It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people against gay marriage?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i never did understand why two people that love each other can't be united and under the same laws as every one else.

love is love... it's not that hard to understand.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As a libertarian, if something doesn't bother me, it's okay with me. Why couldn't blacks and women vote in the past? Those proposing the ban had their arguments, but in the end, they were allowed to.

If a woman or man, loves a woman or man, let them get married. As a married heterosexual male, I don't like to see people making out in front of me, whether their heterosexual or homosexual.

How about people who want to be polygamists and can afford multiple wifes and children? How about people who are in love with their pets and want to marry them? Once you open this box, it becomes a Pandora's Box. It's certainly a complicated issue, though.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
People are against gay marriage for the same reason they are against anything else. it's the ignorant fear of things they don't understand and the willingness to confront it to make it go away instead of opening their mind to generating an understanding of it.

I find it all quite ignorant because there is no one righteous enough to judge anyone else's right to be here or pursue what they wish.

"Life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" means nothing anymore, does it?

Gay marriage hurts nothing.
I have never been harmed by a homosexual, nor has homosexuality ruined my family like these religious fanatics try to push.

Since one is born a homosexual and not made into one like a lot of ignorant people try to say, do they not have a right to pursue marriage and family like heterosexuals do? Are they monsters? Um...no!

I think people, especially here in America need to grow up and mind their damned business. I have found through experience that most of the people so quick to jusdge this subject are usually the most disfunctional in society themselves.

I might not be able to see things through the eyes of a homosexual not being one myself, but my compassion for them and what they have to deal with day in and day out as PEOPLE ensures, I will defend them and their rights regardless of what anyone says.

I really wish we could get past stupid things like this, I really do.
live and let live...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chongun

I'm sure thas has been addressed already, but yea there are homosexual behaviors observed among non-humans. But some animals don't have female and male individuals.

However, I take great exception to the idea that it serves any valuable purpose, or is necessary. Animals display the wide range of deviance observed in people, (who are also animals, we just think they're special.)
Homo behaviors usually occurr in situations of over-crowding and resource limitation. Not exclusively. Apes will hump for fun and communication or to keep from hurting each other, but I question if this is actual homosexual behavior. It's fuzzy.

But animals...Cannibalism, nose-picking, incest, on and on. Just cuz an animal does it, doesn't make it ok. Natural, yes, but useful? hardly.

I am all for gay marriage, but you won't get me to say it isn't deviant or useless and indulgent. Sex may be fun, but it's only an evolutionary strategy to entice reproduction. I've been deliberately abstinate for long periods of time to conserve energy and was no worse for wear, really.

When you're in solitary confinement, masturbation is NOT recommended. It saps the will to live.

Go ahead and be gay. I'll defend your right, but you won't get me to say it's normal or that it isn't a sign of a society in decline.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by djerwulfe]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
History of same-sex unions

en.wikipedia.org...

well I don't care one way or another.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I've seen enough opinions in here, i have to say that truth is always and for every occasion, somewhere in the middle. Marriage does not always mean two people are in love. People could get married for other reasons like money. Does not mean that children will come. They could come without marriage also. Procreation is not happening in humans only after marriage. Concupiscence will start much earlier than the age of 18 years old. And finally, because we are in 2000 and not 1940, marriage has nothing to do with church. It has to do about an oath between two (occasionaly more) people. People get married nowadays because either they HAVE to (society some times push people to, even a pregnancy) or because they WANT to (e.g. when someone's dies or just leaves, the other party will have some benefits from the house etc). Not because church says so.
Marriage for me is just a sign on a piece of paper. Just like divorce. And does not unite humans. Love unites them.
My country currently does not allow the marriage of homosexuals. But eventually will, because the opposite is against the human rights of every constitution in every country.
Nature always had homosexuality in everydays life. But humans are not allowed. Why? Straight and monogamous in nature is somethink rare.
As a straight man, propably I wouldn't like seeing two 60 or 70 years old males or females kissing each other. But that's because I'm not used in such a view. But my kids propably will think that this is ok between two people that love each other.
Sin or no sin, is only in our head. If you feel guilty then you feel like you commited a sin. And that follows you around.
I also wouldn't know how i'd feel if I've heard that my kid is homosexual. I could love it or I could kill it. I just don't know.
But when a person is homosexual and does not, by any means, annoys me, then s/he can do anything they want to do. Who am I to judge them.
All that matters to me, is being a good person.
But I'm a bit skeptic about children. I don't have an opinion yet.
Thanks for listening me

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My understanding of the legal institution of marriage is to facilitate rearing of offspring for the furthering of the species and continuance of society. I understand that less than 20% of persons is a homosexual and that the larger majority of the populace disagrees that two of the same should have the benefits of a family that is procreating.

