It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chopper Catches Glimpse of Lost World

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It is clear that this tribe should be left to their own devices. Any problems they have in their community are, at least, of their own making - let us not impart "our" problems onto them or adopt the moral high-ground of assuming that we can "educate" them.

Our modern gimmickry and technological diversions from "real life" are nothing when compared to the the marvels of the world that these people are cognitive of. I don't mean anything "shamanistic", merely, that they can view the natural world as something that they are in harmony with. The longevity of their race in such circumstances illustrates this.

The modern world will destroy these people. Let us leave it at a "fly-by" with a helicopter, at least something they can marvel at as a strange hovering giant bird - but at least it hasn't given them plastic carrier bags and slogan T-Shirts.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
KINOFTHEFIRSTSTARS
I agree with most of your post to a certain extent. We (neo-westerners) have developed things the surface hasnt seen in a very long time( sub- atomic non-sense, flight, etc.), but, reflect on these facts. "No idea is original/ there is nothing new under the sun/ its never what you do/ but how its done/"
Most of your post define our development by material objects that the previous "westerners" didnt need to accomplish these so called "great feats".
Just look in Central America . At one of their sites,the architecture accounts for 9 celestial bodies(only about 5 can be observed at the right time with the naked eye). Im might not be accurate with this bit to follow, but if im not mistaken, I believe Pluto was discovered 1918 or something like that, "With the great telescope, man has never known these objects to exist".Those pyramids and structures are far, far older than the telescope for starters. You guys should come to the realization, they didnt need this "modern" junk to accomplish the same great things. The Distance to the sun, or our true 13-14 solar system, Pi, Maps of the according to the magnetic poles(upside down), true north and south milleniums before a compass, monoatomic gold in Africa, I could ramble for hours.....
That ancient 2012 calender is a computer(you input the right kind of data and the output/data is received by the device. Meaning you can or the device(calendar)can caculate, with the right data applied, other previous alignments, and cycles or possible events pass 2012????.YES AND THEY USED QUARTZ IN THEIR COMPUTERS TOO, FUNNY.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is such a cool story. Imagine...a society that hasn't been introduced to our diseases and wars. I hope that they are allowed to continue their way of life and simply be left alone.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
haha you all make me laugh ur minds are as primitive as those newly found tribes lol. the only motives for changing them would be for ..duh...oil..sigh, clearly they got nothing to offer. medical care, nutrition, human rights, hey they could be like the new guinea tribes where their initiation requires young boys to do it with the elders,... all those things matter and guess what once u give them a pill or a flu shot they are hooked, its all changed not so much as turning into rappers of course, but they would accept the fact that they got no weird animal gods or that no witch lives by the mountain. heck they would still remain loyal to their culture but just eliminate parts of it that is inhumane. u guys are so hypocritical u want to change middle east or Afghanistan into accepting womens rights and no veil yet here u give no crap because apparently its so exciting studying an untouched culture; like treating them like retards. or that bubble boy movie, or truman show. what are u guys afraid of there alot of tribes around the world that receive care and attention from us and yet are attuned only to their inherited culture. plus what r u guys afraid of anyway, that they are gonna end up liking sex and the city, and get a free $100 laptop, or get actual education. oh wait no they might get unhappy with all this modern day worries we suffer from. as if we suffer from any actual worries oh please.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight. heck they would still remain loyal to their culture but just eliminate parts of it that is inhumane. [edit on 1-6-2008 by DuneKnight]

Explain for those of us that are ignorant, which parts are inhuman? Please answer this DIRECT QUESTION and share your insight.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriosityStrikes
Just as everyone else so far I think this is amazing. I wonder what they think of the helicopter, must be a strange sight, they might have seen planes before though as they fly pretty high.

I bet they call planes "Flying Serpents"!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
haha you all make me laugh ur minds are as primitive as those newly found tribes lol. the only motives for changing them would be for ..duh...oil..sigh, clearly they got nothing to offer.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by DuneKnight]

Wow you are an idiot.

You must have no idea about the medicines we learn from indigenous tribes. Actually Indigenous tribes provide a ton of valuable information to sociologists, botanists, and pharmacologists, not to mention psychologists.

Actually though, they only have these things to offer to thinking humans who can see further than conspiracies which surround oil.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube
It is clear that this tribe should be left to their own devices. Any problems they have in their community are, at least, of their own making - let us not impart "our" problems onto them or adopt the moral high-ground of assuming that we can "educate" them.

Our modern gimmickry and technological diversions from "real life" are nothing when compared to the the marvels of the world that these people are cognitive of. I don't mean anything "shamanistic", merely, that they can view the natural world as something that they are in harmony with. The longevity of their race in such circumstances illustrates this.

I agree with your sentiment, however, to believe they live "in-harmony" is a fallacy.

I recommend reading "Killing the white mans Indian" which goes on to show how all of this eco culture we project on indigenous tribes is actually wrong. Many of the previous primitive and not-so primitive societies wiped themselves out by over consuming or slashing and burning.

Humans do the same silly things no matter how civilized they are.

