It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain...too old to be president?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
John McCain was born on Aug 19th, 1936. Making him 71 years old, and soon to be 72. If Mr. McCain is elected president, he will be the oldest elected in history. The oldest since Ronald Reagan, who was 69 when elected.

I'm not a person that will bash the elderly in any way shape or form, but after watching Mr. McCain throughout the election process, he seems to be losing a step. I remember about 2 years ago that he was a vibrant, healthy looking and acting man, and looked nowhere near his age. However, lately, perhaps caused by the stress and immense pressure he is under, he has started to show and act his age.

When speaking, he seems to stumble over words and phrases more often. When he walks, he now sort of does a stiff shuffle.

My question to you is, should there be an upper age limit for a president? Is it wise to have someone of that age in charge and with their finger on the proverbial button?

Don't bash me please...I am undecided on this issue, just want other opinions.

Thanks.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
...just want other opinions.

Yes. In my opinion he is too old to be president.

The mandatory retirement age in the US is what? 65?

Why do politicians get a pass and get to stay in power -in POWER! - past the point they go senile (like Reagan) or get too sick to go on?

Time to step aside and smell the roses grandpa.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Good point Gools. As a Canadian, I don't know the US laws that well. Is there a forced retirement age in the United States?

Also, what you say about Reagan is true....Perhaps McCain is in great health physically and mentally, but 3-4 years from now can make a huge difference.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

In my personal opinion, yes. Jon Stewart made me laugh with his summary of McCain releasing his health records. 1,500 documents from 2000-2008 released for only three hours on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, it sounded a bit disenginuous to me. Here is that clip I mentioned:Jon Stewarts clip.
*edit* We may as well set a limit- There are already age requirements (*for president) so why not? But personally I think we can go without an upper echelon on the age requirement.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by beaverg]

[edit on 29-5-2008 by beaverg]

link   

Originally posted by Gools

The mandatory retirement age in the US is what? 65?

Why do politicians get a pass and get to stay in power -in POWER! - past the point they go senile (like Reagan) or get too sick to go on?

No, there is no mandatory retirement age in the U.S. In fact, I work with somebody who is 75.

No, I don't think McCain is too old to be POTUS. It's about the individual, not their age.

I do think there should be some sort of standardized test the candidates should be forced to take. The test would cover history, economics, and current events, and the results should be made public, question by question.

I think it would be much cooler to have candidates take tests on national television than go through these stupid debates.

link   
reply to post by sensfan

He's showing the signs of an impending stroke. Doesn't matter. Who they choose for VP is what matters. It will play with a smoothness only neo/nazi-cons can pull off.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
"FULL" retirement age is 67... not mandatory. I think maybe 63 sould be the cutoff to run for Pres. -- that's 67 after 4 years, and 71 if a 2-termer... I think that cutoff of 63 is even too old, but one cannot run for Pres. til age 35... I was thinking more like 60, so I suppose a few extra years won't hurt too much.

And, YES -- this man is too old to be President. Frankly, I'm very tired of ALL these dust-farters in D.C. Look how badly they've screwqed things up. And people want to keep voting them in...?
This country deserves what it's got coming to it, for continuing to put these old, uptight, bitter morons in office.

And I've noticed the shuffle... the lack of even semi-sharp mental skills... and please notice that he does not even 'carry' himself as a 'leader.' Take note of how he is when he is seen shuffling by Bush's side... he's like the shy little brother, simply lost in the world and tagging along. It's freakin' pathetic and he's not much better on his own.

And I almost threw up when I saw that his B-day (8-19) is the same as mine

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Oh, I don't think McCain is TOO OLD to be president. That's why there is a 'Vice President' to take over if McCain happens to fall asleep on the job. His mind seems willing but his body seems to be going faster. Go get some rest, Mr. McCain. Zzzz!

[edit on 2008-5-29 by pikypiky]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't think he is too old for president. The old people are the rulers and head masters in many countries around the world, also in history,this because they have more experience, probably no more knowledge but experience in their respective field.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Draconian]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Interesting issue, while I feel that McCain is quite into age to be a president and take all the stress that the position will bring even on the healthiest of men, is an increased feeling that the powers behind America's government will have him as the selected president.

So the person of importance here will not be McCain at all, but the one that will serve as the VP, so people we should be very, very aware of that person will be.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
No, I don't think McCain is too old to be POTUS. It's about the individual, not their age.

I agree.

Of course, if he picks 36 year old Gov. Bobby Jindel as his VP (as some think he will), then perhaps it will 'even out' McCain's being so old??

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Should we be concerned about age or ability? President's like Kennedy proved that age really doesn't matter....does it? The leader of any country could go at any time for various reasons.

Give me someone with integrity and a desire to improve the lives of the people in the United States. Even the latter by itself would be a nice change.

CHANGE

Somebody give that guy some spare change.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think his old but I dont believe his too old to become president. Besides didnt he just release his medical records? it shows that his healthy enough.

I dont support McCain but I dont see why this should be the reason not to vote for him just like all the stupid reasons people come up with not to vote for the other candidates.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
No, he's not too old. As others have said, its about the individual, not a number.

McCain's detractors aren't doing themselves any favors with this line, IMO. If they're not careful, they're going to pi$$ off the old farts in this country and, as much as any other group, old people vote. If the Dems keep trying to paint McCain as incompetent or unsuitable for the position due to his age, they may just end up with a nasty backlash out of that group on election day.

top topics

join