It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Farming for Survival Protein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Here's an interesting post I fould on Survivalblog about raising fish as a food source in SitX. In the mean time it could help cut down your grocery bill and add some extra income to your budget.

Note especially the comments by Mr. Rawles at the bottom of the article. If you don't know who Mr. Rawles is he wrote the absolutely fantastic book Patriots Surviving The Coming Collapse

Fish Farming for Survival Protein

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Interesting thought for sure. That would be a good way to survive because the public areas would be filled to the max with fisherman looking for food so farming your own area. Good post and good article was quite useful.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Thanks mybigunit. I'm hoping these links will get people thinking about the numerous options that are still available to them pre-SitX.

As the Boy Scout and Joe Hallenbeck say: "Be Prepared".

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just last week I was joking with a friend about 'getting busted' for illegal fish farming. He and I have sort of rambling freestyle sessions of what ifs, and first the scenario involved salmon in aquariums in a storage unit, but after we realized that wouldn't work due to spawning etc, we started pondering 'organic lobster ranching' in double wide trailers with the walls stacked with aquariums floor to ceiling, filled with overfed lobsters. Maybe you had to be there, but in our minds it would be a sort of COPS/Reno 911 situation for officers to come upon. Yeah, maybe you had to be there...

Either way, I did a bit of 'research' and surprised to find that there are certain vague regulations that would cover situations like I described, but more importantly, there seems to be a widespread 'ban' on 'captive' sport fishes throughout the United States. I can't find the links now, but I am sure someone with a better understanding of the hunting and fishing laws would know.

I guess getting small lobsters and growing them big for profit in the comfort of my own home will have to wait for now.
DocMoreau

[edit on 29/5/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
SO its actuallyILLEGAL to farm your own fish? If so why?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've been looking for information on this, but have found nothing that says it's illegal. I guess you could check with your local Fish & Wildlife office if you want to know for a certainty.

I did find this really cool article though on raising catfish in a barrel! LOL

Raising Catfish in A Barrel

[edit on 5/29/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Maybe it only has to do with certain species of fish, or maybe it has to do with catching 'wild' fish, and then keeping them in aquariums.

I wish I could find the links. Either way, I still think farming fish in aquariums in your home would be against zoning, maybe not 'illegal'

DocMoreau

I still have not found the 'links' I was referring to. I seem to find a bunch of forums that have information about people doing it already, so if it is illegal, oh well....

I did see some interesting anecdotes, one remarking how if you keep native fish species as aquarium fish, they actually count towards your daily catch total, each day, so if you catch a Bass, and keep it, then you can never catch more Bass... I don't know if that holds true everywhere, and it seems like only certain states have laws (that I cannot find) about the matter. I bet it has more to do with endangered species than much of anything else.

Here is an interesting tidbit I found:
www.thekrib.com...

Here's what I know about the above species:

Sunfish: Treat them like a cichlid. They don't set up large
territories per se, but the do set up a pecking order. They'll eat
anything, and will within a short time of capture eat flake food. As
for tank size, it depends on how man and the size of the fish. I kept
several small specimens in a 55g, but these fish were around 2".

Bass: I have one now in a 33 Long (48x12x12). This is a predatory
fish that, while initially does not like being kept in a tank (Mine
jumped out several times initially), they adapt well. They will eat
ONLY live MOVING food. Be prepared to spend some money each week on
bait fish from a fishing store. Nothing in the tank is safe,
regardless of size. If it can't swallow it whole, it will worry it's
prey into stress death. Expect this fish over the long haul to get
18+ inches.

The others I have not kept, and know little about.

And a couple of more links related to the matter, but perhaps not directly...
Can I Keep Native Fish?
Native Fish for the Home Aquarium
Where can I catch wild aquarium fish?

The North American Native Fishes Association, Inc. (NANFA)

Hope that helps, see you all later...
DocMoreau

[edit on 29/5/2008 by DocMoreau]

top topics

join