And that is probably the biggest take away from this post. No matter how civilized we are, we just continue the same old short-sighted behaviors and beliefs.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

"ut they would accept the fact that they got no weird animal gods or that no witch lives by the mountain."

So which religion is the correct one?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Beelzebubba

It may not be about bashing western institutions for you, but it is with many people on this board. Its what happens when populist propaganda controls the hive mind.

Your creating a false dichotomy that either they be left alone or the "west" comes in and destroys their culture. These are not the only options available. Perhaps all of the cultural relativists on here are incapable of communicating with someone without destroying who they are, but I for one am perfectly capable of communication without forcing my ideology on people.

Also, claiming that "alcoholism, drug abuse, violence, are all endemic in these societies today" is inferring that somehow the West is responsible for these problems. Its a post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy. Every society has endemic social problems - regardless of its status or point in time. There is no reason to believe these societies would not have these problems or different wide-spread problems if the "west" never intervened, nor is there evidence that these problems did not exist in the first place (violence is a problem in ALL societies, its what happens when people live together, it doesn't magically occur when the "west" arrives). That these cultures blame modernism does not make it true, its simply characteristic of the desire to blame our problems on everyone except ourselves.

The cultural relativist brigade here is amazing. Its the same "all things not western are Eden and we would be eeevvilll for even communicating with them" that has been disproved over and over, but the relativists hold on dearly to it none the less.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

You basically said what I did, but I must admit, you said it in a much more eloquent and descriptive manner.

Thanks for the contribution! Starred!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Leaving them alone would be a good idea. I wouldn't want anyone coming into my house changing everything around. History proves that notion doesn't entirely work out well.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Couldnt anyone just paint themselves red, build a few huts, get a few bows and arrows and then have their aerial pic taken.

What evidence is there that this is actually some lost tribe and not just a bunch of bored people trying to fool people? Unless someone independent actually goes there and corroborates it, it is highly unlikely this is anything except a prank.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Your take on the story is a little off. If you would read the books behind the movie I think you would understand what happened in that situation a little more. The Huaorani tribe killed the five missionaries that were there to "convert" them. Some time later, the Huaorani came out of the jungle and made contact with other tribes. They were not forced to do anything. They changed their own way of life. Was it for the better? Only the Huaorani can say that.

To all:

I studied Anthropology in college. That is what I got my degree in. I am, by no means, an expert in this area. However, I spent many years studying tribes and cultures from around the world. I was able to do that mostly through other Anthropologists who where lucky enough to get to live with a tribe and study them. Studying a tribe does NOT have to mean destroying their way of life. Sadly, it CAN mean that. There is nothing wrong with an exchange of ideas between cultures. Some have said we need to "rescue" them and that is the wrong way to approach this. They do not need to be rescued. But just like biologists who study whales or dolphins ( I am not comparing this tribe to animals that we study. Just an example), it would be really cool to get a chance to learn about this tribe we see in the photos. What is important to them? What are there beliefs? What are the male and female roles? why? etc....

I guess what I am saying is there is a right way to make contact. Not a contact of rescue but one of wanting to learn about them.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The BraSilian goverment estimate the number of uncontacted tribes around 28. They all have their own territory and its against the law for white folks to invade their lands.

There will only be contact if there is some interest in studying their habits, even so with great care not influence the unique culture and way of life.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
To all the people who believe these people should be left alone.

Who cares if they are contacted or not? They are just a small group of people in a world full of others. Everyone continues to fail to see the big picture. The only reason to leave them alone is for the comfort of yourselves. If the land they are on is valuable, then take it from them and force them to join our society. Its time to stop being so stupidly unselfish and only think of ourselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I wish they could have stayed undiscovered.
Now they will have to constantly try and keep their old ways pure from the corrupt world that will try and "teach" them when really they could teach a LOT more to us than we could ever teach to them.
They are now doomed to corruption as the world will cast its ugly shadow among them.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

I agree with your sentiment, however, to believe they live "in-harmony" is a fallacy.

Many of the previous primitive and not-so primitive societies wiped themselves out by over consuming or slashing and burning.

Humans do the same silly things no matter how civilized they are.

Yup they are finding that the Olmecs who

" Strangely disappeared actually polluted themselves right out of a home"

then slowly they rebuilt themselves when the area recovered and started over this happened a few times for example yes I know it's a movie but look at Mels Movie appocolypso besides the story the background setting shows them as overpopulated and corrupted for power

The mass sacrifices were shown for two reasons

1. how they prayed to their god to get crop production back up! " it was failing "

2. to do some " population control " resources were running thin with so many people to feed their crops were failing

think about it

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Looks real to me. Why is one guy dark black and the other two look tan? They have bow and arrows so they must have been contacted before by someone, but it could have been a long time ago that happened. Lets give them a reality show!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

I wish people would read previous posts...

The idea of showing the photos was to show that they really exist so that area can be protected from outside interference.

There are many small tribes like this one that have been contacted and that still live as they did before, but they now can get outside help whenever they need.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join