It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coach let go after parent tried to convert Muslims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Coach let go after parent tried to convert Muslims

detnews.com

A veteran wrestling coach at Fordson High School lost his job amid concerns that his one-time assistant, who is a local minister and parent of a wrestler, attempts to convert local Muslim youths to Christianity.
The developments occurred as officials and parents grapple with conflicts over faith, education and the future of a predominantly Muslim school, amid one of the largest Arab populations in the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am a little bothered by this story because apparently this happened away from school grounds. Is it because of the fact they are muslim?

detnews.com

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

story kind of says it all, they were muslim and i wouldnt be supprised if he didnt try and convert others of other faiths aswell.

one thing i dont like and thats missionairies (from all faiths and even my own)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

I am a little bothered by this story because apparently this happened away from school grounds. Is it because of the fact they are muslim?

detnews.com

Maybe, maybe not. But it is annoying, I've had a preacher talk to me non stop at a bus stop before, for like 10 minutes, and I could barely get a word in! lol

A lot of what he said was really offensive to muslims, and non christians etc, and he kept talking about jesus jesus jesus, non stop! And how I should accept him as god, who died for me, or I will burn. I told him if I want to know about this religion I will research it myself, I don't need him to preach to me.

Then the bus came and I was so happy and relieved, because when someone talks so quick for so long it becomes stressfull and hard to concentrate. Anyway guess what? he sat by me on the bus! and preached to me for the whole 30 min bus ride
...........I almost died.....

Anyway you ever had to listen to someone who never stops talking? and when you try to talk they continue on and on forever, it really gives you a headache litrelly! haha.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Totally agree with you, but did you ever think to say, hmmmm, STFU? I mean, I have in my life. So it would be better to fire people than warn them to change? I know you are not attacking, I'm just saying, is all.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
hang on a sec, WTF, the coach was sacked because he had a christian minister as his assistant, seriously, thats what he was sacked for.

it is the ministers job to attempt to convert people, literally, his job. he did so when he had his ministers hat on. he didn't do so as part of his assistants role. the coach never witnessed him doing it and so had no reason to get rid of the guy.

either way, it's besides the point, the coach didn't attempt to convert kids, he was just associated with the man. am i the only person who sees something wrong with this?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Totally agree with you, but did you ever think to say, hmmmm, STFU? I mean, I have in my life. So it would be better to fire people than warn them to change? I know you are not attacking, I'm just saying, is all.

I don't think it would have mattered, he had that "crazy" feel to him! whatever I would have said he would have kept talking, I did get a little angry with him, but he didn't stop, so I thought it wasn't worth it, I didn't need an argument with a man like him lol, so I just ignored him until I got off.

"So it would be better to fire people than warn them to change? I know you are not attacking, I'm just saying, is all. "

I don't know about that, I just think it is a little annoying, but of course he probably shouldn't get fired right?

[edit on 29-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I don't think it would have mattered, he had that "crazy" feel to him! whatever I would have said he would have kept talking, I did get a little angry with him, but he didn't stop, so I thought it wasn't worth it, I didn't need an argument with a man like him lol, so I just ignored him until I got off.

this is one reason you need a MP3 player
if someone starts buging you just plug in and listen to some tunes
shuts them up fast aswell

[edit on 29-5-2008 by bodrul]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

this is one reason you need a MP3 player
if someone starts buging you just plug in and listen to some tunes
shuts them up fast aswell

[edit on 29-5-2008 by bodrul]

LOL, the funny thing is I did have one, but it didn't block out anything hahaha.
He was one of those black preachers you see on the street, but instead you get a close and personal bus ride with him, lol.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
hthe coach didn't attempt to convert kids, he was just associated with the man. am i the only person who sees something wrong with this?

I know how you feel I read that and I'm like WTF?
it was the "assistant"
not the coach that tried to convert. I guessed they nailed him because if he knew the assistant was preaching or trying to convert students then he should of let him go regardless if the coach was of the same faith

You know that whole thing about separation between church and state yadda yadda blah blah blah etc

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

lol, I'm an Atheist, I get those wackos preaching to me all the time. I usually manage to find huge holes in their logic and poke at them while they're preaching.

With him, I would have managed to connect his preachings with some form of judgment made by him, and told him he's going to hell for breaking one of his own commandments. Not to judge.

But thats just me. When you get barked at constantly from religious types, returning fire becomes a bit of an art form. It almost becomes fun!

Though, I still wish they would understand why "live and let live" is not just a good idea, it's almost necessary for personal progression and self learning.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I am trying to imagine if it was the other way around. For example, if a kid was christian and some guy was pushing Islam. However, if this was not on school or event time, then no, there would have been no case. I would have merely told my children how to handle people like that, and then spoke to both the coach and assistant myself. I believe it is because this was offending muslims.
The truth is, no one respects christianity because of the hypocrites. Respecting Islam is now PC.

I could understand if the coach had named the ball "Muhammad".

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Hahaha now try listening to that stuff everyday. Christian school is definitley not fun.

But are we really that brainwashed that we can't even be around Muslims for fear of losing our jobs. They are completely different than how the media portrays them.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
My ex Girlfriend went to Fordson . She said that place was the worst smelling school she ever walked into .. The people were cool tho . I mean when your in the biggest Muslim community in the states you get used to there culture.

This is just more of the same old same old.. Religions thrive on children/ young adults .(see sig).. Especially in low/middle class. And Dearborn is nice . But definitely not Hollywood..

If you guys want more info on the school area ect . Let me know . I can try to do a little reporting

The school is probably 5 miles from me if that ..

[edit on 29-5-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Is there more to this story?

It just seems like something is missing.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I agree. Is there more to this story than what is being reported? Otherwise, if this is why he is being fired, or not rehired if you will, then he has a case for the ACLU,, which, of course, they won't touch.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I agree. Is there more to this story than what is being reported? Otherwise, if this is why he is being fired, or not rehired if you will, then he has a case for the ACLU,, which, of course, they won't touch.

Why wouldn't the ACLU touch it?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Case history, or at least the ones I see getting press. How would the ACLU ever defend a christian anywhere. Though, I don't know yet if race is a suspect in this either. Still waiting on information.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Case history, or at least the ones I see getting press. How would the ACLU ever defend a christian anywhere. Though, I don't know yet if race is a suspect in this either. Still waiting on information.

I am not being personal.

But - I really don't think you understand what the ACLU is for.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Most Evangelists can really make other people uncomfortable because they are pushy. It got to where I couldnt get gas or window shop where I lived in MD because they would come up to me and ask me if my name was in the "book of the lamb" or just start a conversation with the intention of preaching to me. They would act like friendly people, get your guard down and then start with the preaching. Once I was in a coffee shop having some quality time with my daughter (who was 4 or 5 at the time) and a man came up to us, complimented her (she is pretty
) and then asked to evangelize to HER. Well at least he asked, but I told him no.

OK- my point: I agree there has got to be more to the story. I wonder if the "assistant" was getting around enough in the community that the parents were very familiar with his preaching/ evangelizing and did not want him around their kids on trips to wrestling matches.

Also, this is not just religion but also culture- If "we" (non-Muslims) are bothered by Evangelists, then the Muslims are probably bothered 100 fold. This may have been a threat to their way of life. I hope a Muslim can weigh in to offer insight.

One last bit- if the Pricipal (sp) simply did not renew the contract, does there have to be a reason? Could this be a spin by the coach to make it something it is not?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join