radiation from the sun is filtered out by our planets magnetic field. The rest is UV rays and Visible light. Maybe some infrared. The infrared is such a low dosage that it does nothing. The UV rays can cause you to sun burn but that is only skin deep. Unless you're dumb and decide to stay in the sun for 8 hours a day hoping it will change your DNA....

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

New age cult thing? That's funny, because this thread was based off of real world calculations that nobody on the face of the planet has ever published publicly.

It was also based off of knowledge of a man named Ed Leedskalnin who cured himself of advanced tuberculosis by spinning in a chair outside in the Sun light from 1:00 to 3:00pm for a few days.

Also, do you have any idea what Neutrinos are?

en.wikipedia.org...

Neutrinos are elementary particles that travel close to the speed of light, lack an electric charge, are able to pass through ordinary matter almost undisturbed and are thus extremely difficult to detect.

Most neutrinos passing through the Earth emanate from the sun, and more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos pass through the human body every second.

Do you know of any scientific research that calculates the effect of Neutrinos passing through the body? Do you know of any scientific research that explains what would happen if instead of 50 trillion solar electrons, 100 trillion pass through your body instead? How about less?

Do you know of any research that can determine the effects of Neutrinos on your DNA?

Because, if you know more than me, please speak up. As of right now you are showing signs of NOT.

On that note, do you know how many other possible particles are passing through us that we have not discovered yet, because we can not detect them? Do you think we have found every particle in the known universe?

You see, you must not act like you know, when clearly you don't.

YOU CAN NOT SEE

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Considering all energy forms in this ecosystem we are a part of ultimately reduce back to solar energy and our very existence is dependent on that solar energy - our history, our current breath and our future generations - the statement "the sun is changing our DNA" actually can't be refuted in any way. It absolutely has, is and will change our DNA and the world around us. It will continue to fuel all life, which ties our genetic make-up to it without reservation.

What came first - the chicken or the egg? Neither - the sun came first. For our world, it was imperative that it do so.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
realised after i posted that its completely pointless getting involved in this sort of nonsense....

Wiki as a primary source... NICE!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by johnDoe21]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Yes actually I DO know about neutrinos. I know exactly what you just said. They lack the electron and have no mass. Matter of fact they are only detectable by watching water reflections with very high resolution electron microscopes.

What makes you think that me or anyone else is going to believe you when you say it is proven in papers that were never published and have no record of ever existing?

Neutrinos have no mass, and no way to affect anything that DOES have mass. I am very open minded and will give you and the entire scientific community the credit they deserve. We do not know everything and never will. But honestly, come on now. If the sun was changing our DNA then why the hell are monkeys still climbing trees and eating fleas? Weren't they doing pretty much the same thing when humans started to evolve? Particles hitting our cells do not cause evolution. Read up on darwins theory of evolution and then compare it to the most popular Creationist theories and get the facts straight.

Wait, let me guess. Humans are the chosen species and a race of intergalactic ET's have decided that we are special....or maybe it is the work of the almighty god....

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnDoe21

realised after i posted that its completely pointless getting involved in this sort of nonsense....

The reason it is pointless is because the Sun is the primary source of all life, and there is no way to debunk my original post no matter what you say. It's just a fact that photons are responsible for ALL electromagnetic phenomena, which EVERYTHING in the universe is made of. So, no matter what you say, human and all matter is made of light, and magnetic force, and when the Sun changes, WE change.

Originally posted by johnDoe21
Wiki as a primary source... NICE!

Well, if you actually did some research you would know that wiki is not the primary source. Wiki has a source too. Actually the information I posted was sourced from MIT.edu

web.mit.edu...

It's getting more and more obvious when noobies make new accounts here, and target certain people just for the sole purpose of disagreeing.

It's getting real obvious, that some people hold grudges, and try to hide behind names like JohnDoe, and run around and try to discredit people with absolutely, NOTHING.

Wow, you just tried and failed to discredit me by discrediting Wiki. LOL. Failure.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

I don't get why it would do anything, especially since it's not even ionizing radiation.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Yes actually I DO know about neutrinos. I know exactly what you just said. They lack the electron and have no mass.

Lack an electron? Wow, one type of neutrino is called an "electron neutrino".

Have no mass? Not according to this source:
www.fnal.gov...

If neutrinos had no mass, the particles would not change as they traverse the Earth and the MINOS detector in Soudan would have recorded 177 +/- 11 muon neutrinos. Instead, the MINOS collaboration found only 92 muon neutrino events--a clear observation of muon neutrino disappearance and hence neutrino mass.

Matter of fact they are only detectable by watching water reflections with very high resolution electron microscopes.

Really?

www.america.gov...

The Minnesota side of the experiment features a huge 5,443-metric-ton particle detector that measures the properties of the neutrinos after their trip to northern Minnesota. The cavern housing the detector is 805 meters underground in a former iron mine.

What makes you think that me or anyone else is going to believe you when you say it is proven in papers that were never published and have no record of ever existing?

