It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people against gay marriage?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It is my opinion that the militant in your face displays of homosexuality in the streets will do more harm to the cause of gay marriage and I hope they keep it up.

One day their extremism may have them facing very extreme militants on the other side of the issue. I will laugh if it happens and they wonder "why us" as the some of the freaks lay wounded or dead in the street.

This is not normal or acceptable and the people in this video need to be rounded up and sent to the gulag or worse...
Video Link

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexed

I can't say that that scene depicted in your link is my cup o' tea either, but pretty strong language you used to deal with the behavior. Still, we can talk about it, disagree civilly. I think a lot of what people focus on is exactly that -- extremes, but in the process of that, others get scooped up in the judgement. Myself, I can't judge. God knows, I'm far from perfect, and have to use this as one of my yardstick: Are my actions hurting others? I think you could argue that "extreme" behaviors might damage the fabric of society -- I can't make that call. What we see in the video is people attending a specific event and everyone is equally free to not attend it. Now, there are places for me that cross the line, and I have my lines too. I run into conflict where racial-supression groups gather to preach their dogma. One one hand, I believe in their right to express themselves......... on the other, I fantasize about doing them violence, just as they preach their own brand of violence. Do I want a group of overt Satanists gathering in my neighborhood? Nope, honestly, nope. Other things. BTW, this is in no means meant to compare the situations I just outlined with the video that you linked. It's just a discussion of our personal lines and tolerances.

Cheers

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Have you ever considered the militant in your face nature of heterosexuality. It's all over the media, it's just socially acceptable. Once again, sexuality is not a choice. You have yet to provide an objective answer to the question. It's because there is no reason to take away the rights of homosexuals, that isn't based in prejudice and an inability to accept that which is different. There's nothing damaging, it's just different. As was mentioned earlier, we should celebrate our differences, not oppress each other because of them.

By saying these people shouldn't poke fun at religion, you're violating their freedom of speech. It is the same as artists who are threatened for their portrayal of Mohammed. Violence is not a justified course of action, it merely shows ignorance.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pak88
And for you retards that compare Blacks and/or women with the gays of today, you sound plain ignorant...since when was it not natural to be black or a women, and natural to be gay. And when was it natural to make love in pooper? That's just plain sick.

I don't even know where to start with this one. This whole quote, really bothers me.

1.) If "Retard" has become socially acceptable to use, as a means of cutting someone down, I obviously missed that Memo. This is derrogatory and is politically incorrect. Perhaps you can use your very broad vocabulary, and pick another word.

2.) Black, White, Yellow, Green, Pick a Color - All are Human. All are entitled to the same Human Rights. Are you suggesting that if I am homosexual, then I am NOT entitled to the same Human Rights? Because of what I do in MY bedroom? Gays, Lesbians, Blacks, Whites, all can Vote yes? All can drive cars? All can go to school? All can ride the bus? So...why must they be denied the right to "marry".

*I use that term loosely, as I understand that some people have issues with the word "marriage". I don't have a problem with the word marriage, but if it bothers you so much, pick another word. Union works right? Or is that Holy too? And reserved only to be used for Heterosexual couples? I didn't reallize that happiness was limited to Heterosexual Couples...*

3.) Does the Position in which I prefer Sex, have ANYTHING to do with you? Does the room in which I have sex, have ANYTHING to do with you? Is NO the collective answer? What about if I had a bondage Fetish? Is that ANY of your business? NO! Then what the heck does it matter to you, how Gay Men have sex? Last I checked, how other people have sex, is really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

The topic of whether or not Being Gay, or Lesbian, was "Natural" is subjective. Just becuase YOU don't believe its natural, doesn't mean it isn't. It just means you Believe it isn't...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonfire2159

Have you ever considered the militant in your face nature of heterosexuality. It's all over the media, it's just socially acceptable. Once again, sexuality is not a choice. You have yet to provide an objective answer to the question. It's because there is no reason to take away the rights of homosexuals, that isn't based in prejudice and an inability to accept that which is different. There's nothing damaging, it's just different. As was mentioned earlier, we should celebrate our differences, not oppress each other because of them.

By saying these people shouldn't poke fun at religion, you're violating their freedom of speech. It is the same as artists who are threatened for their portrayal of Mohammed. Violence is not a justified course of action, it merely shows ignorance.

