It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with Gideon Bibles?

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have a question about this for anyone that knows.

I took my boyfriend to the hospital yesterday.

He is doing well, but my question is, when I went to put some of his personal belongings into the night stand next to his bed, there were 2 Gideon Bibles in there.

Is the Gideon Bible the same as the King James Version? Given the situation at the time I did not take the time to pick one up and look.

Why is it when I go travelling anywhere and open a drawer in the room, there is a Gideon Bible?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
No conspiracy. Just a kindness to those away from home and their Bibles. They are in many Hotel rooms as well. Since more than 80% of us in America use the Bible, it is welcomed by most people. The only negative things I've ever heard about the practice came from radicals who want to censor what people can read. It's like Cable TV in that if it is not wanted, simply do not open it and read it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate how they think people need a Bible by their side.

I didn't get to read one while I was there, but what I want to know is if they are akin to a King James Bible, or if they have changed it in some way?

From what I recall, anyone who picks up a Gideon is encouraged to keep it if they want to.

I was just surprised to see 2 copies in the drawer. I think I will bring one home since there are 2 of them.

Do you think that would be ok?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hey, I go to a catholic school/college and some people from the Gideon society or foundation or what have you came to talk to us about this so I'll clear it up for you.

A guy called gideon promised his dying mother that he'd read a section of the bible everyday. This took him nearly two years. He was so moved and changed by this experience that he thought it his duty to tell others. This is why Gideon bibles are found in hotels, hospitals and even prisons not only in the US but here in the UK too. They gave us all a bible after that talk and I still have mine. It's just an act of human compassion, to give people who are suffering or lonely some sort of comfort. It's a lovely gesture really.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The ones I've looked at were the King James.
Gideons International
Their website explains what they do better than I could.

[edit on 5/29/2008 by Blaine91555]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HarlequinHannah

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should google it to find out more.

I agree it is a lovely jesture, heart felt.

I'm going to bring one of the books home to read and compare with my KJB to see if it is the same.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Thanks for the link Blaine.......I look forward to reading it to find answers for my questions.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

the latest gideons bibles are the new american standard bible version---------written in modern english------no more thee's and thou's etc.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My dear in-laws are Gideon members and work in their state at the organization's meetings and conventions. It brings great joy to them to dispense these Bibles to hospitals, etc.
Interestingly, my sister was at a hospital with her husband in an area with many Asian immigrants, and she brought me a Buddhism book from the hospital, placed there alongside the Gideon Bible to help with patients' spiritual needs.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
it is a biblical law to give 10 percent of what we have earned to G-D
since there is no longer an aaronic/levitical priesthood to tithe to and the churches are in such a mess that it is hard to figure out which 1 really is G-D's true church----my wife and i give part of G-D's tithe to the gideons

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

yahn, I will tell you that your tithe to the Gideons goes to helping others to receive comfort, strength, and knowledge in times of great need. My son was in a Children's Hospital with a very serious brain injury, and I stayed at a home for patients' families. The hospital, in their wisdom, made families take time off from being with the patient 24 hours, to get physical and mental rest. Each family bedroom at the house had a Bible, and reading it during those "off" hours provided great comfort, strength and wisdom. You know, when an emergency happens, one does not always have their personal/family Bible with them, so the Gideons provide a great service.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
My dear in-laws are Gideon members and work in their state at the organization's meetings and conventions. It brings great joy to them to dispense these Bibles to hospitals, etc.
Interestingly, my sister was at a hospital with her husband in an area with many Asian immigrants, and she brought me a Buddhism book from the hospital, placed there alongside the Gideon Bible to help with patients' spiritual needs.

What a beautiful gesture!
I wish it was a gesture that was carried out more often.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well, the first time I took the bible seriously is when I picked up a Gideon Bible in a hotel room in Hong Kong. It was in a drawer and the color of the Bible was light blue with Gideon logo on it - lamp. All of the Gideon Bible I picked up have only the new testament. I didn't know it was free, so I felt kinda guilty packing it up in my luggage. lol

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
they're pretty good!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

thanks for letting us know that my wife and i are on the right track in this way of helping others with G-D's money.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
No conspiracy. Just a kindness to those away from home and their Bibles. They are in many Hotel rooms as well. Since more than 80% of us in America use the Bible, it is welcomed by most people. The only negative things I've ever heard about the practice came from radicals who want to censor what people can read. It's like Cable TV in that if it is not wanted, simply do not open it and read it.

In addition to the above, it is also a missionary work. Basically if you're sitting in your hotel/hospital room bored and you open a drawer, there's a book for you to read because Gideon and other Christians find it the most interesting and important one to read.

I recall walking out of the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. on a school trip and was handed a Bhagavad Gita by a group of indivduals handing them out. I said thank you and accepted the gift. Although I didn't read it because I had no clue what it was about, it turned out to be required reading in World Religions in college. Having read it, I can say I'm glad I did because it helped me understand cultural differences. It isn't where my faith is, but appreciate the gesture nonetheless. What's strange is the perception that when a Christian receives a gift that isn't Christian that they'd throw it to the ground and yell, "Heathen! You will burn!" or somesuch. Perhaps there are people like that, but I don't know any. I've welcomed Jehovah Witnesses, Pagans, Mormons, Wiccans, and athiests alike into my home and had religious discussions. Not once did anyone raise their voice. ATS on the otherhand turns into a verbal bloodbath from time to time. I guess things are different when we're hiding behind a screen.

Glad to hear the Gideon Bibles are now in more modern English. King James is a hard read for most of us. I didn't know they were free, but were confident they weren't concerned if you took them. Happy to hear it is indeed a true gift to those who want it. The towels aren't...or so my significant other told me when we got home and found I accidently packed the hotel towels up with our personal ones. Oops.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I used to be an Assistant Manager at a Motel and delt with the people from Gideons_International. They would give us plenty of books to keep the bedside drawers stocked.

The sad thing about it is most people just pick it up as something anoying and through it in the trash can. If they are there for like a week lond then a lot of the times it ends up in the garbage bin outside.

I tell the people from G.I. that alot of them are getting throw away or even lost in the garbage bins. They reply say that it's ok they have plenty for everyone.

A quick note to everyone, there is no financial gain to anyone doing this and that is so rare in this day and age.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

in old covenant times the tithe could have been one of us giving an animal for a sacrificial offering to G-D.
i think that in the new testament time G-D is more interested in having the tithe used to help those that seek for Him----and gideons appears to be part of that help.

top topics

join