It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aristide and the REAL TRUTH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Why they had to crush Aristide

Haiti's elected leader was regarded as a threat by France and the US

Jean-Bertrand Aristide was re-elected president of Haiti in November 2000 with more than 90% of the vote. He was elected by people who approved his courageous dissolution, in 1995, of the armed forces that had long terrorised Haiti and had overthrown his first administration. He was elected by people who supported his tentative efforts, made with virtually no resources or revenue, to invest in education and health. He was elected by people who shared his determination, in the face of crippling US opposition, to improve the conditions of the most poorly paid workers in the western hemisphere.

Aristide was forced from office on Sunday by people who have little in common except their opposition to his progressive policies and their refusal of the democratic process. With the enthusiastic backing of Haiti's former colonial master, a leader elected with overwhelming popular support has been driven from office by a loose association of convicted human rights abusers, seditious former army officers and pro-American business leaders.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Once again, the US and the western world prey upon smaller nations of color like parasites. Maybe if we'd leaves these coutnries alone we wouldn't have terrorists.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You may find this thread to be of interest when considering the "real truth"

Is there a USA/Haiti Conspiracy?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Once again, the US and the western world prey upon smaller nations of color like parasites. Maybe if we'd leaves these coutnries alone we wouldn't have terrorists.

May I ask what you think we have to gain by this?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

May I ask what you think we have to gain by this?

"May I?" Where else is Disney going to get it's $20 gift shop child's pajamas made for 7 cents a pair?

It's corporate America (i.e. Wal
Street) which owns the White House, which in turn runs the third world like a sweat shop.

Aristide was a malcontent and wanted more for his people. I'm not saying his police weren't corrupt, but he wasn't playing ball enough for Bush.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What do we import from Haiti (besides Haitians)?

It isn't like they have a lot to offer us.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

What do we import from Haiti (besides Haitians)?

It isn't like they have a lot to offer us.

The Disney labor/ Haiti connection is real. I can find the article if you like. We import cheap labor right off the coast. Though it's very convenient for Disney being in Florida, other companies use Haiti too.

Basically starving impoverished people willing to work for pennies an hour is what Haiti offered as long as Aristide kept his mouth shut. We don't "import" anything; we EXPORT American jobs.

Perhaps if they were trying to kill us or had oil we'd be as interested in Nation Building in our own backyard as we are across the globe. But they are neither. They are poor, black people killing each other when they aren't working for us as near slave labor.

So why the negativity toward Haiti COOL HAND? Why does a neighbor have to "offer us" something for us to care about them? We're already involved there in manufacturing. And if anything, when it comes to critical drug enforcement efforts we need them more than they need us.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I just don't see a benefit for the US, or any country for that matter, to have an interest in Haiti.

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. About 80% of the population lives in abject poverty. Nearly 70% of all Haitians depend on the agriculture sector, which consists mainly of small-scale subsistence farming and employs about two-thirds of the economically active work force. The country has experienced little job creation since President Pr�val took office in February 1996, although the informal economy is growing. Failure to reach agreements with international sponsors have denied Haiti badly needed budget and development assistance.

While many have just heard about the coup in Haiti there has been coup's throughout Aristide career. I just don't think that this is that big of an issue.

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The Disney labor/ Haiti connection is real. I can find the article if you like. We import cheap labor right off the coast. Though it's very convenient for Disney being in Florida, other companies use Haiti too.

I'd like to see that article.

So why the negativity toward Haiti COOL HAND? Why does a neighbor have to "offer us" something for us to care about them? We're already involved there in manufacturing. And if anything, when it comes to critical drug enforcement efforts we need them more than they need us.

Who says we do not care about them? If we did not care we would not have sent troops in.

Please prove the drug enforcement issue, I would love to see the evidence of that. I have had some experience with drug enforcement, and we get no assistance from them short of maybe a phone tip every now and then. Trust me, we could still do the mission without that help.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hello colonel; it's good to see you on the job; you may not recgonize me; then again you may...

land grabs and corporate colonization can go by many number of different names used to portray these atrocities as a neutral or positive event; that does not make you correct in the eyes of those who see regardless of how the situation is played out in mass media(propaganda networks)...

so in re. to cool hands comment about colonels comment and his attempt to "play it cool";

aristide was placed in power and easily taken from his position; as all who co-operate with the beast and his many heads; yet a country like haiti that is predominately all black
the beast will have no way possible of achieving control over its citizens and now knows this; thus, colonial intervention and coporate land grabs.

the bushes have been rattled and the snakes are coming out of the grass...