Do you see militant in your face heterosexuality like this in America? I am not oppressing anything. If they want to do that crap behind closed doors more power to them.

You say sexuality is not a choice. Fine I can meet you there but does not having a choice justify this kind of crap? You are saying they are justified in putting on the "hunky Jesus" bit because they don't have a choice about their sexuality? Fine... Then I don't have a problem with this as longs as you don't have a problem with someone getting fed up and sniping a few of them...

Celebrate our differences? What, is this code for STFU if you don't like it? I see nothing to celebate here.

Here is what they need to do with those kinds of events... Take them back to the bath houses. Let’s rename AIDS back to GRID while we are at it... The band played on but these queers don't know how to read....

Oh, and btw... By you saying I don't have a right to object to their sick display you are taking away my right to freedom of expression.

I do agree with the gay community on one issue. The government shouldn't be involved. Lets get them all they way out of it. Let the hetrosexual militants and homosexual militants sort it out....

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
It is my opinion that the militant in your face displays of homosexuality in the streets will do more harm to the cause of gay marriage and I hope they keep it up.

One day their extremism may have them facing very extreme militants on the other side of the issue. I will laugh if it happens and they wonder "why us" as the some of the freaks lay wounded or dead in the street.

This is not normal or acceptable and the people in this video need to be rounded up and sent to the gulag or worse...
Video Link

So ... uhm ... you're thinking that us gays aren't facing extremism or militant behavior by people? Have you ever been beaten up for hugging someone you love in public? Been threatened in a restaurant for going there with someone you're interested in?

I'm not sure still what so many posters mean by gay people being "in your face" about being gay. As I've said ... we don't tend to be "in your face" as a whole ... you just notice it more because you consider it to be abnormal ... or different. Chances are you probably know a gay person very well - gasp - they *may* even be in your family! They're probably living their life quietly without being in your face, and you don't notice them. You see extremes - not the norms.

And honestly, I've been reading a good many of your posts - and you sound intelligent. But don't make the unintelligent mistake of lumping all gay people together with drag queens, transvestites, club kids and drug addicts. That's a *very* small sampling of gay society, and truth be told, most of us are just as annoyed with them as you are. "Just Jack" on Will & Grace? We roll our eyes at him and get annoyed just like you do. Trust me.

When I think of straight people, I don't think immediately of President Bush, Billy Graham or Paris Hilton. All of those examples of "straight behavior" could be considered abhorrent by their own right ... but I don't group *you* with them. Extend me the same courtesy.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I am against Gay Marriage, but not a Gay Union. The reasons are quite simple, as Marriage is a sacred institution known amongst all Major Religions of this Earth. In this sacred format, it has been and is always in the form of heterosexual relationships. Sure, Unions have been well known since before any of these religions came into existence. This however does not change the fact that once these Religions came about, the idea of Marriage became a sacred ideal representative of the first mortal union between a Man (Adam), and a Woman (Eve).

I thus believe Marriage to be a sacred term, and one which has recently been trampled upon and played with; to the point of representing all that is wrong with the current lack of Morals in society. Now a Union on the other hand, or legally recognized relationship amongst two individuals who care deeply for eachother, is perfectly alright in my view. I understand that not everyone sees eye-to-eye in terms of who they love or care deeply about, but that does not mean I have to like it, I simply accept it.

So, bottom line, I feel it is perfectly acceptable to recognize a legal Union between two Consenting Individuals, but do not label it as a "Marriage" unless it abides by the definition of such present throughout the World's Major Religions.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 888LetsRoll

people like you make me feel ill, quite literally.. I can't quite tell if you're ignorant as in unknowing, just plain stupid or outright antagonizing?!. there simply is no way for me to describe you.

you think that being gay is a lifestyle and that said lifestyle is a fetish, which I assume you're indicating is not as valuable as your "lifestyle", which involves, as you said, digging gays who kiss (so long as they are female).. some would consider that a fetish in itself, especially given that you make girls who are into other girls want to puke.

