It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican says will excommunicate women priests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Vatican says will excommunicate women priests

www.reuters.com

The Vatican issued its most explicit decree so far against the ordination of women priests on Thursday, punishing them and the bishops who try to ordain them with automatic excommunication.

The decree was written by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and published in the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, giving it immediate effect.

A Vatican spokesman said the decree made the Church's existing ban on women priests more explicit by clarifying that excommunication would follow all such ordinations.

Excommunication forbids those affected from receiving the sacraments or sharing in acts of public worship.

Rev. Tom Reese, a senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University, said he thought the decree was meant to send a warning to the growing number of Catholics who favor admitting women to the priesthood.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Just when I thought the vatican was entering the modern age, they come out with draconian measures for any bishop who tries to ordain a woman.

There are of course 2 sides to this - RCC members know the rules, and know that women are not allowed to be priests.

But from a morality and equality point of view, it stinks.

IMO women would make good priests - why shouldn't they?
Maybe better priests than men - women may have qualities for the job that men don't.

Even the church of england gave women the right to become members of the clergy.

The RCC needs to get with the programme - it's the 21st century.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

The RCC needs to get with the programme - it's the 21st century.

Well, I agree that the RC should allow women to become priests, but as you said, it's church law that only men can be priests. Kinda simple to follow.

Hmmmm...I think there are other religions that should be trying to get engaged with the 21st Century more than the Roman Catholic church.

I mean, we haven't burned anyone at the stake in years.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

You're right - but those other religions don't concern me as much.

I'm an ex-catholic, and pronouncements like this are one of the reasons why.

The priesthood shouldn't be about male and female, it should be about humanity.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Does this apply to female aliens as well?

But of course, I'm putting the horse before the cart since we have to decide if there are aliens who want to become priests.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Interesting point considering recent news, but doesn't really address the subject of the thread.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm less concerned with this issue, or the right of the Church to excommunicate, than the absence of this action being taken against child-molesting priests.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
But, but, the Almighty god TOLD us that women aren't people. They don't have souls... how can they think enough to be a priest? They're material objects to be traded... yada yada yada.

This religious stuff is hilarious.
Just how archaic can the Christian religions get? Or any of them for that matter.

How much longer can religion manage to scratch and claw? Not long I think...
The human race progresses, whether religion likes it or not.

No, I don't think that way of women, that was sarcasm.

Whats next though? Shall we revoke the rights of anyone who isn't white? Are they once again to be called "savages"?

Oooh, how about we re-declare the earth to be the center of the universe, and ban NASA from launching shuttles because they would re-prove themselves.
Then we can sit back and wonder why our cellphones and satellite TV slowly stopped working...

There HAS to be a comedy club somewhere based entirely on religious jokes.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here we go. Listen up kiddos ….

- Those women were NOT priests. To say that the Vatican excommunicated women priests is wrong. They were never viably ordained. They were not priests.

- The Catholic Church has the right to run itself any way it wishes. If those in charge have interpreted scripture to say that only men are to be priests, then that’s their right to do so.

- If people don’t like it, they know where the door is. If everyone leaves and the church dies .. so be it.

- The Catholic Church is not the Church of England or any other church. What they do doesn’t matter. The Catholic Church doesn’t have to water down it’s theology just to make others happy.

- There are rules and there are disciplines within the church. Disciplines (like married priests) are based upon scripture and tradition not directly from Christ. and so can change. However, rules (such as only men can be priests) are from Christ Himself and can not change. There will NEVER be women priests in the Catholic Church because there were no women at the last supper when Christ instituted the priesthood. This has been interpreted as a rule from Christ. Men for the priesthood. This RULE can not change.

On women in the priesthood

early church – women and the priesthood

On the priesthood

More on priests and deacons

I'm an ex-catholic,

AHA!!! That explains it!!!! You ex-catholics … you all are alike.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well, like I said FF - the RCC side is that everyone knows the rules.

My point is that women SHOULD be allowed to be priests.

Can you give me a good moral or ethical reason not to allow it?
RCC rules aside of course.

I think it's an outmoded and even archaic way of thinking - the pope could quite easily push it through if he so desired, even if the RCC says he cannot.

[edit on 29/5/2008 by budski]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Can you give me a good moral or ethical reason not to allow it?

Read the links I provided. The interpretation is that Christ didn't want women priests. There were no women ordained at the last supper when He first instituted the priesthood. If you think that's immoral or unethical then take it up with Christ. He provided the guidelines.

the pope could quite easily push it through if he so desired, even if the RCC says he cannot.

Actually he can't. The pope can not proclaim something that goes against the Catholic Magesterium. No pope will ever be able to viably ordain women priests. Never.

