It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge Was Cemetery First and Foremost, Study Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Stonehenge Was Cemetery First and Foremost, Study Says

news.nationalgeographic.com

Stonehenge stood as giant tombstones to the dead for centuries, new radiocarbon dating suggests.

The site appears to have been intended as a cemetery from the very start, around 5,000 years ago—centuries before the giant sandstone blocks were erected—the new study says.

New analysis of ancient human remains show that people were buried at the southern England site from about 3000 B.C. until after the first large stones were raised around 2500 B.C.

"This is really exciting, because it shows that Stonehenge, from its beginning to its zenith, is being used as a place to physically put the remains of the dead," said Mike Parker Pearson of England's University of Sheffield.

"It's something that we just didn't appreciate until now."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
How dare those ignorant, grubby, dirty neolithic men make a cemetery out of our new age space port, solar calender, Druid temple, Roman ruin and alien time machine...

I mean, like how dare they!!!

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm sorry but when I read that I was thinking some poor schmuch who was building stone hinge died when he accidentally fell into the pit right before they lowered one of those huge slabs and now the geologist's are thinking this was built as a grave

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Yeah it looks like it... and I was ready to go to England in my Druid robes wearing a tin foil hat to offer virgins at the ruin... that's of course assuming I can find any... virgins that is.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
yeah it's EASY look for the Ugly Sheep!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
EWWWW!!!... NNNAAAHHHHH!!!
or was that BAH?

Any rate its an interesting article and worth the read... considering all the burial mounds in the area I am surprised no one realized this earlier.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Occams' Razor probably applies here.

With so many people studying Stonehenge and the like, you would think they would apply a more common approach to their studies from the bottom up, rather then start at the top and work their way down.

Many times mysteries are created rather than discovered.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

This is true... unfortunately Occam's razor is rarely used (especially on here) and it would save a world of hassle if it was.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The question still remains; why would neolithic people choose this site? Think of places like Westminster Abbey. If you've ever been there you'll know that the building is full of tombs and gravestones. Quite creepy, in fact. Was the Abbey built as a gravesite or was the site 'holy' and that is why people wanted to be buried there?

www.britainexpress.com...

www.london.gov.uk...

It seems that the site of Stonehenge has had significance for a longer period than we realise.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

It seems that the site of Stonehenge has had significance for a longer period than we realise.

I agree those are not grave markers! I'm sure before and after it was built that there was some kind of mystic feel to it! Be it summer or winter! Something major was going on

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well according to the article most of the bodies were buried in the Aubrey holes (which the article misnames halls)... the 56 or so small pits that surround the stone monument.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately skeletons and cremated remains are of no use in dating a site unless there is proof that the person died in situ. So, yes, Stonehenge was used as a cemetery in the past and would continue to be used as such today if not for the local authorities, but that does not imply it was built for the purpose around the time of the deaths. Archeologists continue to ignore the one feature, described by Prof. RJC Atkinson, that could be used to show the true age of the site to be at least 6000 years (and more likely 13000 years). Instead all efforts are aimed at placing Stonehenge in the late Neolithic.

www.stonehengeobservatory.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yeah I was watching this one that spoke of another woodhenge and stonehege.

The woodhenge was thought to be to represent the living, these were tree stumps set up just like the stonehenge which represented the living.

A balance of day and light, sun and the moon.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
stonehenge is sandstone?

Anyway, dragging multi-ton stone blocks from Wales, and constructing them as Stonehenge is made seems like an awful lot of effort for a grave marker.

I swear, if you gave me ten thousand men and all the rope I could use, I still couldn't orchestrate the placing of one of the top bits. I just can't see how they did it. The phenominal amount of work it would have taken to get the whole thing done, just begs the question: why? What motivated them?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
stonehenge is sandstone?

Anyway, dragging multi-ton stone blocks from Wales, and constructing them as Stonehenge is made seems like an awful lot of effort for a grave marker.

I swear, if you gave me ten thousand men and all the rope I could use, I still couldn't orchestrate the placing of one of the top bits. I just can't see how they did it. The phenominal amount of work it would have taken to get the whole thing done, just begs the question: why? What motivated them?

What motivated them was to honour the dead,appease spirits etc etc they were very superstitious back then..you would be surprised what humans can do..look at the big slab of rock in baalbek...Takes alot of work,sneaky ways to move such objects..but it really isnt impossible..i dont see much of a conspiracy,just dedicated guys.

top topics

join