It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Is Changing Our DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This is FACT. Ok?

Electromagnetic radiation from the Sun is slowly changing our DNA. Just like radiation "therapy" changes DNA.

en.wikipedia.org...

Radiation therapy works by damaging the DNA of cells. The damage is caused by a photon, electron, proton, neutron, or ion beam directly or indirectly ionizing the atoms which make up the DNA chain.

The Sun is responsible for evolution. The Sun is our father.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This is a FACT. Ok?

Just because you claim something is a fact does not necessarily make it so.

I can post anything I like in quotes, but if I do not cite a source for my information it really does not prove anything or lend any credibility to my claim.

Got a link to the source of your FACT? Seriously. I'm very interested in DNA.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Oops, sorry, I fixed it and put a link to the source.

en.wikipedia.org...

And uhh, I don't even think I need further proof, it is self explanatory.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thanks AiO. Going there now.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
WOW

That was Brutal

I wanted to post but you two seem ready for a fight!

I'll back off for now

He walks away in disgust then grabs a beer and finishes typing this .

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
Oops, sorry, I fixed it and put a link to the source.

en.wikipedia.org...

And uhh, I don't even think I need further proof, it is self explanatory.

How do you link radiotherapy to electromagnetic radiation and then the sun?

That link doesnt explain anything relative to what you are claiming is "A Fact". Sorry but your reasoning is seriously flawed

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Don't know how true this is. I guess you can judge for yourself, but I googled and found this article on the subject. Hope it helps.

www.starlineunlimited.com...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
You have a separate genome in every cell. That is, the sun will only mutate what it hits with light (duh). Meaning, exposed skin. Our cells actually repair most damage.

What you need to realize is that the sun is nowhere near the sole cause of genetic mutation. There are actually some natural mistakes in cell division (though rare). The only time these genetic changes are carried over, however, are when they effect your gametes. That is, sperm or eggs.

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Light is electromagnetic radiation.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Johnmike]

link   
en.wikipedia.org...

In physics, the photon is the elementary particle responsible for electromagnetic phenomena. It is the carrier of electromagnetic radiation of all wavelengths, including gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet light, visible light, infrared light, microwaves, and radio waves.

Don't even try to argue this because you don't have ANY arguements unless you live where the Sun don't shine.

link   
The Wiki article talks mostly of the damage done to cells and DNA through radiation therapy. I'm curious how you reach the conclusion that this type of radiation is beneficial to DNA?

From your Wiki link:

Radiation therapy works by damaging the DNA of cells. The damage is caused by a photon, electron, proton, neutron, or ion beam directly or indirectly ionizing the atoms which make up the DNA chain. Indirect ionization happens as a result of the ionization of water, forming free radicals, notably hydroxyl radicals, which then damage the DNA. In the most common forms of radiation therapy, most of the radiation effect is through free radicals. Because cells have mechanisms for repairing DNA damage, breaking the DNA on both strands proves to be the most significant technique in modifying cell characteristics. Because cancer cells generally are undifferentiated and stem cell-like, they reproduce more, and have a diminished ability to repair sub-lethal damage compared to most healthy differentiated cells. The DNA damage is inherited through cell division, accumulating damage to the cancer cells, causing them to die or reproduce more slowly. Proton radiotherapy works by sending protons with varying kinetic energy to precisely stop at the tumor

If your theory were correct, wouldn't we see lines of people at the radiation clinic's hoping to get some new and improved DNA?

I do believe that our DNA is slowly evolving, though I'm not ready to give the sun credit for this. Tell me more.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
I'm curious how you reach the conclusion that this type of radiation is beneficial to DNA?

I never said anything about it being "beneficial", I was saying that it was changing our DNA. Which it is.

For those that think the Sun only hits your skin, well there is other radiation that just passess right through you.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
If your theory were correct, wouldn't we see lines of people at the radiation clinic's hoping to get some new and improved DNA?

It's a tale that Ed Leedskalnin sat in a chair from 1:00pm to 3:00pm directly in the Sun, and spun around in circles to completely cure his advanced tuberculosis.

Just some neat info.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Light is electromagnetic radiation.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Johnmike]

Yes I know that, but how is electromagnetic radiation from the sun causing the same effects as radiotherapy? I dont see any similarities between light from the sun and radiotherapy.

Hope thats a bit more clearer than before

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
hes right, read up on it, the suns magnetic fields affect everything about us, personality, our moods from day to day, our interactions with other people, pretty much everything. because the electromagnetic currents constantly in contact with our bodies and i would be less than surprised if it is starting to change our dna, apparently we are supposed to be evolving into a species with a new extra strand of dna, so ive heard.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ALLisONE,

Electromagnetics do not give off radiation. This is not possible due to the fact that electromagnetics are part of gravity. Our DNA cannot change from this.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The sun doesn't really have an effect on our evolution. It does change our DNA, but the only cells it really affects are the ones of our skin. To be inheritable, a mutation must be in a gamete cell. So unless you have a habit of slicing open your reproductive organs and exposing them to the sun, the sun's radiation isn't going to affect your children. Ultraviolet is the only major ionizing radiation that reaches us from the sun, and it has poor penetration.

Since your body cells aren't constantly being replaced by your skin cells, the sun's radiation just tends to kill skin cells, ala sunburn, cause benign mutations that we never notice (and the cells just ablate off your body as normal), or it causes skin cancer.

A lot of people use the phrase "your DNA" like a person has just one unit of DNA. Every cell in your body (with a few exceptions, like erythrocytes, but they're hardly cells at all) has at least one nucleus, each containing it's own copy of your DNA. A mutation in a cell's DNA will only affect that cell, and any cells it divides into. Skin cells just fall off and are replaced anyway, so unless the mutation causes cancer, skin cell mutations don't really matter.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbooms
apparently we are supposed to be evolving into a species with a new extra strand of dna, so ive heard.

And if you believe this, you're a fool.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE

The Sun is responsible for evolution. The Sun is our father.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by ALLis0NE]

Then who created DNA? Answer that question and you will know who our TRUE "father" is.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

didnt say i believed it, its speculation and what ive read in many books, i take it in as theory and nothing more...there is the possibility it is true, but i in no way said that is something i believe in

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
lol. You guys are way too heated for a subject like this.

It makes sense when you look at the big picture.
Various forms of radiation have been attributed to damaging DNA strands, in effect, altering our blueprints. Granted, it won't happen to your body during your life... it's the DNA thats used in your egg/sperm that matters in Evolution... not some arbitrary DNA strand in some other area of your body, DNA in other areas of your body are simply there to guide the repair and growth process of your own body.

The DNA used to create your children (egg/sperm) is the DNA that matters when altered.

As to whether the Sun is the primary cause of DNA alteration, or whether it simply adds to it remains to be seen.

I suppose the only way to test the theory, would be to keep a couple of generations of people from ever being exposed to the sun... and see if there are any genetic deviances between the child and parent.

If the same number of genetic alterations are present as you'd expect with a surface dwelling human... then the theory collapses.

If few to no genetic alterations have occurred, the the theory is sound.

It has to be tested before we can make any further analysis.

Stick to the rules of scientific studies... they're there for a reason.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join