It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Say Stonehenge Was a Family Burial Ground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I was searching Google news and I came across an interesting article. I did a search here and didn't find a similar thread. Perhaps I entered the wrong search terms, I dunno. Forgive me if this has been posted already.

Researchers Say Stonehenge Was a Family Burial Ground

The secret of Stonehenge has apparently been solved: The mysterious circle of large stones in southern England was primarily a burial ground for almost five centuries, and the site probably holds the remains of a family that long ruled the area, new research concludes.

Source

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This would make sense as most large constructions required an elite to direct and motivate the work.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I read some of the article on MSN when I had a break at work today. I was amazed at the amount of advances done in the field of Archaeology over the past few years.
Maybe one day all of the mysteries will be explained.
NOt sure if that's a great thing or not though.
I would have expected more replies to this... guess it's because there's no aliens involved...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Additional article:

Stonehenge Used as Cemetery From the Beginning

At least part of the mystery of Stonehenge may have now been solved: It was from the beginning a monument to the dead.

New radiocarbon dates from human cremation burials among and around the brooding stones on Salisbury Plain in England indicate that the site was used as a cemetery from 3000 B.C. until after the monuments were erected around 2500 B.C., British archaeologists reported Thursday.

Source

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Reality and science are always a poor second to the excitement of fiction - especially if you mix in aliens and conspiracy!

Sad

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Stonehenge is facinating. I thought they found a city there. I haven't watched the show on Nat Geo yet. My husband said it was like a seasonal camp. Much like our circus' or festivals. I looked for links but didn't find much. I hadn't heard it was a burial grounds.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I finally got to watch the show. There was a wood replica of Stonehenge that supposedly represented life, and the stone version was for the ancestors. They made it sound like the Ancient Britons liked to party.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Has anyone looked at the new May National Geographic? It has a large article on recent archaelogical studies of Stone Henge. I haven't read it yet, but the pictures look really nice.

top topics

join