That said, I personally feel that marriage is a sham and should be only legally binding for the duration of the children living at home with both parents until a reasonable age. Marriage is a tax shelter, in other words. The "good intention" is for the couple to have less tax burden so that thier children have more resources, as far as I can surmise.

I think marriage, for legal and tax purposes, is for a heterosexual relationship. Civil unions (with no tax benefits unless they adopt - some families suck and two poofters is better than one crack head, if you know what I am saying) for homosexuals is cool. I think weddings are bull# money, emotion, and time sinks for all envolved (please watch a part of a cable show about weddings to see examples, heh), but that is the normal approach I assume. A wedding isn't marriage, standing in front of a justice of the peace and signing legal documents is...

Any one know why homosexuals WANT marriage other than tax breaks? Please explain?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have always been one against any kind of marraige, gay or straight, however I recently broke down and "eloped" with my live-in girlfriend of 5 years to gain certain legal benefits that come with marraige. (she can now make medical decisions on my behalf, automatic inheritance in the event of untimely death of either of us, tax breaks, her having access to my medical insurance benefits, etc.) We were both just satified with being in love and that was good enough until we realized we were getting screwed by not being legally married.

With that said, I feel that if gays want to marry... who am I to tell them no? I think they should be allowed! I'm certainly not going to deny them those benefits.

Gays want to make a legal life commitment - a legal contract, if you will, that can have serious consequences on the outcome of their rights as described above (the reasons I did it). Gays, just like hetros, can have spiritual ceremonies already like anyone else - anywhere, anytime - what matters to them is gaining legal rights (i'm pretty sure anyway - or why bother doing it - anyone in the USA can have a ceremony - it's a free country after all).

With that said... and my opinion stated... here is the meat of my post:

We know that all through history there have been a ton of gays. That's a fact. But did any of them marry? Has marraige ever been something that gays did? Why not? Was it necessary back then?

If two men lived together and everyone in the village sorta kinda knew they were "best buddies"...(Holmes and Watson anyone? Bert and Ernie perhaps?) and one died, did the State gov come in and kick the non- property owning partner out and take the property as a state possession? (it acctually happens ever day now - one has to sue to stop it) and that's what some gay couples have been dealing with over theyears. But did the state do that way back then, thus necessatating a legal gay marraige?

That's what I have been pondering... Is it fair that a gay partner can't make a life decision for his lover of say 20 years who is incapacitated with a heart attack? foget love, forget children, forget buggery and sin, for a minute and think about the basic rights you expect to have with a long term partner, either straight or gay... isn't everyone entitled to those rights? I don't know for sure... but for the time being I have to go with a resounding Yes. It goes hand in hand with the concepts of freedom and equality between all people of all walks of life. Religion seems to constantly desire to strip people of rights and freedom by its narrow minded constructs. (Please don't flame me for that last remark - take a breath and think about it. Who is most against the proposition of gay marraige?)

Peace,
Jon

[edit on 30-5-2008 by JonInMichigan]

[edit on 30-5-2008 by JonInMichigan]

mod edit: off topic comment

[edit on 30-5-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
People in love are people in love; whether they're homosexual or heterosexual. Marriage is a man-made concept based on societal norms.

Someone said children could be made fun of if their parents are of the same sex. That is still better than a child who lives with heterosexual parents who condone the child being raped, abused, neglected, etc. That is still better than living in orphanages throughout their early life.

Kids will be made fun of for so many reasons. Kids, in general, are cruel. Compassion is taught. I remember kids in my school who were made fun of because their parents were old, carried a cane, had no money, etc etc etc.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by manticore]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well, someone asked for a list of "animals" that have been documented showing homosexual activity. The only problem with that is their are far too many to list and would take multiple postings to show all mammals, insects, fish, birds etc. that have been found to exhibit homosexual activity.

I suggest if you are homophobic that you stay away from all living creatures, except maybe plants (though I did not research them). Though I am aware that many plants are hermaphrodites (meaning having both male and female reproductive organs).

Marriage (the idea of partnering) has been around far longer than Christianity. IMO government or religion or another person does not have the right to tell anyone who they can or can't have a relationship with.

I believe it is just another way for religion and government to have control over the population.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Fear? Self-Confidence? I have no clue, and to be quite honest I dont really care. My girlfriend and I (yes i am a lesbian) have talked about marriage but since we have the same views on the church and what it stands for, I dont think we would ever marry. Who knows though really.

What upsets me is that people can throw marrying animals into this! Thats a freaking joke. This isnt the Jerry Springer show. Its not anywhere near the same thing as two PEOPLE being in love.

Also, if I feel like giving my girlfriend a kiss , you better believe my face will be all over hers. Im not going to NOT hold hands with her, give her a hug/kiss because its not within your comfort level. And if someone does approach me because of it, they better be prepared for an earful.