I'm a woman who has been in a relationship with another woman for over 8 years now. there's nothing mysterious about our relationship at all. we are two people in love. our relationship is one of loving, nurturing, caring and being there for eachother just as you would expect in an ideal intimate relationship. it's not about sex, being kinky or any of the other kind of ridiculous ideas that I have heard over the years. why should we not be affored the same rights that most other humans are able to take for granted?

you make me sick, 888LetsRoll. for even you, who believes that marriage is a reserved privilage for humans in conditional relationships, you seem to indicate that you have no regard for this so called "sanctity of marriage" with your own 'fetishes'.

I'm angry over all this discussion in recent times about what people think my rights should and should not be whilst they enjoy total freedom to use or abuse the same rights. I'm sick of seeing these self degenerating topics on ATS too, which affords a soapbox for thoughtless rednecks, armchair psychologists and the ignorant. I see them as ludicrous as some would see the rights of heterosexual couples in question. it's unfortunate my rss feed can't filter out these stupid topics. I want to read about ufos, bigfoot and how the soap scum on my bathroom floor is related to the coming of nibiru!.

and I will add in regard to marriage being patented by fanatical christian cultists; for so long as marriage is an institution of law, then politics and peoples 2 cents have no place in saying who and who isn't allowed to marry and how. this is a human rights issue and there really is no debate about it. your god would be ashamed.

ok, I'm done fuming.. I've been needing to reply to one of these for a while. unfortunately this is my first post.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Thank you for going through my points. You're right, you have the right to call them sick. Can we agree though, that just because they are doing something that you might not agree with, that unless an individual is using force for self-defense, that violence is never the answer. I think I was just irritated by your condoning violence, just because these individuals were putting on a contest that you didn't agree with. I don't agree with the KKK and neo-nazis groups, but I'll agree that if they want to peacefully protest something, they have that right. Personally, I find a KKK outfit more offensive than any form of religious mockery, but that's just me. So, can we agree to disagree? You have your opinion, I just don't think you should promote violence against a group of people, especially when they are not using violence.

I also see these public displays as a result of the sexual repression which we have in America. We neglect to teach facts about sex and drugs, so that when children grow up and experiment, they find that they have been fed lies. This causes them to experiment dangerously, instead of having a healthy respect for sex and drugs. We then promote gender roles and sexism through our media, be it sitcoms, reality tv shows, movies, etc. These factors are damaging, and causing the explosions of expression which you find offensive. Just my opinion. I would like to say thank you for replying so much, and providing your insights. Peace out. Have a good weekend.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonfire2159

Thank you for going through my points. You're right, you have the right to call them sick. Can we agree though, that just because they are doing something that you might not agree with, that unless an individual is using force for self-defense, that violence is never the answer. I think I was just irritated by your condoning violence, just because these individuals were putting on a contest that you didn't agree with. I don't agree with the KKK and neo-nazis groups, but I'll agree that if they want to peacefully protest something, they have that right. Personally, I find a KKK outfit more offensive than any form of religious mockery, but that's just me. So, can we agree to disagree? You have your opinion, I just don't think you should promote violence against a group of people, especially when they are not using violence.

Your idea of violence and my idea of violence are two very different things. Where do you think this is leading?

I do believe that kind of display and distructive behavior does lead to violence. Once these "people" see they can no longer get a rise out of the Christians they will go after the Muslim religion for a reaction. When you see Mohomad depictied in association with a buch of Queers you will see your violence. Then the Queers will have even more protections which will include limiting my free speech as they do now across the pond.

Once "they" limit my free speech but enable the Queers to do this kind of crap all bets are off and we will act... Then you will see real retribution not only against the Queers but those that force those laws on us that protect those Queers but limit our right to protest.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytquin
I'll bet the majority of the gay folk here are voting for Clinton as well. Damned liberals!!!

um, no... But I'm only "half" of a disgusting fa***t though, so mabe that's why.
Either way, I'm not voting for Clinton...

Accepting homosexuality will NOT wipe out humanity... Put simply, that's MORONIC... If anything, it will help out with over-population by at least some *small* percentage.

And I don't act like a "tart" either... but then again, I also like girls. Does that make me like a "mullato" or something? I can work in the kitchen, seeing as how I'm slightly less subhuman... or maybe that just makes me more of a sex-crazed pervert?