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
HA!! AHA!!!! you see!!!! the president didnt play ball so he's OUTTA here!

i love this board. you people are geniuses! i had a thread speculating on this latest installment on the regime-change saga.

this happens all of the time!

what am I talking about? well, for one thing, the disarming of a country by its leader is a bad thing for defense contractors. not only will they not be taking orders from a previous customer, they will face price fluctuations as the disarmed weapons flood the markets, both black and legal.

additionally, if a lot of the people voted for the guy in the last election, why would the US media claim this guy was unwanted by the majority of the population?

and really, when in the 20th or 21st century did it actually happen where a government would forcibly replace another country's leader with someone who wouldn't play the corporate game? NEVER

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I'd like to see that article.

There are countless. How about just the first few?

Disney's Hell in Haiti

Haiti Sweatshops; You Tax Dollars at Work

12 Cents in Haiti

National Labor Comittee: An Open Letter to Disney

Boycott Disney: It's a THIRD WORLD After All...

Your additional previous assertion that we need not concern ourselves with third world Carribean neighbors in the War on Drugs since "they have no impact"... is, well, shocking actually for someone claiming drug enforcement ties. I think you can perform your own Google search to correct that misconception of yours.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by foolishbeing
hello colonel; it's good to see you on the job; you may not recgonize me; then again you may...

land grabs and corporate colonization can go by many number of different names used to portray these atrocities as a neutral or positive event; that does not make you correct in the eyes of those who see regardless of how the situation is played out in mass media(propaganda networks)...

so in re. to cool hands comment about colonels comment and his attempt to "play it cool";

aristide was placed in power and easily taken from his position; as all who co-operate with the beast and his many heads; yet a country like haiti that is predominately all black
the beast will have no way possible of achieving control over its citizens and now knows this; thus, colonial intervention and coporate land grabs.

the bushes have been rattled and the snakes are coming out of the grass...

No, I don't recognize you but thanks for the heads up. Should I know you?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Your additional previous assertion that we need not concern ourselves with third world Carribean neighbors in the War on Drugs since "they have no impact"... is, well, shocking actually for someone claiming drug enforcement ties. I think you can perform your own Google search to correct that misconception of yours.

What exactly do we use them for? I know of several other countries that have provided far more than them, in fact I cannot find anything that I would call credible as to how Haiti supports our anti-drug campaign.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
RANT,
Here are a couple for you:

www.oplpeople.com...

www.usembassy.it...
www.radiohaitifocus.com...

You were saying something about needing them to fight the war against Drugs?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We're coming from two different places toward the same goal Cool Hand.

You're saying Haiti doesn't do enough, I'm saying we could use them to do more. I don't place Haiti in any higher spot of importance than the rest of our Carribean neighbors, but ignoring them would only make things worse.

Constructive engagement is how to deal with other countries subject to trafficking IMO.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I disagree. It is better to get out of our way than to impede it.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

RANT,
Here are a couple for you:

www.oplpeople.com...

www.usembassy.it...
www.radiohaitifocus.com...

You were saying something about needing them to fight the war against Drugs?

Those are great examples actually. Like "Haiti's Anti-Drug Chief Charged with Trafficking" supports we need to be MORE invloved in Haiti not less IMO.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Those are great examples actually. Like "Haiti's Anti-Drug Chief Charged with Trafficking" supports we need to be MORE invloved in Haiti not less IMO.

What, exactly, do we have to gain in Haiti?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Haiti is no different in importance to us than any drug trafficking nation.

Rather than keep asking me to explain the obvious as to why we should take the fight on drugs to the source, why don't you explain to me why being xenophobes is superior?

What would you do? Shut off relations with all other countries and militarize the borders taking out anything that moves, swims or flies? Then just lock up every American that uses when it still gets through?

If you would, fine. But I disagree.

Wage war on the source, not the user.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Haiti is no different in importance to us than any drug trafficking nation.

You made it seem so, that was where I disagreed with you.

Rather than keep asking me to explain the obvious as to why we should take the fight on drugs to the source, why don't you explain to me why being xenophobes is superior?

I agree with taking the fight to the source. That is the kind of stuff that I worked on.

new topics

top topics

join