It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people against gay marriage?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
im sorry, im gay and what i think is that all this fuss with other gays getting married is rather dumb. people are are dying in the world and we all are worried about this subject, we need to all worry how to fix this planet were on. i just jumped to the last post when i wrote this so i dont know if someone posted this already. but come on, i dont really care about gay marriage, cause im worying bout who is next person dying out there. im sorry if commin off as an ass, but this whole gay thing is just stupid. thank you for reading and im sorry if i offended anyone

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
Pak88 which bible would that be exactly?? the transcribed dead sea scrolls text? or the "modern" KJV??

I've put a link up for the definition of Vers ion

Homosexuality predates the bible by a long shot, so that kinda kills your argument right there

[edit on 30-5-2008 by thedigirati]

It is my opinion that you cant use the Bible in any valid argument because it is literature, not a scientific/research text. I know it was not allowed as a source in my srgument writing classes in college. I could be wrong, and I know this might start an argument in itself

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexed

First of all, there's nothing wrong with mocking religion. All religions deserve to be mocked, especially Christianity and Catholocism. Secondly, to believe that orgies in the street will happen is ludicrous. These people are being oppressed from expressing themselves, and the natural human reaction is an exodus of those feelings without care for the oppressors. There is also nothing wrong with sex and multiple partners. Perhaps children wouldn't freak out, if we weren't an abstinence teaching country and provided actual facts about sex to children at a young age. Thirdly, it seemed like you were trying to say bondage, masachism, etc. are all homosexual devices, they are not humans of all breeds practice.

Homosexuality has been around since the dawn of man. Every culture has stories of it. The world has not fallen into complete turmoil, except for the rampant greed that permeates the air. Homosexuality is not the end of anything, it is a natural human condition. Name one great negative event that has occured because of homosexuality, that didn't involve killing homosexuals because of close-minded thinking.

A better question is, imagine if you had a child that was born and they turned out to be gay. Would you see them as a sick human being, who deserved to be thrown out of society? Think about the people in your family, chances are some of them are homosexual. How do you think it makes them feel that you don't feel they deserve the same rights as you.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
[edit on 30-5-2008 by dragonfire2159]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelisshields
im sorry, im gay and what i think is that all this fuss with other gays getting married is rather dumb. people are are dying in the world and we all are worried about this subject, we need to all worry how to fix this planet were on. i just jumped to the last post when i wrote this so i dont know if someone posted this already. but come on, i dont really care about gay marriage, cause im worying bout who is next person dying out there. im sorry if commin off as an ass, but this whole gay thing is just stupid. thank you for reading and im sorry if i offended anyone

You cant offend anyone saying that and you shouldnt apologize. I look at threads like these to take my mind away from the dying for a little while. I moved out to the country and miss heated coffeehouse discussion with my artsy fartsy crowd. Debate keeps me mentally stimulated. I cant speak for anyone else. Im sorry that you are offended.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelisshields

People dying everyday happens more often then gays gettin' married, and it's natural too, meaning we can't stop it. So your whole statement is futile and usless. Also stop worroying, for you can't do anything about it anyways, just be happy

[edit on 30-5-2008 by pak88]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
well tank u for replying i just get frustated around this subject.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by angelisshields

Well, you're right. this is so petty in comparison to war. I have to admit I avoid most of the war related threads. I get too emotional about it.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexed

Actually perplexed, no I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing. They're using their freedom of expression. Also, the Folsom event is a fetish event. It is not a homosexual event, it is specifically for individuals who are into fetishes. As far as those people adopting children, do you honestly believe that there are no heterosexual people out there adopting children and putting them through hell? Here's a nice little story about some heterosexuals that adopted kids.

www.foxnews.com...

You're arguments against adoption are really about humanity in general. There is nothing specific to homosexuality. The truth of the matter is there is absolutely no difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual. We're all just human, and as such are all deserving of the same rights.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
i also do, my whole family was in the millitary, and i also plan on joining, so stuff like this gets to my heart

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by angelisshields

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I admit this is a small topic, but I think the root of it ties in with a problem with humanity, that being intolerance. I also think that wars are always started because of this close-minded approach that humanity takes. Hope I didn't offend you. Good luck when you join the military, may you be safe and your relatives in the armed forces.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I've read all the replies to your well-thought out thread. I personally don't think it's anyone's business who marries whom. If there is love there and two people want to be united in a ceremony that celebrates their passion, committment and love, then I say go for it. I REALLY don't think it should be a political issue.

I get tired of hearing the old saw.... "gays can't reproduce, so they have to convert." That kind of thinking makes me somewhat nauseous. I personally believe gays and lesbians are born.

I also think it's skewed thinking to construe sexuality as a "choice". Here's a little test: If you're straight, as I am, then think back..... figure out the moments that made up the time that you "chose". Did you consider the alternatives? Really? Did you ummmmm..... consider whether you'd want to be a catcher or a pitcher? Now I truly hope I don't offend anyone with my remarks. I myself never chose my sexuality. It just was. From my earliest memories of even having an inkling toward physical attraction, I knew I was attracted to the opposite gender. I think it's probably much the same for everyone.