AND one more thing. Why do we have festivals and parades etc.? Because if we dont celebrate us, and what we have overcome no one will.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Natural to be gay? WOW! Who sounds ignorant here? Incase you didnt know, the Native Americans used to believe in something called twospirits (i believe they still do) And this goes back at least 300 yrs. Educate yourself.

Originally posted by pak88
I'm against it, because two women can't raise a boy and two men can't raise a girl. And for you retards that compare Blacks and/or women with the gays of today, you sound plain ignorant...since when was it not natural to be black or a women, and natural to be gay
And when was it natural to make love in pooper? That's just plain sick
Union can only be between man a woman.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by pak88]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
first of all, let me say I totally didn't read every post, so flame away if I'm repeating anything...

I think a whole lot of the disgust/hatred/animosity that religious people have towards homosexuality is the totally stupid belief that homosexuals are somehow immoral (not even getting into the whole "cuz da babale sed sew" business.)
It seems people are convinced gay men are just crazy sex-a-holics... well, they may be right... but that's because THEY ARE MEN. MEN WHO LIKE MEN WHO LIKE MEN... of course they are going to be more open and willing to get into sexual relations and what not... Men like sex... plain and simple... If a straight guy could, he'd screw any woman he wanted, but most women simply don't "give it up" as readily as most men do.
I think this is where a lot of the feeling of being immoral or "unworthy" of (or otherwise INCAPABLE of) being in a monogamous relationships come from in a lot of homophobic people...

I had more to say, but I lost my train of thought... Once my brain gets unscrambled, I will probably get back to this...

Anyways, I do support gay marriage... even if I think marriage is silly... and it's also BIG BUSINESS...

AND IN RESPONSE TO ABOVE QUOTE: How many centuries have people practiced ANAL SEX?......... It's certainly nothing new... we can say this much about it.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by the raytownian]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pak88

Where is your proof of this? My parents (Male and female) were unable to provide for me so they gave me up for adoption. So really you really have no variable claims. The ability to raise a child rests on the ability of compassion and compromise between the parents and child(-ren). I also would LOVE to challenge that claim of yours that two women can't raise a child. I seriously hope laws don't follow the same logic that you somehow have come to terms with and allow gays/lesbians to marry. Even did a study on gays/lesbians back in high school, they are MORE than capable of raising a child and have all the love to do it, because people have suppressed them so much into not being allowed to do what they want that it just made it stronger. So again back to that claim that they can't raise a child? I wholeheartedly must disagree with what you say, and strongly at that.

Edit - Wording

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Leviatano]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Leviatano

All I'm saying is that a child mimics its parents, and two parents of the same sex kissing is not something you want your child to see. That's why we don't do drugs in front of kids, because they often mimic.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pak88

What would be wrong with that child wanting to be like their parents? Because the parents are homosexual does that make them bad people? The child is going to see enough people of opposite sex kissing etc. As far as people being made fun of, heck everyone gets made fun of at some point, that's just the nature of the beast called society. All for gay marriage here.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pak88

A child can choose to mimic. If they deem it's cool enough. I saw my parents kissing and horsing around or whatever you call it, leaves me with no desire to get married or the such though. So again it's a child's choice ultimately.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Here is my take on the subject.

I have no quarrels at all with gay marriages. If two people legitimately love eachother then I see no reason to stop them from confirming that love eternally.

But!

I do NOT think its ok for a gay couple to adopt children. Children need to be in a wholesome mother and father environment to learn gender roles as children and to grow up into a normal functioning adult. If a child was raised with two gay parents, he would not know the importance of a mother - he would not be able to associate certain objects that are feminine to other objects that are masculine because their parents would be confusing the hell out of them. Aside from that, a child in school with two gay parents is a walking case for suicide. Yes, its sad that we live in a world like this, but its true. That kid would never hear the end of it, and he will always be associated as being gay even if he was straight, due to the nature of his parents.

If men were able to deliver a child and feed a baby naturally - then I may have to change my argument, but for now, here is my conclusion.

YES they should be allowed to be married.
NO they should never be allowed to raise a child.

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for something you really believe in, if you believe in being married to a gay partner so much, then also go into it knowing that you should not be allowed to raise a child in such a confusing environment.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pak88

So by your OWN very Logic, druggy Hetrosexual parents are BETTER than Gay same sex Parents??

I had to re read that last post a couple times to make sure that IS what it said.

My wife and I do not have children, we Choose not to have them.

But to say the druggy parents are better ( by hiding it?) then openly gay parents.........is it 2012 already????

this edit is from the "wife"

You can never hide drug abuse from kids, they know, they know

[edit on 30-5-2008 by thedigirati]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join