This is the Catholic way of doing things and the Catholic interpretation. If people don't like it .. they can leave. The Episcopals or the Lutherans are right around the corner or down the road.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This does not really apply to the Catholic Church since we do not have female priests and we cannot tell other Christian faiths to do the same
it's a MUTE point!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I would agree that the Vatican has the right to prohibit women from becoming priests if this is based on their biblical interpretations...I probably wouldn't give it second thought if it were not such a powerful and influential religious organization...My contempt for the Vatican is due to their insistent attempts at meddling in global and political affairs.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Interesting how the RCC does not mention that Christ first revealed the miracle of his resurrection to Mary Magdelane and then instructed her to spread the word of his divinity to the others. The women who surrounded Christ's circle always remained true and steadfast, while the apostles reacted with jealousy, doubt and betrayal. Hardly the material necessary to act as priests. Christ, in having revealed himself in spiritual form to a woman and instructing her to spread the word, was itself an ordination of Mary into his priesthood. And as such, the RCC is going against the will of Christ/God by banning women from the priesthood.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
the real reason they dont want women priests is the same reason they dont allow male priests to have sex..there scared of women priests having children and then they will have the problem of housing a family ...it all boils down to money....

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If a Bishop finds it appropriate to Ordain a female as a Priest,
then he negates his standing in the RCC.

Any candidate for the priesthood goes through years of training at a Seminary...
Ihave not heard of any mainstream RCC seminaries allowing
females to enter the full course of study....

so a maverick Bishop would be sidestepping the normal, accepted, minimum entrance requirements for Ordination - thereby making all previous and current Priests and candidates for priesthood, merely assembly line products.

females have many positions that can 'Augment' the priest in his duties to the flock.

but, in the RCC, which is a little different from Christianity because the RCC is an 'Apostolic' church...
ergo, females are excluded from performing the rite of changing the 'bread and wine'- into - 'the body and blood' of Christ...
as the RCC faith believes the priest does at the Mass celebration.

nuff said.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The idea that Christ did not ordain women is hotly debated among real scholars (not Catholics). Christ appeared first to WOMEN. Christ taught WOMEN. He admonished his "Apostles" to not interfere with the learning of WOMEN. He said that there is neither male nor female in the Body of Christ. So, those who set that separation are committing a blasphemy.

The Gospel is not as it was originally written, and misogynists like Augustine had way too much influence on the base doctrines of Catholicism to take anything on the role of women in Christ's Church seriously from them.

Of course, I'm highly biased against Catholicism since I consider it Satan's instrument on earth for the corruption of the Word of God. It has been very effective at keeping God from people - as has all organized religion. (Well, maybe not the Quakers, despite their having produced Nixon.)

I pray every day for those deceived by organized religion's lies.

I realize some may find this offensive, but, it is the conclusions I have come to after many years of reading, thinking, and study.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Why the fuss about whether or not the Catholic Church prohibits women priests?

If you don't like how the Catholic Church is run, then don't be Catholic. If you aren't Catholic, why complain, its not your church. Join a church that ordains women priests or anything else you believe in and leave people of different faiths alone.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
[teapotatheism.blogspot.com...]

Remember the super-secret club that Calvin and Hobbes were the sole and supreme members of back when that strip still ran? It was called "GROSS: Get Rid Of Slimy GirlS." It was a light-hearted take on the fact that all children take themselves way too seriously.

But also apparently the Vatican thought it would be a great idea.

The Vatican has announced that they hate women so much, that they think that women are so stupid, morally decadent, and intellectually inferior to men that anyone who is caught trying to 'ordain' a woman will be 'excommunicated' (ordination is the magical Catholic initiation rite wherein you gain the superpower of imbuing crackers with the physical manifestation of Jesus, and yes, the Vatican does teach that you must believe this in order to be a Catholic).

Oh, the Vatican. No matter how obvious it becomes that they are out of touch with the 21st (or the 20th, 19th, 18th, or 17th) century, and with the next generation of Catholics who are dramatically indifferent to the hollow bleating of the flat-earthers and the creationists, (see this and this) they remain firmly mired in their commitment to their founding principle: time stopped around 320 AD.

On the other side of this dirty old buffalo nickel, imagine if an American corporation one day declared that anyone caught trying to hire a woman would be fired. Imagine the legal backlash. How would the US government respond? Simple: the company would be sued to within an inch of its life and it would lose every single customer it ever had. But the Catholic Church is exempt: you see they're a religion, so the government has to defer to them by way of the de facto subsidy that is exempting them from neutral principles of law (taxation, the 14th amendment, etc).

In other, hilariously coincidental news, a Catholic priest is under fire for violating his tax-exempt status by making negative commentary about a (female) presidential candidate (that appears to have something to do with the candidate's gender).

But I guess that when you're the organization that is also known for being against health, medicine, equality, science, and progress, really, what's one more brick in the wall?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodNewsAtheism
But I guess that when you're the organization that is also known for being against health, medicine, equality, science, and progress, really, what's one more brick in the wall?

Can you give examples of how the Catholic Church suppressed the big bang theory, seismology, the institution of hospitals and the creation of the university in western Europe?

Does a church that includes members like Roger Joseph Boscovich, Louis Pasteur and Athanasius Kircher for example sound like an organization that stands in the way of human progress?

Funny how the 2 religious groups people love to hate , Catholics and Muslims, have also contributed a great deal to modern civilization.

These threads about other people's religions always bring out the ignorance and bigotry of the unlearned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join