It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Appeal as a Black Man to White People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Many seem to believe Obama's appeal derives from white guilt. I don't believe that is true. Those people misunderstand why white people would want a black president.

Many people are sick of being lied to and cheated by politicians. Even politicians who pretend to be reformers often turn out differently. They join the establishment.

Many people don't a black man can really join the elite establishment. The liberal literature repeatedly claims the white-male establishment promotes racism, and would never accept a black man as a full member.

Presumably, this should make it harder for Obama to become a sellout. The idea is that the elite will not deal with a black man as an equal member. In many people's minds Obama will have a more natural urge to fight the elites, and look out for their interests.

The siituatio has analogies in wrap. White listen to black wrappers to hear them attack the police, or others who have power over them, because black people are less constrained by a 'white', elite morality.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crontab

The siituatio has analogies in wrap. White listen to black wrappers to hear them attack the police, or others who have power over them, because black people are less constrained by a 'white', elite morality.

An interesting analogy. Although it's "rap" not "wrap."

I agree with you though... I don't believe people would vote for Obama out of "white guilt." People (regardless of color) want to keep the status quo, yet they know deep down that change is an inevitable function of life. I think they just want someone strong and smart who can usher in the change gradually and effectively.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well I'm white and he hasn't appealed to me at all. Did you listen to his speech in Portland, Oregon? He said the following,

"We can't drive our SUV's and...eat as much as we want and keep our homes on...72 degrees at all times...and then just expect that every other country is going to say OK."

That is the most messed up thing I've heard a candidate say in a very long time. In fact the last time I heard anything like it was when Jimmy Carter was president, and at least he had the good sense to get elected before he started telling the American people that all the worlds problems were their fault.

I'm an American and I will drive my SUV, eat as much as I want, keep my home at 72 degrees and I don't give a tinkers damn what the rest of the world thinks about it.

Jimmy Carter was the worst president in recorded history. Obama is a stupider version of Jimmy Carter.

I pray for this nation if that moron gets elected.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by mrwupy]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I'm an American and I will drive my SUV, eat as much as I want, keep my home at 72 degrees and I don't give a tinkers damn what the rest of the world thinks about it.

I think what Obama is trying to say is we have a great life here in this country. We can't lose sight of the fact that most of the world doesn't live in the same manner we do. We need to keep in mind that tough times mandate habit changes. As Americans we have shown our ability to unite under stressful circumstances... like 911. If energy and food costs continue to rise let's unite again. We don't need to drive the biggest SUV. We can get by with homes on 65 deg instead of 72. We don't need to overindulge in food, become obese, overburdening the healthcare system that much more. That's why most people believe their vote counts? Just one vote in millions... but it's the little things that matter to us as individuals and perhaps the little things that will help us as a country.

I pray for this nation if that moron gets elected.

I have some reservations on Obama myself but you really think he can do worst than the current?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

I have some reservations on Obama myself but you really think he can do worst than the current?

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Just slap me upside my head and make me think awhile.

The current is on his way out, unless he nukes Iran and declares martial law. (which I think he probably will do.)

I don't support any of the candidates for President. Regardless of who is elected the American people are screwed.

Thomas Jefferson is dead, All of the creators of this nation are dead. We are left with the ashes of men with no dreams and servants of the powers that be.

The saddest part of this tale is I'm an optimist.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is one of those threads that will go horribly wrong, fairly quick.

Let's look at the remaining 3 characters. Same in a suit, same in a pant suit, change.

Obama hasn't had enough experience to be paid for and bought by lobbyists and power brokers inside the beltway. He's a senator so he is already within the elite community.

He is really the only hope of change, either good, bad, or very bad, that we have. What we have now is a broken system that no one will step up to an fix the way it should be. Piecemeal and patches don't work, ask Microsoft about this and their software. This is were I have hopes for Obama, he will institute change because he doesn't know any better.

