It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast.net attacked by hackers..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Comcast has been attacked by hackers. Their main portal Comcast.net and all linked sites were/are down.

The hackers appear to have changed the Comcast DNS/WHOIS records which were pointing at a non-Comcast address. Although back to normal now, for a while the records displayed this data:

Administrative Contact:
Domain Registrations, Comcast [email protected]
Defiant still raping 2k8 ebk
69 dick tard lane
dildo room
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103
US
4206661870 fax: 6664200187

Technical Contact:
Comcast Corporation [email protected]
1500 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
US
215-320-8774 fax: 215-564-0132

Record expires on 24-Sep-2008.
Record created on 25-Sep-1997.
Database last updated on 28-May-2008 23:48:08 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS21.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.11
NS22.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.144.11

Only source I could find on issue.

Comcast is not well liked I guess.

Currently when I try to load comcast.net I get a blank screen.

[edit on 29/5/08 by Rhain]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well it appears to be a team of hackers that have been hacking sites for some time now. Here one they hacked in 2007.

blog.spywareguide.com...

They seem to have been hacking celebrity websites and have moved up to this now. The one I show here was hacked by a person named Tesla in the group of hackers calling themselves team kryogenics.

[edit on 05/16/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The recent attack against Comcast is due to their throttling of torrent traffic.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I can pull up Comcast.net on my browser.

However, after typing in "www.comcast.net" into my browser bar, the page that came up was "www.comcast.net\a". Perhaps they are forwarding their main page visitors onto a backup main page.

I am to afraid of the hackers and what they may have done to try and sign in to my email account.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

This was geared towards making a statement to Comcast and not towards individual users.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain

Comcast is not well liked I guess.
No they're not. They are higher than a cat's back in prices and would love nothing more than to be the sole provider so people do not have a choice and be the NWO agent of the Internets.

Here where i live the prices are outrageous! You cant get a single phone line, you cant get it for tv alone, you have to get the whole package and then they stick it to you royally.

They have billions from customers,
, i'm sure they're out of this world tech department can figure it out.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well, I have comcast and I don't have any problems with the service at all.

Ok...not that I like them, or like the high prices they charge, but just saying I have had no problems with service or email.

Comcast must be different up north because I have tv and internet...with no phone and they haven't made me, or even asked me to switch to everything. Sorry to all of you who are having such a hard time with them.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Their DNS account was compromised which allowed the perpetrator to alter DNS settings respective to their domain. Kinda funny really. On another note DNS phishing can be big business if people aren't careful. There are groups out there who thrive on this practice. For this case it was just pure negligence. Even conducting standard business over the phone is questionable in some cases given the increase in CID spoofing.

brill

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I have to admit I have worked closely in the cable industry and have to defend them a bit.

My service provider is Shaw Cable. I have a Soho account (small office, home office) and I pay 79.00 per month for a 10 meg line.

Comcast can give you a 16 meg line for residential use for 62.95. Boy do I wish I could tap into that.

Comcast high speed use to be 3 meg for 42.95 (8 years ago) today for the same 42.95 you get a 6 meg line. Or you can rent a 8 meg line for 52.95. Mind you these prices are for cable subscribers.

So ya the prices are high but they have not been raised for over 8 years.

Uploading kills any high speed cable service. That is why most service providers restrict it. You may get a speed of 6.6 meg download but your upload is restricted to 786. Otherwise no one will have high speed.

Torrents are speed killers because while you are downloading your Ipod songs and movies you are also uploading your files. Most knowledgeable users would adjust their upload rate but trust me most users have no idea how the software works and run it wide open. Plus the software remain active in the task bar constantly uploading.

All service providers have a User agreement which they follow. Most subscribers have never read through theirs.

I hate the high cost of high speed but for the money I pay I sure don't want the torrent users to cripple my service. So people turn the upload off.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Glad to have found this thread.

My Mother uses a comcast for her email and she is unable to get into her mail. It says the user name or the password is wrong.

There are reports that concerned users telephoning to inform Comcast were summarily disconnected, with a level of panic centered round the security of the Comcast email system with reports that the hackers were picking off Comcast user’s usernames and passwords. As yet, this is unconfirmed.

From the source in the OP. Seems like this is what happened to her. She can't even access it from another computer.

I guess that system restore won't be necessary.

Edit to add: Comcast mail is now working for her.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

If everyone followed your advice and turned their upload feature off then there would be no torrents to download!

If you are going to hand out advice then please be a little bit more helpful.

For example Utorrent requires users to permit a global upload minimum of 6kps. If users set that limit to a lower speed or disable uploads entirely then they will be penalised with slower download speeds or even automatic bans.

I'm sure most other torrent clients have similar minimum requirements.

If people want to use a torrent service the very least they can do is seed while they download.

top topics

join