It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World is changing due to oil prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Everything is changing.
The lady who does my son's daycare, for example, had 4 people drop in their notices today because these families can't afford the gas it takes to drive there and back each day. That's almost half her income! Meanwhile her husband just got laid off. Her mom has been helping her with the kids for about 2 years and now she had to lay her mom off because she can't afford it! Alot of us have been more lucky, but how much longer can we do this? How much longer until the fuel-rationing starts? We have no readily available alternative to fall back on.

I'm already hearing that fuel-oil is gonna be 8-9 dollars a gallon here in Interior Alaska this winter. Source:
www.newsminer.com...
Everyone in the state is scrambling trying to find ways of lowering heating costs in the winter. We in Alaska depend on fuel-oil not just to heat our homes but to survive the winter (especially those in more remote locations). What are we going to do? Then we have to pay all the extra costs for gas to run our vehicles. Not to mention warm them up in the cold winter months so you don't freeze to death on the way to work.

I currently pay rent up here for an apartment for myself and my family. I'm fearing that our rent is going to increase dramatically due to the increased cost of fuel-oil. We could get a dramatic price hike for rent at any time. It just happened at the old apartment complex I lived at. They wanted 200 dollars a month extra and we were already paying 900 a month for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment. We gave em the finger and moved out.

I've been looking at the Department of Energy's short-term energy outlook. It doesn't look good..
www.eia.doe.gov...

You can also see my research into the price of gasoline in this thread I started a while back. Scary stuff:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-ChriS

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
this is the way it's going. Oil is going to keep going up, because there is nothing to stop the people in control of the prices. it's a complete scam too... i mean... look at how the media portrays why fuel prices are going up, they say things like "Today the price of oil rose by 3 dollars a gallon due to increased tensions in XXX regions where Pipelines are found" or "the price of oil is expected to go up due to supply shortages"

the truth is that these things are happening, yes. BUT they have always happened. you can't tell me that in 1998 when gas was less than a dollar a gallon, that there weren't tensions in areas of the world where oil pipelines are found. the middle east has been in turmoil for a very long time, but only in the last 5 years has it really affected oil like this. the price of gas at the pump has gone up roughly 5-10 cents each week for the last 2 or 3 months. i can't remember the last time gas prices actually were lower from one week to the next thusfar.

why is it that when the oil fields in kuwait were set aflame in the gulf war, gas prices didn't rise to 4 dollars a gallon? what's changed?

I can remember a time when gas first broke over 1$ a gallon, and people were outraged. now people are paying between 3.95 and 4.50 or more per gallon, and they're just saying to themselves "wow, i sure hope that gas comes down soon"

the oil companies are going to strangle us with these gas prices because they know that we're going to continue to pay for it, at least until it finally comes to a point where everyone just says screw it and stops buying gas.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You know I don't get how people can be so worried about how high the prices on oil is when they don't even pay people enough, maybe that should be the issue here. Anyways, I know oil is very important to us all but look what its doing to the world, its causing global warming, pollution and a big hole in our wallets. Maybe if they did less panic on how high the oil prices are and more thinking about to replacing oil. A different kind of source that does less harm to the world and our self's. If things continue the way they are, there will be only the poor and rich and this is what they want, but what good is money when your world is dying and your dead cause of global warming is killing your planets, animals, food. Ill tell you one thing though, they wont need to buy there ticket straight to hell. Money is the most evil thing and greed is the case here. Things only get worse before they better and if doesn't get better soon its only gonna get worse, so put your seatbelt on kids and get ready for a hell of a bumpy ride your sure to the your head on a couple of times.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by CloakATS]

Sandman has a very good point.

the oil companies are going to strangle us with these gas prices because they know that we're going to continue to pay for it, at least until it finally comes to a point where everyone just says screw it and stops buying gas.

Any remember the electricity crisis?

Next we will be worrying about our water bills, you all better start building your outhouse in the backyard.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by CloakATS]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Thanks for that. I think the overall trend for oil is naturally an increase in prices. Although the geopolitical/supply and demand situation is always changing it certainly does not look peachy at the moment. But if you look at this overall trend of oil prices from OPEC countries over the last few years it's obvious that in the long term higher prices are the trend.

Meanwhile the oil companies make record profits while the world is running in circles trying to figure out what they're gonna do! It isn't so easy for some people who have to pay nearly 3-4 times what the normal gas prices are to heat their homes for the winter due to the extremely high cost of fuel-oil in the wintertime up here. Trucking companies are freaking out right now.

I'm not saying this is the end.. But the trend is continuing and increasing global demand for oil is not helping. Supply already can't keep up and oil production is not exactly keeping pace.

meanwhile the normal american with a car burning regular unleaded has NO alternative or choice but to pay the increased prices and change how they live in order to faciliate the hit in the pocketbook..

People in the lower 48 are freaking out. It's magnified x4 here in cold-winter weather locations in the U.S. where fuel-oil can easily be 2-3 times the price of unleaded gasoline. And we need it to survive! The only alternative many see is to offset the fuel-heating with simple woodstoves. We may eventually all be burning wood stoves just to keep our families from freezing to death if this keeps up.

The overall increase for a barrel of oil from the compared to the price at the beginning of January is nothing less than STAGGERING!!! We all know that basic economics implies up and downs.. But historically, as I said before, it is normal for prices to increase due to the various factors that determine oil prices..

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Congress recently proposed to continue the hike in oil prices to force corporate markets into action. I actually support this move by congress. (google it) When it starts to take a toll on people's wallets it is bound to cause a reaction.
Shame that nuclear energy was rejected as an option so many times in the past. Americans wouldn't be in such a predicament right now. Even the president of Greenpeace believes nuclear is the way to go.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Congress recently proposed to continue the hike in oil prices to force corporate markets into action. I actually support this move by congress. (google it) When it starts to take a toll on people's wallets it is bound to cause a reaction.

It does seem as if the only way to get through to corporate america is to force their hand, but i wouldn't want to give into such an absolute method of solving the problem.

This method seems like a botch-job solution, the kind which people will eventually recover from and start taking advantage again.

The sad fact is that this problem cannot be solved solely by going after the corporations (as much as i'd like it to be), and treating it as such is only going to make things worse.

You really think that laying the problem at the feet of a bunch of corporate hoo-hahs is going to make do anything other than protect their own interests?

It's nice to think that would be enough, but there is still other points to make;

The most prominent being the possibility that the war in Iraq is the cause of this recent rise in oil prices, despite the fact that we're bringing more oil in.

It's like the best thing ever for the oil producers - not only has America, a state which many are not particularly bothered about being nice to, decided to take care of matters with it's own hands, but by doing so has driven up oil prices because of the perceived nessecity to have more oil.

An increase in supply ensures an increase in demand...

My point here is that perhaps Bush has turned you all into victims of your own desire to stay as top-dog...

top topics

join