BTW: I'm a card carrying, donation driven Republican for over 35 years. McCain is an old fool and turning into a joke.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Back on topic, I am white and I never even think about Obama being black until somebody else brings it up. I used to be impressed with Obama, but the more he talks, the less impressed I am. His SUV/thermostat/eat too much speech was when he really lost it, imo.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The saddest part of this tale is I'm an optimist.

Hmm... I see what your saying. Try to think of it as a realist.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by crontab

one only has to look at the news that comes out of africa to understand why some of us would be concerned about the usa possibly undergoing "change" you can believe in?into another zimbabwe/south africa/sudan/somalia/libya/algeria---------------sorry but their track record of human rights abuses is far worse than the usa has at the moment-------i guess we wont miss what we got till we don't have it anymore?

yes i am nervous about such radical change---i just want to be left alone---thanks.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I really can't understand how we can elect someone who will actually be able to make the counry worse off than it already is. Our system is apparently not set up that way. Blaming Bush for something that has most likely been in the works for 20 years or more is also ridiculous. Obama's appeal may only be due to our now closer connection with the lower class and his standing between them. If our politics is "as usual" than I doubt it will matter much anyway.

I'm still wondering who these people will pick for their running mates.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
Many seem to believe Obama's appeal derives from white guilt. I don't believe that is true. Those people misunderstand why white people would want a black president.

Many people are sick of being lied to and cheated by politicians. Even politicians who pretend to be reformers often turn out differently. They join the establishment.

Many people don't a black man can really join the elite establishment. The liberal literature repeatedly claims the white-male establishment promotes racism, and would never accept a black man as a full member.

Presumably, this should make it harder for Obama to become a sellout. The idea is that the elite will not deal with a black man as an equal member. In many people's minds Obama will have a more natural urge to fight the elites, and look out for their interests.

I'm white and Obama does not appeal to me in the least....never has for that matter. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact he is labeled as a black man....which in fact he is NOT. I am very concerned for my pay check, my freedom and this nation if that man gets elected. I see him as a pandering hypocrite - right up there with Al (Do as I say, not as I do) Gore.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The liberal LA Times summed it up with there article referring to Obama as "The Magic Negro"

www.latimes.com...

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org... .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

I assure you that "white guilt" is playing no part in MY decision. I just can't stand liberals no matter what color they are!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm with ya man. I definately have a bad case of Baraknaphobia.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Barack Obam appealed to me at first, but after I started reading about his pastor, his church, his organized crime connections, his dirty tactics in the political arena, etc. I decided he was no different from any other politician.

His mantra of Change is just that.. a mantra. The only change he's interested in is the change in the American Taxpayer's pocket.

PS:
I'm a big Nightstalker fan, and I always think of this episode when I see or listen to Barack Obama:

While covering a predictably boring senatorial campaign, Carl discovers the leading candidate, who came out of total obscurity, has sold his soul to the devil for political power.

Source

[edit on 7/12/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
... wow, that "Magic Negro" comment/characterization is so off base. Like the guy or hate him, that's a pretty poor way to describe him. The original use of that term (in the article in the L.A. Times) bears the mark of someone who has discovered a term or idea and begun to use it without realizing what it actually means, or was meant to convey.

I can't say exactly why white folks like President-Elect Obama, but I suppose I'll be criticized for thinking that it's because he was the smartest, sharpest, and toughest of the bunch. The guy's an intellect, through and through--I'm an educator, and I was astonished to watch him learn the way that he did and with the speed that he did through those debates.

Call me an optimist, but I think white people like the guy for the same reason a lot of other kinds of people do: because he's inspiring and they think he's got a ton of promise, and he seems like the kind who might actually think before he acts. You don't have to chalk him up as a "Magic Negro" just because he has failed to live up to a set of stereotypes concerning his race. And to those who would challenge his claim of being black or an "African American"--you sorely need to revisit your own country's history. He is exactly 1/2 black African, which has ALWAYS been enough to qualify as "black" in America.

Phew. But all that aside: I have never been so proud of white folks in my entire life, as I was after that election. Go Obama!

new topics

top topics

join