Believe me, it's a dream of mine to be with one woman for the rest of my life. (personal preference, though I can still see the beatuy/eroticism/*whatever you want to put* in both male and female forms.)

I certainly take no "PRIDE" in anything like sexuality... I think "pride" is more sickening that anything being discussed as it's really just being an elitist jerk... Whether it relates to sex/orentation/race/religion, it's all incredibly stupid and self-centered. I wouldn't have even brought it up if the discussion hadn't lead me to do so... It shouldn't matter, so why would I plaster it everywhere (Unless I were incredibly insecure and/or egotistical-- speaking to both gay and straight people!)

I don't want a d**n thing from anyone other than to not be scared to death that coming out means being treated like a disgusting abomination, and losing the respect of everyone around me because I decided to quit living a lie.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonfire2159

I say let them get married! They have the right to be just as miserable a "straight" people.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Because, "like poles repel, opposite poles attract".

2 lines

[edit on 31-5-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

Hello Raven. I didn't know my avatar came from that novel. I just like the Manticore and used the graphic.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I don't agree with homosexuality but if they want to get married I don't care. Why should I worry about what a couple is doing that lives a thousand miles away or just a mile, it's none of my business. I have my own life to live. And I can't worry about what other people are doing and it doesn't hurt me any. Some people need to just stop sticking their nose into everyone else's business and take care of their own life and family. If you don't like it then don't do it and keep your pie hole shut and mind your own business.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
because "marriage" is a religious ideal, and government has no right to tell anyone that their religion has to submit to anyone else.

Most religions condemn homosexuality.

Now if you wanna change the text and call it a civil union between a man and a man, with all the tax benefits of marriage, fine.

But Marriage is a religious thing. Thats your answer

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Almost 1/3 of my family is gay and lesbian...While I am Hetro I have no problem with the marriage of 2 people that love each other. I trust my children with my relatives and that shall never change. If you are not gay or lesbian...then its you...they are not trying to convert you...they are just trying to live their lives like anyone else.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I have no problems with a gay couple gaining all the benefits of a married couple.

I do have questions about the term "marriage" being used to describe such a union.

I do wonder what Divorce Court or Judge Judy will be like when there are 2 flaming homosexuals arguing with each other. I also will wonder about all the other legalities that will affect married gays when they decide to split. The bright side to all this weird gay marriage stuff is that there will be some hilarious situations in the future.

Two homosexual business partners decide to get married and adopt a child then wind up getting a divorce. I think people will die laughing when seeing the judge's face as he listens to the case.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Dragonfire: You are so sweet and thoughtful as you reply to these many posts. I appreciate your asking for elaboration and striving for real critical thinking and civil debate. I wish I could be as patient as you are with some of the responders, but I'm afraid I cannot be. I used to attempt to tolerate (and even assuage) homophobes, looking at their reactions as rooted for the most part in religious beliefs and feeling they had a right to those beliefs. Now, however, I see their responses for what they really are: manifestations of bigotry, hatred, narrow thinking, and insecurity. Lots of folks just don't want their small little worlds rocked, preferring instead to walk the straightest and simplest line they can find to get them through life. In doing so, they avoid complexity and anything that might rattle or challenge their simplistic world views, most of which go no further than their own egos and their entitled sense of their place in the world. For instance, some posters go on and on about how just the thought of two men kissing or having sex just makes them sick. So what? It's not about them; it's about other people who think and act differently from them, but they cannot (will not) step out of themselves

I have a solution to the gay marriage "question." Let people get married in a church if they want to, but replace marriage certificates with domestic partnership certificates. For everyone. Period. This should go for church united couples as well as those united by justices of the peace.

Oh dear. I could go on and on here, but I'll stop. It's just that I can't believe that this whole question, in this day and age, and with all the scientific research that's been done showing that homosexuality is indeed "natural" (and, for the most part, genetically based), we continue to debate this topic. Do some research, people! Pick up a book other than your bibles. Learn the facts!.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I'll probably get jumped for this, but my personal observation has been that the people around me are against gay marriage because it's become a control issue. They have no control over the people getting married or the outcome of the marriage, so they don't want anyone to be happy.

It's dumb, I know, but that's how it is in my little corner of the universe. I think it's pretty childish and very petty.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join