It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Lake States Unite!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Seriously, I think it's a great idea. We have the fresh water and our backs to Canada. People are trying to siphon off water now.
We also share some cultural bond too.
Plus we get a bunch of good old cities if we do.
What do you think? A Great Lakes Consortium? Union? Territory? We draw up a Constitution and maintain a special relationship with the Federal Government, but take-over management of more local affairs.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29/5/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have been thinking very seriously about the evolution of our US government back to a more confederation of states. I like your thinking about a multi state union. You state a legitimate reason for a strategic alliance which is of course: WATER, an ever growing power and economic resource. Along with water we have the lake which is itself a valuable passageway for transportation. We also have timber, and iron ore/coal industries.

Yes we could probably make it work, with an army of Michigan Militia types training the rest of our defense force.

But where do we draw the line? Use current state boarders? Would our coalition be forced to maintain border down in the south of Illinois and Ohio? Or would we be more of a lakes border type agency?

Either way these are discussions which I relish and believe there should be much more of. When our current government wavers from the principals it was founded upon (IT HAS) then it is our DUTY to shed the bonds of the old and create a new government as STATED in the US declaration of independence.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

NW PA here and I'm with you guys. There is a possible problem with splitting up into "Territorries" as I do recall seeing some sort of grand scheme laid out to do just that... which splits the US into more of a "Kingdom-like" nation, with 'rulers' appointed to each territory. Duke Dick, perhaps?

And in regards to...

When our current government wavers from the principals it was founded upon (IT HAS) then it is our DUTY to shed the bonds of the old and create a new government as STATED in the US declaration of independence.

I think what you may be referring to (and a bit more) can be found here.

[edit on 5/30/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yes, thank you!! I don't pretend to know what to do, but I think a Federal downsizing will be needed and regions should be and will have to be a little more independent when it comes to the details. If something like this came to a vote, I would vote in favor, even if it wasn't perfect. Governments can be changed for the good, and that doesn't always mean an increase in centralized power.

I guess the borders would be states with Lakeshores. I do entertain the idea that there should be State Militas. I would feel more comfortable, and I don't think it would really create that many beauracratic obstacles. There is a shared Great Lakes sort of worldview. I think we should look into this carefully.

There is a current debate about Lakeshore property owner rights and remote transport of Lake Waters. A Constitutional amendment has been proposed about this and it could be the first step to a Great Lakes Consortium or whatever. As water supplies dwindle and populations expand there are thirsty eyes on our water!!
Please. More thoughts?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by djerwulfe

Are you guys crypto-Canadians? If Canada and the new United Great Lakes States of Water Conservation ever combined, people in California are going to be awfully thirsty.

Aren't we (the US and Canada) already exporting millions of gallons of fresh water every year to the Atlantic Ocean? Isn't there a way of getting some of that into the US southwest without wrecking the Great Lakes eco-system? There's gotta be.

How about a dam across the mouth of the St. Lawrence river and a canal system to transport that runoff south? As a Canadian it would seem to me like the neighborly thing to do.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
But, to be simple, if the Californians aren't thirsty, doesn't that mean we will be as Great Lakes people?

Why do we owe everybody else? We settled here. We didn't rush out to Cali for get-rich-quick crap. I've been on the same piece of property for 205 years, only leaving once from 1812-1814. Well, not me, but my kin.

Ever heard of the ant and the grasshopper story? Goes like this: You don't plan ahead. I do. Then I owe you when times are tough.(?) wtf?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Also, what do you mean "exporting" water to the Atlantic? Your tune may change in the future. We have quite a few people along the lakeshores. More than you. Why don't we just go naked and flay ourselves then, Jesus?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have to start a new thread.
Senate joins the House in passing the Great Lake States Compact.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Check it out!! It is a lttle scary.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I apologize fro being a jerk in a couple posts. But it gets to you. I've been involved in Great Lakes research and I know all-too-well how bad the water situation might get. It freaks me out. And many people haven't a clue. Thousand out there minding what they belive is their own business oblviou to the fact that every bite they take is strangling someone's grandchild.

new topics

top topics

join