posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:18 AM
So I get Clearwire as my internet service provider. I have had probably half a dozen isps before this, and I'm just going to say, I have NEVER had
so much trouble with the quality of my service from any company before.
First off, let me say that they advertise 1.5 mbps speed. While it is true that I have seen my internet test this fast, this is only the peak
speed. Let me tell you how this works:
- Every other isp I have ever used let you download at maximum bandwidth speed all day long.
- With Clearwire, you can only get your peak bandwidth if you only log in for 20-30 minutes a day.
- Playing a game like World of Warcraft or anything online will diminish your speed to a near standstill. It will get so bad and so slow that you
will literally get booted out of the game for a bad connection. This happens even when all 5 signal meter lights on the modem are lit.
- If you leave your computer on all day (even without browsing the internet or doing any other online activity), all that little traffic that the
computer is always doing seems to add up. Gradually over time your connection speed will get slower, and slower... and slower. My 1.5 mbps speed
will slow down to as little as 0.05 mbps.
- The only way to remedy this is to unplug your modem for about 8 hours. This seems to be the necessary time to reset the system. I do not
reboot the computer. Just unplugging power to the modem, then plugging it back in 8 hours later, and I'm at full speed again.
- If you attempt to download files which takes more than 20 minutes to download, or if you download many files whose total time for download is more
than 20 minutes, your internet speed immediately cuts in half.
- Listening to C2C streams, I have to select the crappy 8 kbps bitrate, and even this only lets me get about halfway through the program before it
lags so bad I can't hear any audio any more. So I have to download the files the next day to hear last night's program. But this leads to download
problems I spoke about above.
- Longer than about 1 hour, your internet speed will slow down to about 0.2 mbps
- If you attempt to upload anything more than 0.03 mbps or upload continuously for more than 20 minutes, your internet speed will be locked at 0.05
and you have to call them on the phone to get them to reset it. It will not reset on its own.
- Furthermore, if you have to call them 3 times to have your internet reset, they automatically cancel your service permanently.
- Cancellation of service means that your contract is terminated early, resulting in a $200 cancellation fee. Even when you don't initiate
I have been on the phone with these people more times than I can count. They won't give me a straight answer of what I can or can't do online, but
in my experience it seems that the service is EXTREMELY limited. Furthermore, their customer support and contract policies are obscene, and I would
have to give this company zero out of 5 stars for satisfaction.
(edit: accidental wrong category. apology to mods if you have to move)
[edit on 30-5-2008 by ianr5741]