Why are people against gay marriage?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pak88
No I said sodemy.

You said it man. If you spell that correctly, it should spell Sodomy, and that is ritual rape of strangers. Read your bible if you want to argue using it.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I guess I'll take the bait and answer your "question". First, Its not always fem and butch if thats what you mean. Thats a common misconception. I know many lesbian couples where BOTH of the women are more feminine than Paris Hilton.
On the other hand, yes, there are some couples where one of the partners is more "manlier" than the other. It doesnt have to do with the woman or man "needing anything" Its just what some couples prefer. Just like some straight men prefer blondes to brunettes.
It is what it is.

Second, where did you hear/read that this is an undeniable fact? You seem to have some inside knowledge on the lesbian/gay lifestyle that us "gays" are not even aware of...

Originally posted by mytquin
Can you gays answer my question about an undeniable fact? Why is it that in your twisted little world is there a Male-ish partner AND a feminine-type partner?
Is it because you have a need for the male-ish role and a feminine-type role. Huh...I wonder why that is.

Oh, that's right male and female were made to be together.

See how silly and wrong your gay relationships truly are?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytquin
My question still hasn't bee answered. And it IS an UNDENIABLE FACT that gays and lesbians have feminine AND butch rolls! WHY? WHY? WHY? It has nothing to do with a "time warp", c'mon is that the best you've got? It is a TRUTH you CANNOT escape isn't it?

I honestly don't understand what you mean, could be more specific with what you mean by "feminine and butch roles"? Are you saying you know of gay male couples where one man dresses as a woman?

I don't know any gay men who have a feminine and butch role - You sound like something from 30 years ago, asking "who's the husband and who's the wife?"

There are 'butch' lesbians and 'feminine' lesbians if you want to use that terminology - But so-called butch lesbians don't want to be a man, they're just dressing more "masculine" or is that just rejecting social norms of dress for something they feel more comfortable in? They don't want to BE male, they're lesbians - women who find women sexually and romantically attractive.

Edit: It just occured to be you might be coquettishly referring to sex - in which case you mean feminine and masculine roles with regards to sexual penetration? If so, I don't know where to start, we'd have to go back to square zero with you if that's what your mind's eye is stuck on. There'd need to be some long unraveling of words, meaning and social conventions to open up that box for you.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by VelvetSplash]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

thx.. that was my point.. that it was not homosexuality but ritualistic rape.. these are two different deals...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Maybe I can clarify this a little for you. I'm a femme lesbian married to my butch partner. It might be helpful if you try to look as biological gender as simply the mechanics of being human, and in terms of personality, and sexual and romantic attraction, there are a whole spectrum of genders....maybe dozens...which would explain why there are so many different combinations. Butch lesbian women...and I'm married to one...aren't trying to be men, don't want to be men, and their persona is deeper than just comfortable clothes worn as a political statement. They are masculine, or butch women, and it has very little to do with superficialities of clothing...it's how they are, how they are happy to be, and what makes them tick. Some women may look very butch, but be straight. I look straight, but am lesbian. There are many combinations of possibilities way beyond male and female, of whichever bio gender.
Does this help?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
had to give u a star and a flag on that post
.. caitlinfae u go with your bad self...

lol.. couldnt have said it better myself..

[edit on 2-6-2008 by scorand]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Aw Thank You!, Scorand, for the star and the flag......*blushing furiously*....tis just how it is! And I can't keep my gob shut when people don't understand........

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
A butch and a feminine partnering. Don't be so stupid, not only is that not true of all gay couples, it also happens in straight couples.

Out there in the big wide world there will be a male and a female soldier married to each other, both could be classed as 'butch' so if I go by the 'they need a butch and feminine partner because relationships are for a man and a woman' then I come up with the complete oppsite. it is a lifestyle, NOT because relationships are meant for a man and a woman.

And no I am not gay.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by umbr45]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I do understand that two people of the same gender can love each other unconditionally and I respect their decision to do so. However in my opinion the act of homosexuality is not normal and gay marriage would just be another step in telling our children that being gay is normal.

Throughout this thread I have seen all the religous aspects under attack. Im going to give the gay marriage supporters a scientific argument to attack. Im sure all of you are familiar with Charles Darwin and the survival of the fittest theory.

Basically this theory says that any species capable of reproducing itself will survive. Last time I checked, gay couples cannot reproduce and im fairly certain that is still the case.

In my opinion by supporting gay marriage we are teaching our children is that being gay is natrual and socially acceptable. How can we promote to our children anything that is detrimental to our suvival as a species as normal?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45
A butch and a feminine partnering. Don'st be so stupid, not only is that not true of all gay couples, it also happens in straight couples.

Haha. Not only are you arrogant, calling an honest soul stupid, but you also point out the obvious trying to make it seem wise. Look for Jesus instead, he's everywhere...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Firstly your comment had nothing to do with the thread, secondly I AM Christian so don't try and use a religion excuse.

I am not trying to make anything seem wise, I am pointing out that the poster who used that as a reason for gay marriage being wrong has no ground to stand on.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
This is a fair point. It's only a relatively recent idea that marriage is a bond of love and not of social and financial ties.

But if people want to believe in this modern fairy tale, shouldn't everyone have that right - regardless of sexuality?

Maybe in our society it is time for some kind of alternative arrangements?

