It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romans 13

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I had a feeling you where just trying to make me laugh. But sometimes you never can tell here on ATS!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Oh good!

Now you HAVE laughed! And that makes me genuinely smile.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Very good post Ashley ...I agree 100 % with it ....star for ya ..
You pretty much covered it all very well actually....

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
That's why the LDS church uses the KJV, it's the least corrupt one.

I have never understood the love affair that some people have the with KJV.

There are changes in modern KJV bibles from the 1611 version.
And the 1611 version doesn’t match the original text either.

www.biblestudy.org...
www.asapnet.net...
www.raptureready.com...
www.theology.edu...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I have never understood the love affair that some people have the with KJV.

As I understand it, the two reasons why I've heard the KJV is 'better' isn't because of accuracy at all (the NIV took over 8 years and a hundred scholars who translated the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts) but rather these two reasons:

1.) Tradition. A lot of people more than three decades old have grown up on the KJV and learned the language as it was taught by church and family.

2.) Poetic nature. There's something about the older English that sounds more descriptive and colourful than the modern day language.

Hope this helps, it'll be a mystery to you and I as we'd probably not grown into that tradition or seek to complicate understanding with the aged manner of speaking.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to light.

After comparing my 1950's KJV to "Todays English Version" there are HUGE differences.

The KJV states that there is no power but of gods.

Todays version says we must "obey state authorites" and "pay taxes". word for word. Obey.

Also the intro to Romans in my KJV states that this was Pauls sixth letter and written sometime around 58 A.D while preparing to head to Jerusalem for a short stay before heading to the western world. Why to the western world?

Luke later tells us in Acts that Paul was arrested in Jerusalem and sent as a prisioner to Rome to plead for his life before Caesar.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What is wrong with this passage of Scripture? In this world that is very prone to barbarism, anarchy and evil, governments exist to be a restraint to that evil. The reality that a government restrains chaos and promostes civilization doesn't mean that it is in and of itself "good" or right. It is simply a tool who primary purpose is to avoid chaos and promote the growth of mankind.

No sane person would argue that Paul and the early church would support from a moral or religious perspective the Roman government ruling over him at the time of this writing. A polytheistic, morally perverse society.

Paul is trying to teach a very persecuted and downtrodden group questioning the Roman government a simple truth. A truth that history itself would soon prove.

When the Roman Empire fell, the period therafter is known to us as? The DARK AGES. Humanity regressed in nearly every way imaginable after Rome's fall.

Yes, it deed reach such a point of corruption and falsehood that it had to die and did.

Paul is teaching the church that their lives should be consumed with growing in God and supporting each other, not in politics. In other words, God is in control and empires will rise and fall but in them and through them and after them, His purpose will remain.
edit on 14-10-2010 by JudgedCover because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
well said. It is just unfortunate that many will take these new teaching as "fear the law, we are god, you will obey"

In early America, religion and politcs went hand in hand. So I see this as a possible tool to whatever religion is pushing this new translated gospel.

Are you familiar with the introduction of Catholicism into the new world? They enetered what is now New Mexico and forced their beliefs on the native Pueblos. The Pueblo people were open to this possibility but still wanted to maintain there own religion. Not good enough. What resulted was violence and 47 tribe leaders arrested along with some who were dragged to there death in front of there people for suppsoedly practicing "witchcraft". That doesnt sound so Christian...but that is a fact.

video.pbs.org...

Things like this I know can be accredited to different translators but you have to accept that over time...this book regarded as THE BOOK may have been edited/changed by MANY different people or organizations over time....for their own good.

edit on 14-10-2010 by DrewD2 because: re-inserted video link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join