I think it's important to talk about these things; particularly if talking about it makes us uncomfortable. Homosexuality is hardly a new development. They just ARE. What's important, in my opinion, is how we treat others different from ourselves. It'd be a damned boring world if we were automatoned through life with the same desires and feelings. And here on this site especially..... should we choose to persecute good folks for their sexuality? How does that shape into how we might treat a denizen from another species, from another world or dimension or plane of existance?

Ya get a star. Thanks for the thread.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
In regard to the Folsom events.... when we lived in S.F. area, it was thought to be an event for everyone, to express their freedoms, their individual expression. Everyone I knew that went anywhere near that area either enjoyed it, or stayed away. Same goes for when the Castro District was closed off for Halloween. Last time m'Bride and I were there, I was an executioner and she was an English judge, with the wig and all -- that was 1993, just before we moved here to the Caribbean. Do you know that the police took away my silly little plastic axe? True story haha! But the point is, it was for and about folks who enjoyed each other, and I've never known anyone to go around asking the nature of one's sexuality.

I want most of all for our legislators and politicians and lobby groups and what have you to focus on issues that truly matter -- things that enhance the probability of our survival, the survival of our economy, and the prosperity of our children.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonfire2159

I don't mean to offend you at all my friend, I have gay friends and this topic becomes heated and arguments arise! God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Suppose that you wanted to adopt a child, same sex parents would not raise the child as hetro parents would.

It is your choice my friends, and you must do as you please.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The reason is that some people are small minded and myopic in their thinking. I'll be honest here. I'm straight and I simply don't get the whole gay thing but I also have nothing against 2 consenting people being together. There are much more important things to worry about.

I believe many of those haters are from the RELIGIOUS REICH.

But it's not just gay couples.
Some people hate interracial couples, foreign couples, etc. Too much hate, not enough compassion in general.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
People protest and try to ban gay marriage because, frankly, some of us are so arrogant on the inside that we think that we actually know what's best for other people.

A genuinely idiotic statement.

I am a straight guy and a very religious Roman Catholic and I think that if Jimmy and Dave from down the street can do whatever the hell they want in their bedroom or otherwise. It's not my place to describe how they should live their lives.

Here are the factual Pros/Cons of legalizing gay marriage nationally:

Pros

-It makes people happy, the gay community in particular
-It falls right in line with everything this country stands for (i.e., ALL men created equally)
-More couples (gay) can get the privileges and benefits that come with legal marital status, which can assist in child raising

Cons

-I'll let you know when I can think of ANY

[edit on 30-5-2008 by CaptainIraq]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's pretty stupid how we always seem to focus on peoples differences when we have more in common than we don't...

Being gay is just one small part of the overall worth of a person. A persons body type is only a small part of their worth as a person. A disability is only a small part of a persons worth. Your 'contribution to society' is only blah blah blah...

Someone needs to give the pot a little stir maybe? Or turn the heat up...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonInMichigan
We know that all through history there have been a ton of gays. That's a fact. But did any of them marry? Has marraige ever been something that gays did? Why not? Was it necessary back then?

If two men lived together and everyone in the village sorta kinda knew they were "best buddies"...(Holmes and Watson anyone? Bert and Ernie perhaps?) and one died, did the State gov come in and kick the non- property owning partner out and take the property as a state possession? (it acctually happens ever day now - one has to sue to stop it) and that's what some gay couples have been dealing with over theyears. But did the state do that way back then, thus necessatating a legal gay marraige?

That's what I have been pondering... Is it fair that a gay partner can't make a life decision for his lover of say 20 years who is incapacitated with a heart attack? foget love, forget children, forget buggery and sin, for a minute and think about the basic rights you expect to have with a long term partner, either straight or gay... isn't everyone entitled to those rights? I don't know for sure... but for the time being I have to go with a resounding Yes. It goes hand in hand with the concepts of freedom and equality between all people of all walks of life. Religion seems to constantly desire to strip people of rights and freedom by its narrow minded constructs. (Please don't flame me for that last remark - take a breath and think about it. Who is most against the proposition of gay marraige?)

Peace,
Jon

Brilliant. Right to the heart of the matter. As I posted earlier, the problem is the gov sticking their big fat hairy thumb into things, only you said it much better.

Originally posted by the raytownian
It seems people are convinced gay men are just crazy sex-a-holics... well, they may be right... but that's because THEY ARE MEN. MEN WHO LIKE MEN WHO LIKE MEN... of course they are going to be more open and willing to get into sexual relations and what not... Men like sex... plain and simple... If a straight guy could, he'd screw any woman he wanted, but most women simply don't "give it up" as readily as most men do.

As a man who lived the gay life style for many years, I can tell you that you're dead on here. There is a lot of excess in the (male) gay community, and it stems from the fact that there is no mitigating female influence. Women are responsible for civilization. Men just do the heavy lifting.

IMO, having both a male and female role model is the optimum environment for a child, the parents always being the primary role models. Are there exceptions? Of course! Obviously, you’d rather a child be raised by a responsible same sex couple than by a wild-ass, drug abusing, child abusing, etc. hetero couple. But we’re talking about what’s best here, not wild extremes. I think that there’s a reason males and females are different, and that these differences work together to help develop a child into a properly balanced individual. Nature always has exceptions, but we should never confuse them with her norm.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by resistor]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join