It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anywhere From 3g to 39 Tubes of Toothpaste Could Kill a 63kg Human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
.243% of my 8.4 oz. tube of toothpaste consists of sodium fluoride. That comes out to 2.43mg/g of toothpaste or 581.74mg/tube. Based on wide range of LD50's on this Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for sodium fluoride anywhere from 3g to 39 tubes of this toothpaste could kill a 63kg human. While I doubt the lethal dose resides at either of those extremes, there IS a lethal dose for the active ingredient in a product that many people use daily. Sodium Fluoride is a corrosive chemical that can affect many organs in the body even if is not swallowed. Check out the MSDS. I'm sure you'll be surprised at the toxicity of a product you probably use daily. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

What would you recommend instead of toothpaste?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Its states right on the back dont swallow more then u use for brushing and in case of accidental overdose contact a poison contol center right away.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by o22a6ar
.243% of my 8.4 oz. tube of toothpaste consists of sodium fluoride. That comes out to 2.43mg/g of toothpaste or 581.74mg/tube. Based on wide range of LD50's on this Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for sodium fluoride anywhere from 3g to 39 tubes of this toothpaste could kill a 63kg human. While I doubt the lethal dose resides at either of those extremes, there IS a lethal dose for the active ingredient in a product that many people use daily. Sodium Fluoride is a corrosive chemical that can affect many organs in the body even if is not swallowed. Check out the MSDS. I'm sure you'll be surprised at the toxicity of a product you probably use daily. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

I know where you are going with this. But who in their right mind would consume a that amount of toothpaste?

Toothpaste is not meant to be swallowed and says so on the tube. I stopped using it years ago. So to answer your question jhill76, I use straight baking soda to brush my teeth. I actually like it better.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

Yeah, one time I was (not thinking right) and I brushed my teeth for fifteen minutes, and I developed a severe headache, which is not impressive to other people but I swear I never get headaches, except involving drunkenness and vomiting, which does not apply in this instance. Shortly thereafter I read about fluoride as a neurotoxin, which caused me to ascribe the headache to ingesting more toothpaste during the long backwash, maybe, and anyway to quit using toothpaste. But I live in an ignorant backward area, where they have begun to fluoridate the water since I've been here. There's always bottled water, but I expect some would get absorbed through the skin while bathing/showering, right? Oh,well, just some more death-on-a-stick as I pick my way through the menu of hazards on offer.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

What would I recommend?

How about chocolate? Not chocolate candy, but an alkaloid contained in the Cacao bean called theobromine. Research has shown the effectiveness of theobromine in hardening tooth enamel can supersede that of fluoride (Source) .

Why not baking soda?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

You drink tap water right?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TARBOX

When you brush your teeth with sodium fluoride toothpaste some of the sodium fluoride is absorbed sublingually (through mucous membranes in the mouth). Depending on how long it takes for the human body to excrete, or metabolize the sodium fluoride, toxic levels could build up over time, and cause damage to organs, tissues, etc.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Please don't think that I am disagreeing with you here because what you say is true. But it would take a lot of brushing like nine-eyed-eel said he did.

The average person brushes their teeth for 2 to 2.5 minutes. Most people brush less than that. Severe damage and poisoning would only occur if the sodium fluoride was swallowed....and a lot of it at one time, or keeping it in your mouth for an extended period of time.

I'm not trying to discredit your post or topic at all. I for one...like I said, stopped using toothpaste years ago.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Salvadora Persica is what I use.

I put it in my pocket and whenever I feel like brushing my teeth I just use it.

and here is a picture of it

www.naturallygreen.co.uk...

it cleans you're teeth more sufficient than toothpaste, natural and harmless.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Ahhh... Fluoride is a insidious poison..

I have a thread called who is off Fluoride.. check it out,

~L

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Lantian]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chongun
Salvadora Persica is what I use.

I put it in my pocket and whenever I feel like brushing my teeth I just use it.

and here is a picture of it

www.naturallygreen.co.uk...

it cleans you're teeth more sufficient than toothpaste, natural and harmless.

I've seen that before, I'm not sure where, I think arabs use it?

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 04:42 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join