It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines Bring Combat Training To Indianapolis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Marines Bring Combat Training To Indianapolis

www.blacklistednews.com

“Our aim in Indianapolis is to expose our Marines to realistic scenarios and stresses posed by operating in an actual urban community, thereby increasing their proficiency in built-up areas,” Col. Mark J. Desens, commander of the 26th MEU, said in a statement. “While some of the activity will take place around Camp Atterbury, residents in many areas can expect to see helicopters flying overhead, military vehicles on the roads and Marines patrolling on foot,” Desens said.

The Marines will practice firing weapons, conducting patrols, running vehicle checkpoints, reacting to ambushes and employing nonlethal weapons, according to a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Why would any mayor allow this in the city limits? It's creepy and surreal to think that we would have soldiers walking our streets--even if only for a week.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
How would you train a fighting force up to combat speed in an urban zone?

There's only so much you can learn from playing Grand Theft Auto,

No matter how good you get.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarlett1125
Why would any mayor allow this in the city limits? It's creepy and surreal to think that we would have soldiers walking our streets--even if only for a week.

I think that some city in Ohio was complaining about the same thing.

The Marines need to get training somewhere, somehow. This is a pretty good deal for them. Sure beats OJT.

And why is it "creepy"? Sure beats having foreign troops walking the streets, which could be the case if there wasn't a USMC. Remember, they (the Marines) are Americans, too, and have the same rights.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
That's why their training in real American cities. Because soon they will be patrolling our streets.

They have other places to train. My dad was an instructor here in NM and they have a whole town to practice urban combat situations in. I would get to watch sometimes. It was pretty fun.

But to know that they are actually training in an American city is very frightening. They are Americans too but they should never have to patrol American streets.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You are right. It's coming. While I understand what the others in this post are saying, it's still problematic because there is really no reason for this kind of patrolling unless there are ulterior motives. I, for one, do not want any soldiers anywhere near my streets. Let the government create a perfectly working city and use soldiers as the acting citizens if this is the kind of training that they want to do.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarlett1125
Let the government create a perfectly working city and use soldiers as the acting citizens if this is the kind of training that they want to do.

Why waste the money when you can just practice in the city? The Marines have never been known to be rolling in the dough to spend on a city mockup.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Like I said before they have whole towns where they go to practice combat training. They don't need to practice in real cities.

You know something bad might happen while they are training, and the Marines will be there to assist very quickly, then the government will say hey see how well it worked having soldiers there. Now we should put them in all major cities to help the local police forces.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by theendisnear69]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
Like I said before they have whole towns where they go to practice combat training. They don't need to practice in real cities.

Practicing in real cities gives them the training of dealing with civilians actually going about their daily lives and how to mesh with them when they do it for real.

Guys, it's just training. Try not to read too much into it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

They have actors and they are really good at it too, so the Marines don't really need to have actual citizens going about their daily lives to practice with.

I really hope that it's nothing but it's better to look into things and stay on your toes than to have something sneak up on you. Hey if nothing comes out of it I will be very happy

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Pineland comes to my mind. This is nothing new.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Pineland comes to my mind. This is nothing new.

Damn, forgot all about Pineland. The whole community plays in that game, and they enjoy it. Not too many, if any, complain about SF students running around.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by scarlett1125

Maybe it's because our NEW MAYOR is a JARHEAD!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
When the Germans were off- loading the poor Jews from the trains, I bet some of them couldn't wait to take a shower not knowing what was really going on. What happens when these marines are told to secure an area and the civilians don't want to play army with them? You don't subject civilians to military drills. This is what the USSR did. This is to condition you and your children to having troops walking down your street as normal. That is not America, it's South America.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This nothing but training. Another news source had a blurb about Arabic speaking actors. I would have no concerns about this as an American unless I spoke Arabic instead of English.

Too bad they aren't training with Spanish speaking actors. Then something be up in the air.

How much money will these solders bring to the local economy? Always a Burger King or McD's in the area of occupation.

top topics

join