Marriage is a very specific thing and should remain as such. I think the biggest problem with marriages today is that people really expect a lovey-dovey fairy tale that lasts forever, then reality sets in. Oh no, you mean my husband is going to always snore? Oh no, you mean my wife is going to get fat? OH NO! Time to cheat and ruin the marriage! Good thing divorce is acceptable now! Sure wouldn't want to honor a contract or put effort into anything!!!

LOL, maybe gay people are lucky that they don't have this trap.

I'm a straight male and I don't plan on ever having kids, therefore I don't plan on ever getting married. It is VERY possible to have a long-term-relationship for love/emotional reasons without having to complicate it with a marriage contract. All that love-excitement which is so strong at the beginning fades, and even if a strong bond remains people tend to grow apart. A passionate love reaches half-life at friendship. So, no point in making it hard to let this natural breaking-off occur with a marriage contract. The only reason to keep together at that point is for children: to further the species and improve society. And at that point it is no longer about you.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm new so excuse me if im not up to speed yet. this topic just jumped out at me.

I totally agree with gay marriages, to be honest i agree with any two consenting adults wanting to be joined in such a way. This is totally not the way i was brought up, i'm for a religious family and am somewhat religious myself but i dont think this is a religion subject.. if people are in love and want to commit to one another then let them do it. what harm can it do?

and by the way, im straight. : )

And lastly, as for the comment about gay couples adopting and there children being made fun of, my dad had a stroke when i was 8 and i was teased till i left school at 16 because of his disability.. kids will always find something to laugh at you about.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

the complaint about same sex marriage came up because people with archie bunker attitudes are of the opinion that because traditionaly it wasnt accepted before it shouldnt be now and they try to use the bible against it which the church and a lot of christians have missused for ever. when u tell some people that jesus never said anything about it being a sin to be gay, they try to pull out other books and their understanding of them.. heres a question for everyone.. when does a missunderstood tradition become dogma.. i think a majority are afraid to answer that truthfully to themselves because its been ingrained to never question church docterine because if you do you are questioning god.... however that wouldnt be the case the church isnt god it manipulates the book to keep themselves in control, no matter the cost.. and remember useing other books you are trying to trump jesus....

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

you are very welcome caitlinfae.. i cant help it either...lol

[edit on 2-6-2008 by scorand]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Regaurdless if you are TRYING to be a "masculine" or "feminine" gay or lesbian partner or not deliberately playing those rolls, you all do seem to be attracted to each other because of it... and NO I don't mean dressing in drag. The point I'm trying to make is that we are all attracted to the opposite sex because they have the differences we seek/need for a truely happy and successful traditional relationship. That is the way our creator designed us after all.

Look, my sister had some TERRIBLE things happen to her by a male relative when she was very young and she has had bad relationship after bad relationship ever since then. And yes she even tried the gay/lesbian lifestyle for a while and found that she was no happier in that relationship than in any other relationship she has ever been in. She is still looking for Mr. Right and she will not quit until she finds him. That being said, she was not BORN gay. She knew that THAT relationship was not natural and came to her senses and is now pursuing a traditional male/female relationship and is having a lot of fun doing it.

Oh yeah, my sister's former gay partner was and still is masculine!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonfire2159

I also have friends that become emotionally "heated" when discussing this subject. I have many gay friends as well. I have never understood why anyone would be against gay marriage. The only argument that anyone ever has always contains a religious basis. I've never known anyone who wasn't religious that argued against it. There is absolutely no one that is hurt when two people who love one another (and happen to be the same sex) get married. It's a victimless "crime" (hard to believe that it is a crime in most states). It's so outdated and primitive to actually be offended when gay people get married. It's so hard to find someone in this life that you are willing to wake up to every morning until you die- their sex shouldn't matter. Thanks for an interesting topic
I'll be anxious to see others' take on the matter.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mytquin

thats because she was exploring the idea as a possiblity.. she might be bi.
curious.. i do hope she finds mr. right

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mytquin

The ideas of masculinity and femininity are merely social constructs which we adhere to. I personally know men who are masculine that are straight and gay, and men who are feminine that are straight and gay. The same goes for women. Gender is socially assigned, it is not born solely based on sex. For instance, in some countries, straight men hold hands when they walk around. Something that might be seen as "feminine" in this culture, but is the status quo in others. There are also straight transvestites.

Individuals are attracted to opposites based on many factors. There is opposites in personality, upbringing, religion, culture, etc. It is not an attraction to opposites in a pure physical form. If that was true than men would find every woman attractive, but we don't. Everyone has specific criteria that they judge others to be "attractive", there is no one factor.

To speak of men and women in terms of their gender roles, in my opinion, requires the combination of sex and gender, which I feel is inaccurate. Rather, there are gender roles which are typcasted by our society, to the male and female role. There are always the "soft" boys and "tomboy" girls however, which show that these gender roles are not natural. For every example of someone who fits a gender role, there is the opposite. Gender roles, therefore in my opinion, are irrelevant. There is only male and female, physically, there is no "mentality" that those roles always take. Both sexes contain the full spectrum of human personalities and behaviors.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I haven't made it through this entire thread yet but I wanted to post my views.
In my opinion no matter what your personal preferences and beliefs are monogamy should be promoted wherever possible. because of the stability it brings to a community, the lessening of health risks and all around positive things that can and do come from healthy long term or life long committed relationships.

Love is love and family is family no matter what the individuals respective "parts" are.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join