Actually the Ed Leedskalnin thing was published. Also, this was published:

Nature provides for three types of neutrinos, yet scientists know very little about these "ghost particles," which can traverse the entire Earth without interacting with matter. But the abundance of neutrinos in the universe, produced by stars and nuclear processes, may explain how galaxies formed and why antimatter has disappeared. Ultimately, these elusive particles may explain the origin of the neutrons, protons and electrons that make up all the matter in the world around us.

I am not asking you to believe me, I am asking you to research it yourself. Obviously you failed.

Neutrinos have no mass, and no way to affect anything that DOES have mass.

I already proved they do have mass.. Actually if you read wikipeida, right under the "Interactions" chart, you can see that neutrinos have "weak force interaction" AND "gravitation" interaction. How would something with "no mass" have gravitation interaction? I think you are wrong, neutrinos do have mass. Do you know how that effects us on a small but definite scale? I do..

If the sun was changing our DNA then why the hell are monkeys still climbing trees and eating fleas? Weren't they doing pretty much the same thing when humans started to evolve?

Maybe the monkey would prefer to live that way? Actually, looking at pathetic human lives, I understand why they would want to be closer to nature. Free food, free shelter, no laws, no bills. Get it? Maybe I should refer you to a topic about a study of "the difference between humans and monkeys" and "what makes us humans"? They concluded that there is no major difference.

Do you expect some instant change or something? Do you expect instant shape-shifting or something? Did I ever say that the Sun was evolving, or devolving our DNA? See you are jumping to conclusions.

However, the Sun greatly effects our environment, and our environment evolves us. Good or Bad.

The Sun greatly effects our temperature, our physical abilities, our skin color, skin type, the clothes we wear, which all have its effects.

There is radiation from the Sun that DOES make it to the surface of Earth effects us. Not all of it is blocked. Ever herd of Solar Flares?

en.wikipedia.org...

X-rays and UV radiation emitted by solar flares can affect Earth's ionosphere and disrupt long-range radio communications.

Wow, x-rays and UV-rays affect the ionosphere?? Did you know that? I certainly did. Do you know how the ionosphere effects humans? Certainly you can do SOME research and find out.. hint "brain waves".

Particles hitting our cells do not cause evolution.

Hitting? Did I say it was kinetic energy? No..

What if I told you race was solely caused by the Sun?

Africans are only dark because they lived closer to the equator for such a long time, that their skin was genetically changed and passed on?

What about Asians, what if I told you they are the way they are because of their geographic location on Earth over the years? Every race originated from different parts of the Earth, all of them got different amounts of solar radiation, so they all are genetically different because of this.

Seem, most of the dark skin color races live closer to equators, and get more Sun. Most light skin colored races live further away from the equator. Crazy huh?

What about people that lived near the North pole?

en.wikipedia.org...
At the North Pole, the Sun is permanently above the horizon during the summer months and permanently below the horizon during the winter months.

Wow, that's a lot of Sun.

Read up on Darwin's theory of evolution and then compare it to the most popular Creationist theories and get the facts straight.

You are telling me to read THEORIES, to get FACTS? Nice..

B.T.W. I read them...ALL of them. I have my own evolution theory.

Energy is God. We were "created" by God, energy. The creation process was slow and long, something sort of like Darwin's theory, but it was all under control. Like mixing Darwin's theories with creationism. Crazy huh?

Wait, let me guess. Humans are the chosen species and a race of intergalactic ET's have decided that we are special....or maybe it is the work of the almighty god....

Well, we are deffinetly at the top of the food chain because of our knowledge. And we are created by energy, which I believe is God. God is everywhere, all powerfull....can not be created or destroyed... you know.. energy.

But that is beside the point.

The Sun created everything you see on Earth. Including you. It is responsible for all the changes you see, and all the different life forms you see, and all matter is created by light.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
en.wikipedia.org...

In physics, the photon is the elementary particle responsible for electromagnetic phenomena. It is the carrier of electromagnetic radiation of all wavelengths, including gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet light, visible light, infrared light, microwaves, and radio waves.

Don't even try to argue this because you don't have ANY arguements unless you live where the Sun don't shine.

The sun emits particles and cosmic energy that can pass through ordinary matter quite easily. The most widely known of these particles/waves are neutrinos. So it is quite conceivable and indeed likely that other sources of "radiation" can affect our evolution over a short and long period of time. Light does not need to be involved, as there are other forms of light which do not reflect off of ordinary matter, nor are absorbed by it.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE

Wow, x-rays and UV-rays affect the ionosphere?? Did you know that? I certainly did. Do you know how the ionosphere effects humans? Certainly you can do SOME research and find out.. hint "brain waves".

this is the most important piece of your entire premise in this thread, if you want my honest opinion. The phenomenon that you are referring to here is something that I have been researching off and on over the last few months (every since that thread was deleted and the poster was banned for lord knows what), as have other members of this forum. I would suspect that soon we will a thread pop up.

Very esoteric, Allis0ne.
I think I agree with your statement about there being noobs who seem to like to argue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join