It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coolest bomber ever made.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sorry maybe people dont want to see this in this thread but i have to just awe at the sight of it still.

www2.interceptor.com...
www2.interceptor.com...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
You won't get any argument out of me, I think she's one of the sexiest birds ever built. It's a shame they aren't still flying today!

Visiting the only surviving XB70, on display in Dayton OH, is on my list of things to do this year or next year.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I am a bigger fan of the vulcan

homepage.ntlworld.com...

www.dailyaviator.com...

img.dailymail.co.uk...

upload.wikimedia.org...

Cool stuff

B70 however is cool in a concord way!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The first picture I was unsure of how big is was...but the second picture...Holy Cow! I didn't realize how big this thing actually was

I got these statistics...

Span: 105 ft.
Length: 185 ft. 10 in. without boom; 192 ft. 2 in. with boom
Height: 30 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 534,700 lbs. loaded
Engines: Six General Electric YJ-93s of 30,000 lbs. thrust each with afterburner.
Maximum speed: 2,056 mph. (Mach 3.1) at 73,000 ft.
Cruising speed: 2,000 mph. (Mach 3.0) at 72,000 ft.
Range: 4,288 miles
Service Ceiling: 77,350 ft.

Does anyone know why they stopped using them?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The u2 was shotdown by a surface to air(sam) missile.They cancelled it there after figuring there was no need for a bomber since u cant outrun whats faster and can hit u just up as high.The invention of the mig25 prolly didnt help much either.I think it cost to much as well to maintain,build,fly etc.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by alienstar]

[edit on 29-5-2008 by alienstar]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I see. Thanks for that information. I am not so much a Military plane person as much as I am into the small personal aircraft.

But still, the pictures you posted were very cool!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When you saw this plane for the first time, it did take your breath away. Even the name, Valkyrie, conjured up in the mind a glorious, heroic ride in the skies. The XB-70 stood in stark contrast to the B52, the mighty but standard looking workhorse of the skies at the time.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Oh yes, the XB-70. What a monsterous aircraft. I saw it a couple years back in Dayton-literally hovered over everything in the hangar. I can not believe something that big could travel at 2000 mph. Unbelievable.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Too bad the XB-70 isnt in service.

But here is the coolest bomber in todays service: The TU-160!!!

i214.photobucket.com...

The darn thing is so cool that even Putin flies with it!:

i214.photobucket.com...

Cheers folks!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by James R. Hawkwood

But here is the coolest bomber in todays service: The TU-160!!!

We have one just like that! it's called the B-1 the older first Stealth bomber it was originally killed by Carter as a high speed penetrator and was told that would of been useless against Russia's air defense's this is way before it became stealthy then Reagan brought it back as a low slow penetrator with newer Stealth skin material but they never changed the engines nor any of the flight abilities

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
here you go

www.xp-office.de...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyone
You won't get any argument out of me, I think she's one of the sexiest birds ever built. It's a shame they aren't still flying today!

Visiting the only surviving XB70, on display in Dayton OH, is on my list of things to do this year or next year.

To be honest the fact remains is that the XB70 was behind the
" how and why "
the US was able to build the B-1 that was the test bed for the B-1

www.xp-office.de...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
We already have a large number of threads on the subject of this great plane so I figured I would point some out for great reading and pictures as well. Enjoy!

XB-70 Valkyrie, who remembers?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

XB-70 "Valkyrie Bomber" Pictures

XB 70; the coolest thing the US ever flew.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hands down the XB-70 was one of the best looking planes ever. Esp when using the compression lift feature of its wing tips.

The YF-23 still has top honors in my book however.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I love the tu-160, b-1, xb-70 and the Avro Vulcan, but the Skyraider is the coolest bomber ever made. With just one engine, it could carry more bombs than a b-17 which had four engines.

Skyraider

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I dont get why carter or was it regan?killed off the first b1...wasnt that suppose to be a mach 2 bomber?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
I dont get why carter or was it regan?killed off the first b1...wasnt that suppose to be a mach 2 bomber?

It was proposed in the early and mid 70's as a mach2+ Bomber When Carter came in he killed it and he also Killed the New MX Ballistic nuclear missile the US was in a major recession at the time, He felt we could not afford those projects!

Then Reagan came in and brought both of them back in the early 80's the MX as it was designed.

The B-1 came back but with new stealth skin and a deferent tactical use. Even though the Flight Abilities did not change and the Military only ordered 100 of them which are still active duty.

One could imagine that the military really did not want the B-1 because they probably knew that the B-2 would soon be flying!

MX missile

archive.newsmax.com...

B-1

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 30-5-2008 by SLAYER69]

[edit on 30-5-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
b58 hustler...does anyone know where there was stationed and i know they were med range bombers.?

www.b-58hustler.com...
www.khs.at...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar

The B-1A was envisioned as a Mach 2 high altitude bomber. However, in addition to budget cuts the advent of the F-117 and the proliferation of Soviet SAM systems sealed its fate. People do not equate the F-117 with anything that would have killed off the B-1A but it played a huge part.

Reagan as part of campaign rhetoric (to get votes esp in SoCAl) revived the B-1 as the B-1B which had its engine pods stealhed to a degree and was intened to be a low altitude penatrator.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
The B-1 came back but with new stealth skin and a deferent tactical use. Even though the Flight Abilities did not change and the Military only ordered 100 of them which are still active duty.

The flight capabilities of the B-1 changed significantly when it became the B-1B and entered service - the variable geometry engine intakes were switched for fixed geometry intakes, which had the effect of limited the maximum speed of the aircraft.

top topics

join